Re: The Pupil Goes Back To School ...

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2007
      On Saturday, March 31, 2007 at 13:41, Serge Maandag (yahoo) wrote:

      > It's true that with a fisheye the NPP depends of the angle at which light
      > enters the lens surface. I wrote a page about that:
      > http://pano.maandag.com/index.php?id=57
      >
      > But it shouldn't give you unstitchable results if you are a few mm off the
      > NPP. Be sure to optimize horizontal and vertical shift though. That usually
      > makes a lot of difference.

      Usually (as a beginner) one pays far too much attention to the NPP
      and less or none to other causes of stitching errors. The NPP plays a
      role *only* if there are subjects at different distances in the
      overlap region, and they probably are evident only if the distance
      between near and far subjects is relatively large.

      The usual causes of stitching errors are:
      - not allowed to optimze all necessary parameters for a task.
      - wrongly or not calibrated lens
      - too few control points for the amount of parameters to optimize
      (see: http://wiki.panotools.org/Perspective_correction )
      - sideways or up-down displacement of the rotation axis.

      best regards

      --
      Copyright (c) 2007 Erik Krause
      Verbatim copying and distribution strictly forbidden