Re: Lost Link to simple pano bracket

  • Carl von Einem
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 31, 2007
      I can only warn everybody to treat aluminum with brute force (a hammer
      or other sudden impact) and still use that part in situations where your
      or another persons life might be in danger if that part collapses.

      There is a reason that a freeclimber will exchange that part of his/her
      gear (made from aluminum) ASAP if dropped. Aluminum will get very fine
      cracks (fissures) and break some time later without a warning.

      I had such a situation with my bike's handle bar. It collapsed almost a
      year after I had a little accident where the bell seemed to be the only
      "victim". Instead the impact from the other object on the bell resulted
      in above mentioned fissures. And nearly in a second accident.

      Remember that not only your valuable camera / lens might be damaged but
      you or other persons might get hurt severely.

      Carl

      Posted by: "Roger Berry"

      > Take a heavy piece aluminum, a large
      > hammer and use a vice to bend the aluminum.
    • Roger Berry
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 31, 2007
        In the vice jaws I put some scrap pieces of aluminum on each side to
        protect the piece that I'm working on and instead of a sharp bend I
        give it more of a roll. Also some pieces of aluminum will bend
        better than others.
        I also use ¼ inch aluminum flat bar and after bending it I think it
        could be run over by a car without hurting it.
        Here is a slideshow of the first one that I made. It did have some
        small cracks at the bend but the bracket is so thick there was no
        worry about it breaking.
        http://www.camelphotos.com/pano_head.html

        Roger Berry
        http://360VRphotos.com

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 31, 2007
          On Saturday, March 31, 2007 at 10:51, Carl von Einem wrote:

          > There is a reason that a freeclimber will exchange that part of his/her
          > gear (made from aluminum) ASAP if dropped. Aluminum will get very fine
          > cracks (fissures) and break some time later without a warning.

          Sorry, but this is a myth that has been refuted by the "DAV
          Sicherheitskreis" (german alpine club - safety section) several years
          ago. According to Pit Schubert this applies to climbing gear, because
          it constits of a special type of aluminium alloy. Cheap aluminium
          profiles will probably behave differently...

          However, stainless steel is far worse in this regard. Who ever
          climbed the "Boulder Highway" (Grimsel, Switzerland) in the late
          eighties knows what I'm talking about...

          BTW.: The DAV magazine is named "Panorama" - only to get at least a
          bit back on topic ;-)

          best regards
          --
          Copyright (c) 2007 Erik Krause
          Verbatim copying and distribution strictly forbidden
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 31, 2007
            With a setup like this going on a pole, I would be more worried about
            the small ¼ inch threads on the knob that hold the camera and bracket
            in place. A lot of them used in photography equipment are made out of
            aluminum. The ones that I use are stainless steel.

            Roger Berry
            http://360VRphotos.com
          • Ian Wood
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 31, 2007
              On 31 Mar 2007, at 17:36, Roger Berry wrote:

              > With a setup like this going on a pole, I would be more worried about
              > the small ¼ inch threads on the knob that hold the camera and bracket
              > in place. A lot of them used in photography equipment are made out of
              > aluminum. The ones that I use are stainless steel.
              >
              > Roger Berry

              Yes, I've never really trusted 1/4" alu screws. Stainless or brass
              1/4", or for heavy stuff 3/8" brass for everything but table-tripods,
              for me.

              Ian
            • Blake Michaelson
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 31, 2007
                This works quite well for me -
                http://geekography.com/polepano/polepano-82mm.htm - although it is nearly
                identical to those mentioned earlier - btw they've been powdercoated with a
                black medium texture now. I recently found that although, although designed
                for spherical panos with the Canon 350D and the Peleng 8mm, it works really
                well for single-row panos (i.e. non-spherical) with the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens
                that everybody loves, I haven't done much testing, but I was pleased with
                my initial results.

                On 3/31/07, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

                > On 31 Mar 2007, at 17:36, Roger Berry wrote:
                >
                > > With a setup like this going on a pole, I would be more worried about
                > > the small ¼ inch threads on the knob that hold the camera and bracket
                > > in place. A lot of them used in photography equipment are made out of
                > > aluminum. The ones that I use are stainless steel.
                > >
                > > Roger Berry
                >
                > Yes, I've never really trusted 1/4" alu screws. Stainless or brass
                > 1/4", or for heavy stuff 3/8" brass for everything but table-tripods,
                > for me.
                >
                > Ian

              • Peter Reimer
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 2 2:58 AM
                  Roger Berry schrieb:
                  > Is this what you're looking for?
                  [...]
                  > http://www.camelphotos.com/pic3/pano_head.jpg

                  Thank you Roger, that was the one i remembered.

                  Greetings,
                  Peter
                • Carl von Einem
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 2 7:33 AM
                    Thanks for that information about climbing gear, nonethelesss I will
                    still try to be very careful with both my climbing and photography
                    equipment in the future :-)
                    I know the DAV magazine but only read it from time to time. I always
                    appreciated their technical discussions and tests about security issues.

                    So when constructing self made panorama brackets using aluminum from
                    "unknown" sources one should still take into account other possible ways
                    to minimize weight AND keep it both simple and safe. See my first self
                    made bracket on
                    http://einem.net/tech/voigtlaender/
                    where I used L shaped aluminum profiles. Aluminum is not a bad material.
                    And I know that bracket is not as elegant as other brackets I've seen,
                    it was just a prototype which worked very well for me for a long time.

                    Oh, and yes: I also try to use 3/8" instead of 1/4" wherever possible.

                    Carl

                    Posted by: "Erik Krause"

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 2 8:49 AM
                      On Monday, April 02, 2007 at 16:33, Carl von Einem wrote:

                      > So when constructing self made panorama brackets using aluminum from
                      > "unknown" sources one should still take into account other possible ways
                      > to minimize weight AND keep it both simple and safe. See my first self
                      > made bracket on
                      > http://einem.net/tech/voigtlaender/
                      > where I used L shaped aluminum profiles. Aluminum is not a bad material.

                      Yes, I know. However, material that can be bent in a home workshop
                      probably is not stiff enough for a pano bracket. That's why I was so
                      glad to discover the Item profiles with really good corner joints for
                      my bracket...

                      best regards