Re: [PanoToolsNG] FOV and Aspect Ratio

  • Carel
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2007
      Robert Harshman wrote:

      > ...snip...
      > But, something that I can't assume now is a 4:3 aspect ratio for the
      > viewers of my site. Now, a growing number have wide screens. ...
      > .....snip.....
      > What do you do to deal with wide format displays? Anything?
      > ....snip.....
      > Does anyone have a script or sprite that adjust the FOV limits and
      > opening position based on a viewer's screen aspect ratio?
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Robert

      I hate the distortion that is produced by showing a pano in a letterbox
      format unless the FOV is drastically reduced.
      Fiero Deval has written a script to control the aspect ratio and max size at
      which a pano will be displayed.
      It is called detectVR.js
      It first checks the available plugins and then serves up the pano as
      Devalvr, QT, Flash or Java.
      You can set full screen *with* a size limit (for viewers with a >19" screen)
      AND it will set a limit to the aspect ratio of the pano. Very Cool!
      You can check this out on my website www.sphericalpanoramas.com, where most
      thumbnails already call the correct devalvr.js to limit the aspect ratio.
      You can check this even on a non-widescreen monitor by just squeezing the
      full sized pano window to a letterbox.

      The Javascript can be downloaded from Fiero's website:
      http://www.devalvr.com/

      Carel Struycken