FOV and Aspect Ratio

  • robert_harshman
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2007
      Many issues confront rich media providers when publishing to the
      internet or even DVD.

      From my perspective the issue of dial up verses broadband is over. I
      assume all visitors to my site are on broadband connections or
      willing to wait, not my issue.

      Given that, I also no longer will put up with small windows for VR
      when it calls to a full screen or at least large window. I consider
      something about 600 by 480 as a minimum.

      But, something that I can't assume now is a 4:3 aspect ratio for the
      viewers of my site. Now, a growing number have wide screens. More
      like a movie ratio. The movie industry solves this issue by either
      cropping the view or using a black box approach to show the full
      screen.

      What do you do to deal with wide format displays? Anything? It does
      matter how your VR show up as I guess QT FOV is based solely on the
      vertical dimensions, thus leaving the horizontal FOV to "float" based
      on a viewers screen. This can create a very inconsistent view.

      Does anyone have a script or sprite that adjust the FOV limits and
      opening position based on a viewer's screen aspect ratio?

      Regards,

      Robert
    • Carel
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 30, 2007
        Robert Harshman wrote:

        > ...snip...
        > But, something that I can't assume now is a 4:3 aspect ratio for the
        > viewers of my site. Now, a growing number have wide screens. ...
        > .....snip.....
        > What do you do to deal with wide format displays? Anything?
        > ....snip.....
        > Does anyone have a script or sprite that adjust the FOV limits and
        > opening position based on a viewer's screen aspect ratio?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Robert

        I hate the distortion that is produced by showing a pano in a letterbox
        format unless the FOV is drastically reduced.
        Fiero Deval has written a script to control the aspect ratio and max size at
        which a pano will be displayed.
        It is called detectVR.js
        It first checks the available plugins and then serves up the pano as
        Devalvr, QT, Flash or Java.
        You can set full screen *with* a size limit (for viewers with a >19" screen)
        AND it will set a limit to the aspect ratio of the pano. Very Cool!
        You can check this out on my website www.sphericalpanoramas.com, where most
        thumbnails already call the correct devalvr.js to limit the aspect ratio.
        You can check this even on a non-widescreen monitor by just squeezing the
        full sized pano window to a letterbox.

        The Javascript can be downloaded from Fiero's website:
        http://www.devalvr.com/

        Carel Struycken