Banding in Sky

  • jinglylenny
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30, 2007
      Having issues with banding on a pano, created on canon 5d (borrowed so
      did not have it setup the way I have on my 20d if I remember correctly
      it was set for landscape mode) three merged panos on photomatix
      the underexposed pano shows most banding on the other two
      at 0 and +2 not really noticeable but im sure its there.
      originals are raw files but I have also made the pano with the jpgs
      I created at same time as raws and they show banding as well so
      not any artifacts, I ran the raws various convertors photoshop,
      dxo and breeze browser and same issues, the files were converted to
      tiffs in ptgui and output from photomatix
      Anyway of getting rid of this without getting rid of this via
      a photoshop plugin or something similiar
      have put pano into the photos section named sky banding issue
      any assistance appreciated.
    • jinglylenny
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 30, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin"
        <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

        thanks for quick response If you hit the large button you can see
        the banding clearly.No processing was done on the 8bit files apart
        from raw conversion will redo at 16bit and see what happens.
        cheers

        > Uhh holy run on sentence bat man.. The photo uploaded is too
        small to show
        > anything.. and your sentence it too un-intelligible
        >
        > to find out what step might be causing the issue. You'll need to
        upload the
        > raw photos somewhere or your full size panorama and rephrase what
        it is you
        > are trying to do..
        >

        > Most "banding" is caused by jpg compression on very smooth skies.
        Its also
        > caused by a lot of maneuvers on an 8bit file.
        >

        > Sacha Griffin
        > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
        > www.southern-digital.com
        > www.seeit360.net
        > www.ezphotosafe.com
        > 404-551-4275
        > 404-731-7798
        >
        > _____

      • Carel
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 30, 2007
          Banding can also appear on 16 bit files after a simple noise reduction,
          before any other manipulation in an image editor. You certainly have to do
          most of your photoshop tweaking in 16 bit. Gausian blurring of any part of
          the sky very quickly causes banding - even in 16 bit.

          If nothing else helps: Sometimes it helps to *add* a tiny bit of noise to
          the sky.

          Carel Struycken
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 30, 2007
            On Friday, March 30, 2007 at 21:59, jinglylenny wrote:

            > Having issues with banding on a pano,

            So, I finally found out where the image is located:

            Even the large version is far too small to see banding. If you mean
            the regular pattern in the sky getting a bit darker to the image
            seams and a bit brighter to the single image middle, this is no
            banding, it is caused by vignetting - edge light fall off of your
            lens. Try to remove it in your raw converter, then use a recent
            blending tool like Sacha suggested. If you use enblend specify -l 20
            at the command line...

            best regards
            --
            Copyright (c) 2007 Erik Krause
            Verbatim copying and distribution strictly forbidden

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 30, 2007
                Ok, then whatever you used for stitching/blending is out of date. Look into
                enblend, smartblend, x-blend, ptgui etc.

              • dmgalpha
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 30, 2007
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jinglylenny" <jinglylenny@...> wrote:

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin"
                  > <sachagriffin@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > thanks for quick response If you hit the large button you can see
                  > the banding clearly.No processing was done on the 8bit files apart
                  > from raw conversion will redo at 16bit and see what happens.
                  > cheers

                  the large button, which button? the image, which image? There were no
                  links in your original message.

                  dmg
                • Juergen Schrader
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 30, 2007
                    I second that.
                    Compared to a crop camera you have to deal with significant
                    vignetting on a full frame. I hardly can process any stitch without
                    correction from my 5D. But once you've found the settings for your
                    lens it can easily be done in your RAW onverter.

                    Good luck
                    J├╝rgen

                    Great shot BTW.

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Krause" <erik.krause@...>

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 31, 2007
                      Cheers guys, it makes sense thinking about it that its vignetting
                      I shot a few panos with the 5d but this is the only one that is
                      affected but the sky in the others ones was a lot darker so probably
                      did not show (as much).
                      I normally shoot with a 20d so have never seen this b4
                      will try and get rid of it with the raw converter.
                      Appreciate the comments
                      lenny