OT CS3 Rip off

  • Paul F
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2007
      Hi all

      As a UK based photoshop user for the past 13 years or so I am
      dismayed to find that adobe have chosen to have a huge price
      difference when purchasing their CS3 software,depending on where in
      the world you live.

      Considering that CS3 is a downloadable package, how can they justify
      price hikes for non U.S. customers.

      I hope that you dont mind me posting this info here as there is a
      plan to have as many photographers as possible email adobe on monday.

      The enclosed email written by members of the www.pro-imaging.org
      group, can be copied, pasted and personalised then sent with
      hundreds (or more ) others on monday.

      Cheers

      recipients;

      Bruce Chizen <bchizen@...>

      John Nack <jnack@...>

      Kevin Conner <kevin.connor@...>

      english-custserv@...

      Dear Adobe,

      As a professional long term user of your products, I, like many
      professional colleagues in several countries outside of the USA,
      notably Britain and Europe, have finally been forced to write and say
      how absolutely appalled we are with the huge pricing anomalies of
      your Creative Suite products between our countries. There is no
      question about the sheer excellence of your products, so our
      grievance is purely and simply the extraordinary differences in
      pricing between the US and elsewhere which penalises thousands of
      users simply because of where we live.

      Most of us can now easily download upgrades from the web without any
      need for packaging, original CDs or posting. There is no high cost of
      doing e-commerce and electronic business with the UK or the rest of
      the world when it is simply a matter of downloading from servers, USA
      or not. We simply make payment, subject to our own taxes of course
      and download from your servers. You simply bank the money, it makes
      no difference to Adobe whether we are in the US, the UK or anywhere
      else in the world.

      If the differences were only slight it could perhaps be due to
      certain trade laws but we are seeing enormous variations which are
      just too hard to understand let alone justify.

      Observed prices as follows:

      Here is the comparison - no sales tax and using Yahoo UK's up to date
      exchange calculator:

      Sterling Prices US UK

      CS3 Upgrade £224 £465
      CS3 Full £916 £1,409

      Dollar Prices US UK

      CS3 Upgrade $440 $912
      CS3 Full $1,799 $2,766

      Many of us have supported your company and products for years and
      many of us have also been free beta testers for your products to
      offer feedback and advice on bugs, needs and glitches.

      In this modern day and age, discrimination of any sort is frowned
      upon but as we all know is still goes on. However, with a company the
      size of yours it is very surprising that you so blatantly adopt such
      an attitude.

      On several world wide lists, there is a lot of talk about your unfair
      pricing policies and it is true to say that your public image is
      definitely being eroded by this latest fiasco.

      Many of us have continued to persuade friends, colleagues and
      students to buy full legal copies of your software but with such
      blatant and unnecessary discrimination like this, I start to
      understand why so many people go down the illegal route!

      Respect is two way, we have respect for your products and your
      intellectual property. I believe we deserve much more respect in
      return and that Adobe should re-address this disgusting imbalance
      against Britain, Europe and it would seem several other countries.

      Yours Faithfully
    • Dave 360texas.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 30, 2007
        In the US Photoshop upgrade from CS2 to CS3 is $199. Last year the
        upgrade from CS to CS2 was about $168.

        https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/index.cfm?store=OLS-US&view=ols_c\
        at&catType=PRODUCTS&nr=0#loc=en_us&view=ols_prod&store=OLS-US&categoryOI\
        D=1641615&distributionOID=105&catType=PRODUCTS&nr=0

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul F <fawley@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > upon but as we all know is still goes on. However, with a company the
        > size of yours it is very surprising that you so blatantly adopt such
        > an attitude.
        >
        > On several world wide lists, there is a lot of talk about your unfair
        > pricing policies and it is true to say that your public image is
        > definitely being eroded by this latest fiasco.
        >
        > Many of us have continued to persuade friends, colleagues and
        > students to buy full legal copies of your software but with such
        > blatant and unnecessary discrimination like this, I start to
        > understand why so many people go down the illegal route!
        >
        > Respect is two way, we have respect for your products and your
        > intellectual property. I believe we deserve much more respect in
        > return and that Adobe should re-address this disgusting imbalance
        > against Britain, Europe and it would seem several other countries.

      • Paul F
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 30, 2007
          On 30 Mar 2007, at 21:43, Dave 360texas.com wrote:

          > In the US Photoshop upgrade from CS2 to CS3 is $199. Last year the
          > upgrade from CS to CS2 was about $168.

          https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/index.cfm?store=OLS-
          US&view=ols_cat&catType=CSSUITES&catID=CSSUITES&nr=0

        • Robert Reese - Georgia Real Tours
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 30, 2007
            Hi Paul,

            >US&view=ols_cat&catType=CSSUITES&catID=CSSUITES&nr=0

            Thank you for the link. Unfortunately, the resulting page is Blank. :(
            (Yep, I unwrapped the URL.)

            Cheers,
            Robert~

            Georgia Real Tours, Inc.