HDR Panoramas

  • Bill Moore
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2007
      I am using PTGui version 6.0.3 and Photomatix Pro version 2.4 to
      attempt an HDR Panoramic. I am having trouble in the batch processing
      of these images in Photomatix Pro 2.4. I cannot get the three
      panoramas combined properly in Photomatix Pro 2.4, they are fuzzy when
      combined, however they are individually each very sharp. Here are
      the steps I use. Please let me know where I am making my mistake and
      how to fix it.All pictures are taken on a tripod, using cable release,
      mirror lockup, manual focus, f8 with a fixed shutter.

      The Panorama are eight shots across

      I take three pictures at once in RAW and jpeg using AEB 0, -1,+1,
      with a Canon 1D MK II before I move the camera.

      I put them in the RAW converter and set all the White Balance
      temperatures to the same temperature. Other than that, I don't change
      the shots.

      I then combined each set of eight pictures into a panoramic using
      PTGui. Each of the three panoramas individually are very sharp.

      After I make the first panoramic in PTGui, I name the project RedRock
      1_001.pts and then I used it as a template for the other two.

      (This is where I think the problem is – I am not sure I know how to
      use and apply the template.

      I make the first panorama taken with 0 exposure compensation normally
      and name the project RedRock 1_001.pts.

      In PTGui, the first step is - 1. Load Images. I load the images,
      eight pictures for the second panorama taken at -1 exposure compensation.

      The second step – 2. Align Images is highlighted while the third step
      3. Create Panorama is grayed out.

      I then go File>Apply Template>Choose Template>RedRock 1_001.pts
      (which is the name of the project from the first panorama) and open
      the .pts file of the first panorama.

      The panorama forms in the Panorama Editor.

      The 2. Align images is still highlighted and the third step 3. Create
      panorama is still grayed out.

      I select Align Images then Create panorama and save the project.

      I do the same thing using the first project as the template with the
      third panorama.

      I then try to combine the three panoramas in Photomatix Pro 2.4 using
      the batch process. They combine but now the results are fuzzy –
      seemingly out of focus. I have tried just combining just two and I
      get the same results. Somewhere my logic is flawed or I don't have
      the correct programs.

      I really would appreciate your help.
    • Mark D. Fink
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 30, 2007
        Hi Bill,

        I think you are using the Simple interface, rather than the Advanced
        interface in PTGui. When you launch PTGui, if you see a button called
        Advanced over to the right, click on it, and you will see a series of
        tabs across the top. You will then be able to apply templates properly.

        Leave the Project Assistant tab and go to the Source Images tab. After
        you have created your first stitch and stored that pts file, create a
        new project with the second set of images. Go to File - Apply Template
        and choose your first pts file, as you have been doing. You can go to
        the Image parameters tab, click on one of the images under the Warped
        column, and you'll see your images arrange into place. Go directly to
        the Create Panorama tab and create your panorama there, clicking OK if
        you get a warning that the project hasn't been optimized. You don't want
        to optimize it as that will introduce differences between your stitched
        images, resulting in the fuzzy combined images you now have.

        Repeat this for the third set of images and you will have three stitches
        that are stitched exactly the same. Now you can go to PhotoMatix and get
        the results you were expecting.

        Mark

        www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>

        www.northernlight.net <http://www.northernlight.net/>

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30, 2007
          Bill Moore wrote:
          > The 2. Align images is still highlighted and the third step 3. Create
          > panorama is still grayed out.
          >
          > I select Align Images then Create panorama and save the project.

          don't select Align Images. Instead click on the Button "Advanced>>" all
          to the right of the project assistant. this will display a lot of tabs.
          Go to the "Create Panorama" tab, check the Output file name and click
          "Create Panorama". Ignore the warning that the project has not been
          optimized if it appears. It is the optimizing (or aligning) that messes
          up with the position of the exposures.

          the rest seems to be fine.

          Good luck and please share the results here!
          Yuv

          --
          Copyright © 2007 Yuval Levy
          Verbatim copying and distribution on other medium than YahooGroup
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 30, 2007
            On Friday, March 30, 2007 at 15:10, Bill Moore wrote:

            > I select Align Images then Create panorama and save the project.

            Don't do that. Click "Advanced" in the upper right corner, go to
            Create Panorama tab and create pano or better: Send to batch
            stitcher).

            If you Align images they are aligned slightly different than in your
            first pano. This causes the differences.

            best regards

            --
            Copyright (c) 2007 Erik Krause
            Verbatim copying and distribution strictly forbidden
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 30, 2007
              Fully understand what is going wrong.
              You are using PTgui the basic way.
              You could act this, in the first project assistant page click ADVANCED.
              After you appluy the template to the second image you just have to choose a
              name and send it to batch stitcher.
              My choice is to load ALL images in the same projects, find CP and optimize
              cerefully, then I output the 3 panoramas with 3 different names simply
              unchecking the unwanted images in the create panorama tab, "include images"
              window (visible in advanced mode only).
              This allows me tolerance in changing exposure. With 1D you can set till 7
              bracketed images (SLURP) You'd better to choose 2 stops between them (using
              all 1d color range). My 20D is often on a monopod or on a pole, so my
              choice is forgiving about alignment.
              If you are using a fullframe fisheye and you do not have any blacked parts
              you could HDR the images BEFORE. It is fasible too.
[...]

            • Flemming V. Larsen
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 30, 2007
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 30, 2007
                  You Guys are OUT OF SIGHT!! I worked most of last night trying to
                  figure out how to do what you just explained to me. I redid my
                  project in five minutes and it looks great!

                  Thanks a Million

                  Bill
                  Las Vegas