Re: [PanoToolsNG] Lost Link to simple pano bracket

  • Milko Amorth
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 30 3:40 AM
      Hi Peter,

      > i remember a very simple panobracket

      This one is not bend but it could be done with bending.
      http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Nadir/Slim/Slim_rotator.html

      Cheers, Milko

      --
      Milko Amorth
      360° Immersive Imaging
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 30 6:57 AM
        Hi Mike,

        not the site i remembered, but the right bracket.

        Thanks,
        Peter

        ptgroup schrieb:
        > http://www.panorama-community.net/thread.php?threadid=450
        >
        > or
        > http://www.panorama-community.net/thread.php?threadid=216

      • Roger Berry
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 30 7:52 AM
          Is this what you're looking for?

          Here's a photo of my setup. Take a heavy piece aluminum, a large
          hammer and use a vice to bend the aluminum. Drill a few holes and
          stick some rubber no-slip on the bracket and your done. The second
          hole is for my Canon 10-22mm lens. It also has a bubble level that I
          never have time to use, but it looks good! This is very small, light
          weight, bullet proof, and close to idiot proof which makes it perfect
          for me!
          The Sigma 8mm lens rests on the knob pointing the camera down
          slightly for 4 shots round where you end up seeing my hands holding
          the monopod or pole.
          http://www.camelphotos.com/pic3/pano_head.jpg

          Here's a photo looking down my monopod where you can see how the lens
          just about hangs over my homemade pano head.
          http://CamelPhotos.com/pic3/panohead.jpg

          Roger Berry
          http://360VRphotos.com

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Peter Reimer <peter@...> wrote:

          > Hello everybody,
          >
          > i remember a very simple panobracket, essentially made by
          diagonally
          > bending a piece of aluminium and drilling two holes (See my little
          piece
          > of ascii art).
          > ____
          > \ \
          > \ o \
          > \ \
          > \ \ ____
          > \ \/ o /
          > \ \ /
          > \___\/
          >
          > I checked the Wiki http://wiki.panotools.org/Heads and searched
          the list
          > but i could find a link. Does anybody have it?
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          > Peter

        • dmgalpha
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 30 5:58 PM
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

            > Is this what you're looking for?
            >
            > Here's a photo of my setup. Take a heavy piece aluminum, a large

            Thanks for the pictures Roger!

            dmg
          • Carl von Einem
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 31 1:51 AM
              I can only warn everybody to treat aluminum with brute force (a hammer
              or other sudden impact) and still use that part in situations where your
              or another persons life might be in danger if that part collapses.

              There is a reason that a freeclimber will exchange that part of his/her
              gear (made from aluminum) ASAP if dropped. Aluminum will get very fine
              cracks (fissures) and break some time later without a warning.

              I had such a situation with my bike's handle bar. It collapsed almost a
              year after I had a little accident where the bell seemed to be the only
              "victim". Instead the impact from the other object on the bell resulted
              in above mentioned fissures. And nearly in a second accident.

              Remember that not only your valuable camera / lens might be damaged but
              you or other persons might get hurt severely.

              Carl

              Posted by: "Roger Berry"

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 31 7:29 AM
                In the vice jaws I put some scrap pieces of aluminum on each side to
                protect the piece that I'm working on and instead of a sharp bend I
                give it more of a roll. Also some pieces of aluminum will bend
                better than others.
                I also use ¼ inch aluminum flat bar and after bending it I think it
                could be run over by a car without hurting it.
                Here is a slideshow of the first one that I made. It did have some
                small cracks at the bend but the bracket is so thick there was no
                worry about it breaking.
                http://www.camelphotos.com/pano_head.html

                Roger Berry
                http://360VRphotos.com

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 31 8:45 AM
                  On Saturday, March 31, 2007 at 10:51, Carl von Einem wrote:

                  > There is a reason that a freeclimber will exchange that part of his/her
                  > gear (made from aluminum) ASAP if dropped. Aluminum will get very fine
                  > cracks (fissures) and break some time later without a warning.

                  Sorry, but this is a myth that has been refuted by the "DAV
                  Sicherheitskreis" (german alpine club - safety section) several years
                  ago. According to Pit Schubert this applies to climbing gear, because
                  it constits of a special type of aluminium alloy. Cheap aluminium
                  profiles will probably behave differently...

                  However, stainless steel is far worse in this regard. Who ever
                  climbed the "Boulder Highway" (Grimsel, Switzerland) in the late
                  eighties knows what I'm talking about...

                  BTW.: The DAV magazine is named "Panorama" - only to get at least a
                  bit back on topic ;-)

                  best regards
                  --
                  Copyright (c) 2007 Erik Krause
                  Verbatim copying and distribution strictly forbidden
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 31 9:36 AM
                    With a setup like this going on a pole, I would be more worried about
                    the small ¼ inch threads on the knob that hold the camera and bracket
                    in place. A lot of them used in photography equipment are made out of
                    aluminum. The ones that I use are stainless steel.

                    Roger Berry
                    http://360VRphotos.com
                  • Ian Wood
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 31 9:44 AM
                      On 31 Mar 2007, at 17:36, Roger Berry wrote:

                      > With a setup like this going on a pole, I would be more worried about
                      > the small ¼ inch threads on the knob that hold the camera and bracket
                      > in place. A lot of them used in photography equipment are made out of
                      > aluminum. The ones that I use are stainless steel.
                      >
                      > Roger Berry

                      Yes, I've never really trusted 1/4" alu screws. Stainless or brass
                      1/4", or for heavy stuff 3/8" brass for everything but table-tripods,
                      for me.

                      Ian
                    • Blake Michaelson
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 31 1:51 PM
                        This works quite well for me -
                        http://geekography.com/polepano/polepano-82mm.htm - although it is nearly
                        identical to those mentioned earlier - btw they've been powdercoated with a
                        black medium texture now. I recently found that although, although designed
                        for spherical panos with the Canon 350D and the Peleng 8mm, it works really
                        well for single-row panos (i.e. non-spherical) with the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens
                        that everybody loves, I haven't done much testing, but I was pleased with
                        my initial results.

                        On 3/31/07, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

                        > On 31 Mar 2007, at 17:36, Roger Berry wrote:
                        >
                        > > With a setup like this going on a pole, I would be more worried about
                        > > the small ¼ inch threads on the knob that hold the camera and bracket
                        > > in place. A lot of them used in photography equipment are made out of
                        > > aluminum. The ones that I use are stainless steel.
                        > >
                        > > Roger Berry
                        >
                        > Yes, I've never really trusted 1/4" alu screws. Stainless or brass
                        > 1/4", or for heavy stuff 3/8" brass for everything but table-tripods,
                        > for me.
                        >
                        > Ian

                      • Peter Reimer
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 2, 2007
                          Roger Berry schrieb:
                          > Is this what you're looking for?
                          [...]
                          > http://www.camelphotos.com/pic3/pano_head.jpg

                          Thank you Roger, that was the one i remembered.

                          Greetings,
                          Peter
                        • Carl von Einem
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 2, 2007
                            Thanks for that information about climbing gear, nonethelesss I will
                            still try to be very careful with both my climbing and photography
                            equipment in the future :-)
                            I know the DAV magazine but only read it from time to time. I always
                            appreciated their technical discussions and tests about security issues.

                            So when constructing self made panorama brackets using aluminum from
                            "unknown" sources one should still take into account other possible ways
                            to minimize weight AND keep it both simple and safe. See my first self
                            made bracket on
                            http://einem.net/tech/voigtlaender/
                            where I used L shaped aluminum profiles. Aluminum is not a bad material.
                            And I know that bracket is not as elegant as other brackets I've seen,
                            it was just a prototype which worked very well for me for a long time.

                            Oh, and yes: I also try to use 3/8" instead of 1/4" wherever possible.

                            Carl

                            Posted by: "Erik Krause"

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 2, 2007
                              On Monday, April 02, 2007 at 16:33, Carl von Einem wrote:

                              > So when constructing self made panorama brackets using aluminum from
                              > "unknown" sources one should still take into account other possible ways
                              > to minimize weight AND keep it both simple and safe. See my first self
                              > made bracket on
                              > http://einem.net/tech/voigtlaender/
                              > where I used L shaped aluminum profiles. Aluminum is not a bad material.

                              Yes, I know. However, material that can be bent in a home workshop
                              probably is not stiff enough for a pano bracket. That's why I was so
                              glad to discover the Item profiles with really good corner joints for
                              my bracket...

                              best regards