Re: Frustrated by film noise in your scans? ...

  • Carl von Einem
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 30, 2007
      Posted by: "dmgalpha"

      > Silverfast cheap edition came with my Scanner (Epson 4990) and it
      > does not do 16 bit. I felt robbed by Epson. A scanner in that league
      > is obviously for people who want 16 bit scanning.

      It does with a trick (and yes, with some additional software):
      I have also an Epson Perfection 3200 Photo flatbed scanner that came
      with Silverfast's light version (SE 6.4.4). "48 Bit Color" is greyed but
      there is also "48 Bit HDR Color". Since my Nikon LS-4000 came with
      Silverfast's full version which included HDR I can "develop" those files
      even if scanned by the Epson flatbed scanner and save as normal 16 bit
      files.

      > Then I checked the full version: it only works for one scanner only. I
      > use 3 scanners (Nikon LS 5000 and a cheap bulk scanner). It is not
      > only expensive, but they want you to buy one copy per device!

      I hate that, too! I could better understand if they sell device specific
      modules at a lower price to make the basic software understand the next
      scanner generation.

      That's just like EMC Retrospect (formerly Dantz), a backup / archiving
      software that can "talk to" normal streamers and it's just no problem to
      attach more than one tape recorder (new generations are integrated from
      time to time with a free updater). You only need an upgrade to address a
      tape library. I once used the server's 8x DLT library with my desktop
      Mac side by side with a 8mm DAT device.