Lost Link to simple pano bracket

  • Peter Reimer
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 30, 2007
      Hello everybody,

      i remember a very simple panobracket, essentially made by diagonally
      bending a piece of aluminium and drilling two holes (See my little piece
      of ascii art).
      ____
      \ \
      \ o \
      \ \
      \ \ ____
      \ \/ o /
      \ \ /
      \___\/

      I checked the Wiki http://wiki.panotools.org/Heads and searched the list
      but i could find a link. Does anybody have it?

      Thanks in advance,
      Peter
    • Milko Amorth
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 30, 2007
        Hi Peter,

        > i remember a very simple panobracket

        This one is not bend but it could be done with bending.
        http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Nadir/Slim/Slim_rotator.html

        Cheers, Milko

        --
        Milko Amorth
        360° Immersive Imaging
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 30, 2007
          Hello Peter,
          just look into our forum here:
          http://www.panorama-community.net/thread.php?threadid=450

          or
          http://www.panorama-community.net/thread.php?threadid=216

          there are 2 members working on this kind of bracket.
          Just give them a PN - they will be happy to help you.

          Ciao
          Mike
          mhc1

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 30, 2007
            Hi Mike,

            not the site i remembered, but the right bracket.

            Thanks,
            Peter

            ptgroup schrieb:
            > http://www.panorama-community.net/thread.php?threadid=450
            >
            > or
            > http://www.panorama-community.net/thread.php?threadid=216

          • Roger Berry
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 30, 2007
              Is this what you're looking for?

              Here's a photo of my setup. Take a heavy piece aluminum, a large
              hammer and use a vice to bend the aluminum. Drill a few holes and
              stick some rubber no-slip on the bracket and your done. The second
              hole is for my Canon 10-22mm lens. It also has a bubble level that I
              never have time to use, but it looks good! This is very small, light
              weight, bullet proof, and close to idiot proof which makes it perfect
              for me!
              The Sigma 8mm lens rests on the knob pointing the camera down
              slightly for 4 shots round where you end up seeing my hands holding
              the monopod or pole.
              http://www.camelphotos.com/pic3/pano_head.jpg

              Here's a photo looking down my monopod where you can see how the lens
              just about hangs over my homemade pano head.
              http://CamelPhotos.com/pic3/panohead.jpg

              Roger Berry
              http://360VRphotos.com

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Peter Reimer <peter@...> wrote:

              > Hello everybody,
              >
              > i remember a very simple panobracket, essentially made by
              diagonally
              > bending a piece of aluminium and drilling two holes (See my little
              piece
              > of ascii art).
              > ____
              > \ \
              > \ o \
              > \ \
              > \ \ ____
              > \ \/ o /
              > \ \ /
              > \___\/
              >
              > I checked the Wiki http://wiki.panotools.org/Heads and searched
              the list
              > but i could find a link. Does anybody have it?
              >
              > Thanks in advance,
              > Peter

            • dmgalpha
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 30, 2007
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

                > Is this what you're looking for?
                >
                > Here's a photo of my setup. Take a heavy piece aluminum, a large

                Thanks for the pictures Roger!

                dmg
              • Carl von Einem
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 31, 2007
                  I can only warn everybody to treat aluminum with brute force (a hammer
                  or other sudden impact) and still use that part in situations where your
                  or another persons life might be in danger if that part collapses.

                  There is a reason that a freeclimber will exchange that part of his/her
                  gear (made from aluminum) ASAP if dropped. Aluminum will get very fine
                  cracks (fissures) and break some time later without a warning.

                  I had such a situation with my bike's handle bar. It collapsed almost a
                  year after I had a little accident where the bell seemed to be the only
                  "victim". Instead the impact from the other object on the bell resulted
                  in above mentioned fissures. And nearly in a second accident.

                  Remember that not only your valuable camera / lens might be damaged but
                  you or other persons might get hurt severely.

                  Carl

                  Posted by: "Roger Berry"

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 31, 2007
                    In the vice jaws I put some scrap pieces of aluminum on each side to
                    protect the piece that I'm working on and instead of a sharp bend I
                    give it more of a roll. Also some pieces of aluminum will bend
                    better than others.
                    I also use ¼ inch aluminum flat bar and after bending it I think it
                    could be run over by a car without hurting it.
                    Here is a slideshow of the first one that I made. It did have some
                    small cracks at the bend but the bracket is so thick there was no
                    worry about it breaking.
                    http://www.camelphotos.com/pano_head.html

                    Roger Berry
                    http://360VRphotos.com

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 31, 2007
                      On Saturday, March 31, 2007 at 10:51, Carl von Einem wrote:

                      > There is a reason that a freeclimber will exchange that part of his/her
                      > gear (made from aluminum) ASAP if dropped. Aluminum will get very fine
                      > cracks (fissures) and break some time later without a warning.

                      Sorry, but this is a myth that has been refuted by the "DAV
                      Sicherheitskreis" (german alpine club - safety section) several years
                      ago. According to Pit Schubert this applies to climbing gear, because
                      it constits of a special type of aluminium alloy. Cheap aluminium
                      profiles will probably behave differently...

                      However, stainless steel is far worse in this regard. Who ever
                      climbed the "Boulder Highway" (Grimsel, Switzerland) in the late
                      eighties knows what I'm talking about...

                      BTW.: The DAV magazine is named "Panorama" - only to get at least a
                      bit back on topic ;-)

                      best regards
                      --
                      Copyright (c) 2007 Erik Krause
                      Verbatim copying and distribution strictly forbidden
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 31, 2007
                        With a setup like this going on a pole, I would be more worried about
                        the small ¼ inch threads on the knob that hold the camera and bracket
                        in place. A lot of them used in photography equipment are made out of
                        aluminum. The ones that I use are stainless steel.

                        Roger Berry
                        http://360VRphotos.com
                      • Ian Wood
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 31, 2007
                          On 31 Mar 2007, at 17:36, Roger Berry wrote:

                          > With a setup like this going on a pole, I would be more worried about
                          > the small ¼ inch threads on the knob that hold the camera and bracket
                          > in place. A lot of them used in photography equipment are made out of
                          > aluminum. The ones that I use are stainless steel.
                          >
                          > Roger Berry

                          Yes, I've never really trusted 1/4" alu screws. Stainless or brass
                          1/4", or for heavy stuff 3/8" brass for everything but table-tripods,
                          for me.

                          Ian
                        • Blake Michaelson
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 31, 2007
                            This works quite well for me -
                            http://geekography.com/polepano/polepano-82mm.htm - although it is nearly
                            identical to those mentioned earlier - btw they've been powdercoated with a
                            black medium texture now. I recently found that although, although designed
                            for spherical panos with the Canon 350D and the Peleng 8mm, it works really
                            well for single-row panos (i.e. non-spherical) with the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens
                            that everybody loves, I haven't done much testing, but I was pleased with
                            my initial results.

                            On 3/31/07, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

                            > On 31 Mar 2007, at 17:36, Roger Berry wrote:
                            >
                            > > With a setup like this going on a pole, I would be more worried about
                            > > the small ¼ inch threads on the knob that hold the camera and bracket
                            > > in place. A lot of them used in photography equipment are made out of
                            > > aluminum. The ones that I use are stainless steel.
                            > >
                            > > Roger Berry
                            >
                            > Yes, I've never really trusted 1/4" alu screws. Stainless or brass
                            > 1/4", or for heavy stuff 3/8" brass for everything but table-tripods,
                            > for me.
                            >
                            > Ian

                          • Peter Reimer
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 2 2:58 AM
                              Roger Berry schrieb:
                              > Is this what you're looking for?
                              [...]
                              > http://www.camelphotos.com/pic3/pano_head.jpg

                              Thank you Roger, that was the one i remembered.

                              Greetings,
                              Peter
                            • Carl von Einem
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 2 7:33 AM
                                Thanks for that information about climbing gear, nonethelesss I will
                                still try to be very careful with both my climbing and photography
                                equipment in the future :-)
                                I know the DAV magazine but only read it from time to time. I always
                                appreciated their technical discussions and tests about security issues.

                                So when constructing self made panorama brackets using aluminum from
                                "unknown" sources one should still take into account other possible ways
                                to minimize weight AND keep it both simple and safe. See my first self
                                made bracket on
                                http://einem.net/tech/voigtlaender/
                                where I used L shaped aluminum profiles. Aluminum is not a bad material.
                                And I know that bracket is not as elegant as other brackets I've seen,
                                it was just a prototype which worked very well for me for a long time.

                                Oh, and yes: I also try to use 3/8" instead of 1/4" wherever possible.

                                Carl

                                Posted by: "Erik Krause"

                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 2 8:49 AM
                                  On Monday, April 02, 2007 at 16:33, Carl von Einem wrote:

                                  > So when constructing self made panorama brackets using aluminum from
                                  > "unknown" sources one should still take into account other possible ways
                                  > to minimize weight AND keep it both simple and safe. See my first self
                                  > made bracket on
                                  > http://einem.net/tech/voigtlaender/
                                  > where I used L shaped aluminum profiles. Aluminum is not a bad material.

                                  Yes, I know. However, material that can be bent in a home workshop
                                  probably is not stiff enough for a pano bracket. That's why I was so
                                  glad to discover the Item profiles with really good corner joints for
                                  my bracket...

                                  best regards