[OT] Silverfast (was: Frustrated by film noise in your scans? ...)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2007
      On Thursday, March 29, 2007 at 17:09, Sacha Griffin wrote:

      > Perhaps years ago.. Anything "years ago" concerning software is irrelevant.

      Well, scanning gets more and more irrelevant...

      > I'd advise you to check out their demo software. Very nice.

      Why should I. I would have to redo all of my workflow I spend years
      to develop for Vuescan, and still am not sure whether I can do
      anything I need with silverfast. Frankly: I don't think it is
      possible to get better results from my scanner than I get now.

      And I don't like their price policy: For any feature and any scanner
      you need a different version. To store f.e. scan files with 16
      bit/channel you need "Silverfast HDR" (bah - 16 bit isn't HDR). And
      they still don't save the IR channel that my scanner has (to enable
      IR based dust and scratch removal) like Vuescan does.

      Now, in version 6.5 they announce as a major feature "Multi Exposure"
      - something Vuescan did for ages. But what they don't say is that
      multi pass multi scan isn't worth anything for a film scanner, you
      need one capable of single pass multi scan.

      And so on...

      Vuescan gives me all I need for all scanners, all bit depth, all
      specials and unlimited upgrades for a fraction of the price of one
      silverfast product. And I successfully suggested numerous features to
      Ed Hamrick (programmer of Vuescan) whereas I didn't get Silverfast
      even to send me a correct serial number (until Karl-Heinz Zahorsky
      himself intervened)...

      best regards
      --
      Copyright (c) 2007 Erik Krause
      Verbatim copying and distribution strictly forbidden