Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Summer of Code hint?

  • Robert Reese - Georgia Real Tours
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2007
      *********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********
      On 3/23/2007 at 5:12 PM dmgalpha wrote:

      >--- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Reese - Georgia Real
      >Tours" <panotoolsng@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Keeping in mind Google's toe-to-toe battle with Microsoft, here is
      >an interesting article that may shed some light on what Google is
      >wanting from the Summer of Code, particularly in light of Microsoft's
      >HD panoramas.
      >>
      >> http://blog.wired.com/cultofmac/2007/03/how_did_apple_b.html
      >>

      >Google's help does not have ANY string attached. WE determine what the
      >Summer of Code means to panotools/hugin, and what gets done.
      I didn't say it did; I merely was pointing out clues as to what and why Google considered and ultimately accepted the SoC project.

      >What google wants out of it is mainly employees.

      Sure, more employees are one reason. Now what does Google want from those employees? What are they going to work on?

      I posit that Google wants to outbest Microsoft at everything, and with Microsoft's HD panos and Microsoft's competing product Google Earth, it would make sense to find tools and people that are capable of competing and ultimately beating Microsoft.

      For an example, I'm certain Google would love for a customer to start from the "space" view in Google Earth and be able to zoom to a location which seamlessly transforms into a pano of that locale. Nothing special is done by the user and it is intuitive to use.

      Microsoft is terrified of Google; it is the only company that presents a palpable threat to Microsoft. It would behoove the SoC project to consider this, and it would be sad if, by ignoring Google's motivations, an opportunity never sees its full potential.

      Cheers,
      Robert Reese~
      Georgia Real Tours, Inc.
      2907-i #308 Watson Blvd.