Re: C1 Pro - be alert

  • Victor
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 25, 2006
      Fabio,

      Straight out of the camera, ALL digital images, regardless of the
      quality of the lenses look "Pretty Damn Soft!" Sharpening is
      required. Period. I don't know about Canon's DPP software, but I do
      believe RAW Shooter applies a bit of sharpening by default ... been a
      while since I used it, but I think you have to set it to what would
      seem like softening (on the settings anyhow) to really turn sharpening
      off.

      C1 Pro is probably just REALLY giving you an unsharpened image.

      Assuming, of course, that you don't have a focus problem, etc etc
      which I assume you don't. :)

      Lot's of RAW processors do a bit of sharpening by default so that
      folks don't react as you did. :)

      VictorZ

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Fabio Bustamante" <contato@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello, Everybody.
      >

      > In my RAW workflow I always use Canon's DPP or RAW Shooter. But
      recently I decided to give it a try and downloaded and tested Phase
      One's C1 Pro. The results were alarming, though.

      > For some reason I just can't understand C1 Pro outputs images *way*
      softer than the softwares I'm used to. Although "way softer" may sound
      like a harsh expression, we must consider that we spend thousands of
      dollars in top quality lenses. Ruining their excellence with a faulty
      software is a critical thing.

      > To be short: I made several tests with some RAW files and C1's
      outputs were always considerably soft.

      > In my tests I always disabled any sharpening. In C1 Pro I did it in
      two diferent ways: by going in 'preferences' and disabling all
      sharpening there (which gave unbelievably soft results) and by leaving
      sharpening on, but setting all sliders to zero (less soft, but still
      far from perfect).

      > For those who use C1 Pro I honestly advise to make some tests. RAW
      Shooter Essentials can be downloaded for free from Pixmantec.