Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: IS with panos?

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2007
      On 6 Mar 2007 at 23:15, dmgalpha wrote:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I was wondering if any of you with IS in your bodies/lenses if it
      > causes any problems
      > > when stitching?
      >
      > Yes, the shift will add to your error. How much it depends on the lens
      > field-of-view. The longer the lens, the more error.
      >
      > And it depends how worried you are about error. Some people are happy
      > to present panoramas with some errors, while some people want absolute
      > precision.
      >
      > The question is, why do you want to enable it? If you are shooting
      > handheld, then the error by not using a tripod is way bigger than that
      > of the shift. If you are using a tripod you dont want to use the IS
      > feature, as it will probably work against you (read your manual).
      >
      > the only lenses that canon makes that are tripod aware are the EF 300
      > 2.8L IS and above (in cost). They have a special mode to take into account
      > mirror slap while on a tripod. If I recall correctly, for all others
      > Canon recommends to
      > switch the feature off when the camera is on a tripod.

      The reason why I asked was to find out if the varying Shift values would cause
      problems/errors in PTgui, and if you would have to use individual Shift parameters for
      each image. It appears to be less of a problem than I thought it was?
      My only IS camera at the moment is a Panasonic P&S, which I will not use for spherical
      panos (35mm lens), but I was considering one of the new Olympus SLRs, with IS in the
      body.
      I have actually had some problems, even with the camera on a tripod, in windy/gusty
      weather and long exposure times (30s).--
      Bjørn K Nilssen - http://www.bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D