Re: [PanoToolsNG] Panoramas taken with Canon 350D and Tokina - 10-17

  • Flemming V. Larsen
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 5, 2007
      Nice panos Rodrigo.

      I'm out doing my first commercial job with the Tokina Lens in the next
      couple of days. It looks like some cloudy and rainy days - Allthough I'm
      mainly doing interior shots I had hoped for bright weather to give better
      views out the vindows. It surely is hard to find the good days the "winter".

      BTW. I've added some more test (DOF and Coating/Flare) to my Tokina 10-17
      testpage:
      http://fvlmedia.dk/tokina107

      - Flemming
    • tflyfish2002
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 5, 2007
        Nice pano's, I haven't been there for years. I personally don't care
        for the colors which I assume are a result of HDR. Looks like
        Photomatix to me? I don't like the grey/blue skies it gives, has
        anyone found a simple way of correcting this?

        Bazzer
      • Rodrigo Alarcon-Cielock
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 5, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Flemming V. Larsen" <fvl@...>
          wrote:

          > Nice panos Rodrigo.

          Thanks Flemming, yes it is dificult to find the good days of winter
          specially around this part of the world.
          John Houghton pointed out to me and showed me that the Tokina is at
          its sharpest at f8, I took those panos at f22 thinking that the
          higher the stop down the better result I would get.
          I need to add a couple of more panos which I also took while I was in
          York.

          > BTW. I've added some more test (DOF and Coating/Flare) to my Tokina
          10-17
          > testpage:
          > http://fvlmedia.dk/tokina107

          surely will pay you a visit

          Good luck on your assigment.

          Rodrigo
        • Rodrigo Alarcon-Cielock
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 5, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "tflyfish2002" <Bazzer@...> wrote:
            Hi Bazzer,
            > Nice pano's, I haven't been there for years.

            Thanks, Betty's tea shop still there, with long queue's of people
            waiting to be seated, the cakes and scones still delicious.

            > for the colors which I assume are a result of HDR. Looks like
            > Photomatix to me? I don't like the grey/blue skies it gives.

            You are quite right they are bracketed shots, 6 sets of 3 at 10mm, f22
            and braketed at 0,+2,-2. I use FDRtools to blend them. I tried blending
            with CS2 HDR but the ghost were quite bad and FDRtools does a good job
            on getting rid of ghost's. Seen that it was a really nice day there
            were quite a lot of people walking around.

            kind regards,

            Rodrigo
          • tflyfish2002
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 5, 2007
              Now you make me want a "Cream Tea" really bad!

              I personally can't get any decent results as far as colors go with any
              of the HDR tools. Tone mapping is just not linear. Great for sureal
              effects. I use the Shadows/Highlights control in PS, it works pretty
              good for me.

              Bazzer

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Rodrigo Alarcon-Cielock"
              <alarcon@...> wrote:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "tflyfish2002" <Bazzer@> wrote:
              > Hi Bazzer,
              > > Nice pano's, I haven't been there for years.
              >
              > Thanks, Betty's tea shop still there, with long queue's of people
              > waiting to be seated, the cakes and scones still delicious.
              >
              > > for the colors which I assume are a result of HDR. Looks like
              > > Photomatix to me? I don't like the grey/blue skies it gives.
              >
              > You are quite right they are bracketed shots, 6 sets of 3 at 10mm, f22
              > and braketed at 0,+2,-2. I use FDRtools to blend them. I tried blending
              > with CS2 HDR but the ghost were quite bad and FDRtools does a good job
              > on getting rid of ghost's. Seen that it was a really nice day there
              > were quite a lot of people walking around.
              >
              > kind regards,
              >
              > Rodrigo

            • Serge Maandag (yahoo)
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 5, 2007
                > You are quite right they are bracketed shots, 6 sets of 3 at 10mm,
                > f22 and braketed at 0,+2,-2.

                Note that with f/22 you get a lot of DoF, but the image quality will
                suffer greatly from diffraction. In fact with a 350d you should think
                about not going further than f/11.

                See http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm
                ( or http://tinyurl.com/7zkcd ) for more details.

                that page has a nice table that shows you how diffraction causes blur:
                - Scroll down to the "VISUAL EXAMPLE: APERTURE VS. PIXEL SIZE" part
                - hover your mouse over the EOS 10D camera (same sensor size as 350d)
                - hover over the apertures to see the blur disc size

                Serge.
              • Rodrigo Alarcon-Cielock
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 9, 2007
                  Dear List members,

                  Just to let you know that I have posted a new panorama of Clifford
                  Tower in York; it is known as Clifford's Tower after Roger de
                  Clifford, who was the last person to be hanged in that keep in 1322.
                  This panorama unlike the other 2 of the York Minster was taken on 6
                  single shots + Zenith using the Canon350D and the Tokina 10-17mm at
                  f22.
                  http://www.alarcon.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Miscellaneous/Miscellaneous.htm

                  kind regards,

                  Rodrigo
                • pants
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 9, 2007
                    Rodrigo,

                    i really like these panos. and it's making me more interested in this lens
                    too. right now i have a 350D and the canon efs 10-22mm, which i like a lot.
                    but lately i've been wanting to shoot full sphericals with less shots. and
                    this lens looks like a good choice. is there any chance i could play with a
                    set of your images to test stitching them in Sticher? just wondering.

                    thanks

                    patrick

                    http://the-tuli-panos.blogspot.com/index.html

                    On 3/9/07, Rodrigo Alarcon-Cielock <alarcon@...> wrote:

                    > Dear List members,
                    >
                    > Just to let you know that I have posted a new panorama of Clifford
                    > Tower in York; it is known as Clifford's Tower after Roger de
                    > Clifford, who was the last person to be hanged in that keep in 1322.
                    > This panorama unlike the other 2 of the York Minster was taken on 6
                    > single shots + Zenith using the Canon350D and the Tokina 10-17mm at
                    > f22.
                    > http://www.alarcon.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Miscellaneous/Miscellaneous.htm
                    >
                    > kind regards,
                    >
                    > Rodrigo

                  • Steve Boerner
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 14, 2007
                      Anybody know what happened to PtLens at http://epaperpress.com? Tom
                      Niemann's site is no longer there.
                    • claudia betschart
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 14, 2007
                        Just try again - I have no problems to get to the page, site is still there.

                        Regards, Claudia