[PanoToolsNG] Digest Number 377

  • Carl von Einem
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2007
      There are 25 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1a. Re: More photos of the working camels
      From:udedomenico
      1b. Re: More photos of the working camels
      From:Roger Berry

      2a. Please see my page and critic
      From:Roberto Granger
      2b. Re: [PanoToolsNG] Please see my page and critic
      From:Bjørn K Nilssen

      3. Re: camera spinner mk3
      From:Roger Berry

      4. pano.com.au/blog now with Google Maps mini-Mashup
      From:Aaron Spence

      5. Re: Nikon/Canon ring ...
      From:dmgalpha

      6a. Re: 2nd try (sorry) - could you all please check Explore Oman ?
      From:William Donelson
      6b. Re: 2nd try (sorry) - could you all please check Explore Oman ?
      From:William Donelson

      7. Re: Defishing picture with Panotools
      From:John Houghton

      8. Re: Beautiful Panoramas: Turkey Cinemascope: Another opinion
      From:David Sykes

      9. Call for Contributions: Aeasthetically Interesting Spherical Panoram
      From:dmgalpha

      Messages

      1a. Re: More photos of the working camels
      Posted by: udedomenico
      Date: Thu Mar 1, 2007 12:54 am ((PST))

      Roger,

      Nice pics thanks for sharing them.

      I do not recall you never mentioned in our previous posts which monopod
      you are using?

      U.

      1b. Re: More photos of the working camels
      Posted by: Roger Berry
      Date: Thu Mar 1, 2007 1:09 am ((PST))

      My pole is a K-Tek, K-202
      It's very pricey but they gave me a good walk in discount when I went
      down to their shop and picked one out.
      This is the only type I could find that collapses down small enough
      where I can take it on airplanes and easily carry on my back. Also
      makes for a good hiking stick.
      http://www.mklemme.com/pole/ktekpoles.html

      Roger Berry

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udedomenico" <udedomenico@...>
      wrote:

      > Roger,
      >
      > Nice pics thanks for sharing them.
      >
      > I do not recall you never mentioned in our previous posts which
      monopod
      > you are using?
      >
      > U.

      2a. Please see my page and critic
      Posted by: Roberto Granger
      Date: Thu Mar 1, 2007 1:48 am ((PST))

      It`s in construction.
      www.cartagena360.net
      Please I want opinions.
      Roberto.

      2b. Re: [PanoToolsNG] Please see my page and critic
      Posted by: Bj¿rn K Nilssen
      Date: Thu Mar 1, 2007 1:08 pm ((PST))

      On 1 Mar 2007 at 0:48, Roberto Granger wrote:

      > It`s in construction.
      > www.cartagena360.net
      > Please I want opinions.
      > Roberto.

      Very nice panos. I couldn't open any fullscreens though, as they showed
      just a
      black screen, in Opera, and they were using DevalVR. I don't know if you
      use any
      plugin detectors.
      BTW, as there are at least 4 Cartagenas it may be a good idea to be more
      specific? I guess it's from the Colombian Cartagena?
      I think the opening pano should not have the camera tilted up, as it
      gives a bit
      strange first impression.

      --
      Bj¿rn K Nilssen - http://www.bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D

      3. Re: camera spinner mk3
      Posted by: Roger Berry
      Date: Thu Mar 1, 2007 1:53 am ((PST))

      Has anyone looked at the different battery operated barbeque rotisserie?
      This may be to slow but there's a lot of modules out there.
      http://www.sonofhibachionline.com/accessories.php

      Roger Berry

      4. pano.com.au/blog now with Google Maps mini-Mashup
      Posted by: Aaron Spence
      Date: Thu Mar 1, 2007 3:32 am ((PST))

      G'day Guys,

      I've made a huge number of changes to the blog, since I last showed it.
      It's now pretty much feature complete.

      http://pano.com.au/blog

      Probably the coolest part is the new google maps mini-mashup
      integration. That is, each area I shoot now has a google maps archive,
      where you can view the VR positions & posts inside google maps. You can
      get there from a link in each post, or via the 'Previous Destinations
      <http://pano.com.au/blog/previous-destinations/> ' page. Please let me
      know if this isn't working for you. I've found on a couple of older
      computers with IE 5 etc it doesn't appear to work.

      I've had a few people ask how to do this blog, and I'm working on a
      permanent page that details it all. Suffice to say you will either need
      good php/wordpress skills or have outside help, at least for some bits,
      that you may or may not need. Once you have the blog software
      installed, most of it is pretty straight forward with reasonable
      HTML/web skills.

      Thanks, Aaron.
      http://pano.com.au/blog

      5. Re: Nikon/Canon ring ...
      Posted by: dmgalpha
      Date: Thu Mar 1, 2007 7:45 am ((PST))

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Crawford <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > Alex wrote:
      > > I bought one from fotodiox.com and it's great! Used mostly with a
      > > Micro-Nikkor
      > > on my 400D for extremely sharp closeups of small items.
      > > No focus confirmation though. Apparently if you search eBay there are
      > > versions of the adapter which have attached a small contact assembly,
      > > and some
      > > electronics, whereby the AF indicator displays when proper focus is
      > > achieved.
      > > To my knowledge there are no adapters allowing AF as such with Nikkor
      > > lenses on EOS bodies.
      > > Alex
      >
      > I second the recommendation for the fotodiox adapter. I am using one
      > with the Nikon 10.5mm on my Canon Rebel XT and, it is working well.
      >
      > If I understand correctly, you are unlikely to see an adapter that will
      > allow Nikon lenses to auto focus on Canon cameras, barring a major
      > development in making motor miniaturization. I believe Canon uses an
      > electronic connection between the lens and body to drive a motor in the
      > lens, while Nikon uses a gear system to focus their lenses from a motor
      > in the body.

      I believe the original poster was referring to focus confirmation,
      which these adapters do not give.

      There is a M42 adapter known as the dandelion that provides focus
      confirmation.

      In the case of the 10.5 this is not a problem. The lens focuses sharp
      from 1 would say 1m to infinity at approximately F8.

      Has anybody tried the manual focusing screens from Canon? They can be
      mounted on the series 1, 3, 5, and I have seen hacks to make them fit
      in a 20d.

      dmg

      6a. Re: 2nd try (sorry) - could you all please check Explore Oman ?
      Posted by: William Donelson
      Date: Thu Mar 1, 2007 8:35 am ((PST))

      Fulvio says that there should be no problems, except on slow PCs.

      Is anyone else having a problem?

      http://www.explore-oman.net

      Thanks

      William

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "William Donelson" <wd@...> wrote:

      > Hmmm.... I have contacted Fulvio to ask him to have a look.
      >
      > Could you all state:
      > PC or Mac
      > RAM
      > OS and version
      > Browser & version
      > Java version
      >
      > So he can look for possible problems.
      >
      > It might be the settings I used during preparation of the panos using
      Fulvio's
      tools...

      Date: Thu Mar 1, 2007 9:39 am ((PST))

      I've now tried this on PCs.

      On Windows XP SP2 PCs with Java 1.5.0_10 -

      Dowloading of the strips in panos does stop if the mouse is Held Down during
      panning
      around the images.

      This seems to happen in both Firefox and IE 7.0

      If anyone sees different results, Please let me know.

      Thanks
      William

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "William Donelson" <wd@...> wrote:

      > I had a bad bug in the Google AdSense code, but I'm not sure it's
      working on
      all
      browsers
      > right now.
      >
      > Could I ask you all to check out our Explore Oman website? Thanks.
      >
      > And if you could check to make sure the Large & Medium panos are
      working, that
      would
      be
      > great!
      >
      > Note: The Large Panos should be almost (but not completely)
      full-screen on
      most
      monitors.

      > Thanks
      > William

      7. Re: Defishing picture with Panotools
      Posted by: John Houghton
      Date: Thu Mar 1, 2007 9:30 am ((PST))

      wrote:
      > Can anybody tell me what value should I use for the missing
      combination:

      > 350D + 10.5 ?

      Try 132 x 84

      John

      8. Re: Beautiful Panoramas: Turkey Cinemascope: Another opinion
      Posted by: David Sykes
      Date: Thu Mar 1, 2007 9:48 am ((PST))

      Yuval Levy wrote:
      > thank you for sharing this opinion. i think we need more of these
      > comments.

      I do not think so, this is very dangerous ground that can quickly get
      out-of-hand.

      Consider my message 1690 :-
      "Yuval Levy wrote:
      <http://vrm.vrway.com/issue26/PEACEFUL_SCENES_OF_HAIFA_AND_THE_NORTHERN_ISRAELI_COAST.html>

      Very nice caves.

      Try a Google search for 'Lebanon bbc oil'.

      It may provide more up-to-date information about that attractive
      coastline"

      You did not respond and I could have said 'that once-attractive
      coastline before the actions by the "state" of Israel'.

      I would love to say a lot, lot more but it would not be appropriate,
      see what I mean :-)

      Best to stick with technicalities in this forum.

      David Sykes

      Date: Thu Mar 1, 2007 11:41 am ((PST))

      As you might know I am interested in the creation of software to
      create panoramas. One of my current interests is in the creation of of
      flat representations of spherical panoramas.

      This year I am participating in the International Symposium on
      Computational Aesthetics in Graphics, Visualization, and Imaging
      http://innovis.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/cae2007/pmwiki.php Aesthetics, to
      happen in Banff, Canada.

      The Symposium is asking for Artistic Contributions
      http://innovis.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/cae2007/pmwiki.php/Main/CallForArtisticContribut\
      ions

      I believe that we, as a group, can create a very interesting
      submission and I want to curate it (I believe Yuval might also be
      involved in its organization).

      My objective is to present 20 to 24 spherical panoramas in a flat
      representation and that are aesthetically interesting. It is an
      electronic exhibit, but if I get guaranteed space (and the artists
      agree) I'll print the panoramas and display them.

      I am asking for contributions for this submission.

      The subject of the panoramas is open.

      Artists can use any projection to present the sphere, but it has to be a
      complete sphere (360x180 degrees), and it has to be presented in a
      flat image. The artist will also submit a QTVR and a equirectangular
      of the equivalent sphere to give an idea of what the original scene
      is. The flat images will need to be of at least 1200 pixels in the
      largest dimension. (The rules are not strict: a very interesting
      partial panorama might be accepted).

      The artist retains all the rights. The symposium will have limited
      rights to display the works, and only during the symposium.

      The dates are approaching fast. I need to submit the proposal to the
      symposium committee by March 12. I therefore need to receive the
      submissions by March 7.

      I don't see this as a competition. I rather see it as an opportunity
      by those interested in the aesthetics of panoramas to showcase their
      work (and to add to their artistic resume).

      If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.

      dr. Daniel M. German
      Dept. of Computer Science
      University of Victoria
      VIctoria, BC, Canada.