QTVR in South Africa

  • Ignacio Ferrando
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2 9:51 AM
      Hello,

      I'm planning a trip in south africa this summer (from 15 august to
      15 september), I want to do landscape and wildlife photos, and VRs...
      If you can give me some interesting info about the best places to
      see please contact me

      regards

      Ignacio Ferrando MargelĂ­

      Abaco Digital

      http://www.abaco-digital.com

    • Serge Maandag (yahoo)
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2 2:00 PM
        > I'm planning a trip in south africa this summer (from 15 august to
        > 15 september), I want to do landscape and wildlife photos, and VRs...
        > If you can give me some interesting info about the best places to
        > see please contact me

        It'll be end of winter there. I was there a few years back in july. Heart
        of winter, but in Kruger Park it was 45 degrees C.. Be prepared :)

        I think you'll find more gorgeous sights that your camera can handle.
        South Africa is way bigger than you can span in that amount of time, so be
        sure to restrict your area or be prepared to spend most of the time in a
        car (like I did).

        There are lots of areas where exposing yourself can get you killed (by
        animals) and areas where exposing your camera can get you killed (by
        criminals), although I believe that the travel agencies are overly worried
        a bit. Just don't take a stroll through Johannesburg!

        If you're hoping to shoot some big game, then you should go to the (north)
        eastern parts. Kruger Park and the wonderful private lodges (Bongani was
        my favorite). The area is quite dry though. Not much lush vegetation.
        Here's an example of a game pano:

        http://pano.maandag.com/images_ser/rsa/giraffen.jpg

        You'll also find sights like this north east of Johannesburg, at the three
        rondavels (blyde river canyon):

        http://pano.maandag.com/images_ser/rsa/rondavels.jpg

        That's along a route with great sights called the "panorama route", Google
        for it...

        The south eastern part has some wetlands, I haven't seen much else there.
        The north western part is very desert like. Impressive, but not much
        change of scenery.

        The southern and south west parts are beautiful. No big animals (apart
        from the ostrich farms), but vegetation abundance. There's the great
        garden route (don't know if there will be blossom yet in september) and
        the impressive Tsitsikamma rain forest along the Storms river:

        http://pano.maandag.com/images_ser/rsa/stormsrivier.jpg

        and a bit further down the coast knysna:

        http://pano.maandag.com/images_ser/rsa/heads_knysna.jpg

        You might just catch a whale in those bays.

        Serge.
      • Rodrigo Alarcon-Cielock
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5 1:54 AM
          Hola Ignacio,

          Anywhere in Africa I suppose it will nice to take a few panos, but
          please avoid doing it from the inside of a lion. Looking forward to
          seen them. Have a nice trip.

          Rodrigo