Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Speed up panotools - No masks

  • Jim Watters
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
      It was some time since I updated the code that creates the masks for
      layered Photoshop files. From what I remember many of the other imaging
      applications could not open the files if they did not have both the clip
      mask and image mask.
      Masks should only be necessary if feathering is used. They do compress
      very well. I had to use some hack to determine at the time of creating
      the image mask whether or not feathering was selected or not.

      With the new PTMender we will have many more options. The file size
      should be smaller.

      It will need to be investigated again. It is likely that there is a
      better way to implement the masking. At the time I was trying to not to
      add the image mask if they were not needed. But unfortunately they were
      needed by some imaging applications.

      And if you are creating PSB files they are coming from PTGui not
      PanoTools. PSB will not be an option included in PanoTools. Adobe's
      license agreement does not allow it be used in open source software.

      I have put a request into Adobe for an updated SDK several weeks ago. I
      have not heard back yet. I have not tried CS3 yet. I will investigate
      any improvements to the plug-ins first.

      Jim

      --
      Jim Watters

      jwatters @ photocreations . ca
      http://photocreations.ca
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
        On Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 17:29, Sacha Griffin wrote:

        > I am outputting psb

        Then apparently you use PTGui internal stitcher.

        > With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB
        >
        > Without its 600 MB

        I see. I wouldn't have thought that the difference is that large but
        who knows the internals of PSB format ;-)

        You should ask Joost directly - could well be he doesn't read here at
        the moment.

        best regards
        http://www.erik-krause.de/
      • Klaus Hilsenbeck
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 4, 2007
          Just want to repeat my question.
          Maybe it got lost somehow (no answer yet).
          Any advice appreciate.
          Klaus