Re: [PanoToolsNG] NASCAR panorama

  • Flemming V. Larsen
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2007
      The European Indoor Championships is going on right how in in Birmingham -
      you just have to find a sport channel showing it to see similar cameras in
      action.
      Or go to your local horse-race web-page, like this
      http://www.skivetrav.com/m%E5l_foto.htm
    • d9616
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2007
        Recently went to FOCUS on imaging exhibition at the NEC in Birmingham
        (UK) and saw this 360 camera by Spheron

        http://www.teamworkphoto.com/spheron.html

        My guess is that the NASCAR photos were taken with something similar
        with the 360 revolution matched to the average laptime of the cars,
        thus rendering the complete oval blurred whilst recording the cars as
        sharp.

        Just my 2p worth

        Dave H

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

        > On 1 Mar 2007, at 23:24, jasonwalp wrote:
        >
        > > A friend just sent me this article about a photographer shooting
        > > panoramas at the NASCAR race at Daytona:
        > >
        > > http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070223/FREE/
        > > 70216011/1065/FREE
        > >
        > > Thought this would be the perfect group to share it with.
        >
        > Interesting stuff!
        >
        > Not quite as innovative or unique as it's made out to be in the
        > article, though. But that's partly just journalism.
        >
        > Slitscan photography is a well-understood technique used by a
        > surprisingly large number of photographers - I personally know two
        > (and know of a third) in the UK alone who have used similar
        > electronically-controlled motor-driven medium format cameras...
        I'll
        > admit that 66" per second is pretty unusual.
        >
        > Tim MacMillan (the timeslice guy) has a lot of images that are
        *very*
        > similar to those on the Distavision site, but they were done in
        the
        > Eighties and Nineties and aren't on the web anywhere. :-(
        > <http://www.timeslicefilms.com/>
        >
        > You can see images which are a bit similar to Tim's by Andrew
        Davidhazy:
        > http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/>
        >
        > Dominic Pote uses a similar system but to quite different effect:
        > <http://dominicpote.co.uk/main.php>
        > I'll give you three guesses who made his first integrated
        motorised
        > camera for him...
        >

        > For a really comprehensive list of stuff have a look at <http://
        > www.flong.com/writings/lists/list_slit_scan.html> which contains
        both
        > moving film and video slitscan work.
        >
        > Other stuff:
        > <http://www.gavaligai.com/main/sub/installation/PixelPresent/
        > PixelPresent.html>
        >
        > Half a mile of train on fourteen feet of film:
        > <http://www.invisiblephotography.com/image.htm>
        >

        > Last but definitely not least, after the 2006 PT meeting in Bath
        > where we visited Tim MacMillan, Thomas Rauscher knocked up a Flash
        > slitscan app which works with your webcam:
        > <http://www.panotools.org/node/22>
        >
        > Ian

      • Ian Wood
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2007
          It's a static camera with moving film.

          If it were rotating it would be the ground would be clear and the
          cars would either be long blurs (if travelling in the same direction
          as the camera) or very short blobs (if travelling against the camera).

          But it could be done with a Spheron or other scanning camera if you
          turned the rotation motor off - might not be enough control over
          speed, though.

          Ian

          On 2 Mar 2007, at 14:58, d9616 wrote:

          > Recently went to FOCUS on imaging exhibition at the NEC in Birmingham
          > (UK) and saw this 360 camera by Spheron
          >
          > http://www.teamworkphoto.com/spheron.html
          >
          > My guess is that the NASCAR photos were taken with something similar
          > with the 360 revolution matched to the average laptime of the cars,
          > thus rendering the complete oval blurred whilst recording the cars as
          > sharp.
          >
          > Just my 2p worth
          >
          > Dave H
        • Flemming V. Larsen
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 2, 2007
            With my old Spinshot rotating camera for film I could fasten the camera and
            let the handle roll to have it worl like at "finish line slit-camera".
            Wouldn't it be possible to do the same with the Spheron - just remember to
            rewind the cable before you take the next shot ;-)

            My link in the former mail didn't work because the use special danish
            charecters in the file name - didn't knew it was possible at all!!
            http://www.skivetrav.com/m%c3%a5l_foto.htm

            But here you also find a collectin of fish line photos:
            http://www.onthemarktiming.com/results%202005/Big%20Red%2005/Big_Red_Invitational.htm

            - Flemming