Eurostar print advert

  • Ian
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2007
      Hi all,

      I just saw a nice advert for Eurostar, showing the ceiling of the Stadhuis in Bruges, in
      cylindrical format. The view goes from the fireplace at one end, up over the vaulted ceiling
      and then down to the doorway at the other end of the room - a very good use of panoramic
      imagery in a mainstream paper (Guardian Weekend).

      Anyone know who shot it?

      Ian
    • Fabio Bustamante
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2007
        Recently Johnson & Johnson's Sundown sunblocker did something similar to
        Eurostar and used a couple panoramic images to illustrate a campain with
        the theme "life spins around the sun". Two beautiful images, one at the
        beach and the other at the park, remapped to that crazy projection that
        makes that "tiny globes", but with the sky in the center instead:

        http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/3051/sun1ie7lu3.jpg

        http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/8031/sun2dy5sm7.jpg

        However after a closer look it became clear that they were fake
        panoramas. The shadows are impossibly placed. The beach scene is also
        impossible, for it would take a small island to create a horizon that is
        a 360º beach.

        They are beautiful images though and I invite everyone to take a look!
        Any ideas on how it was made? :-)

        All the best,

        Fabio.
      • panokaemena@mac.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2007
          It is simple to make this

          take the equirect image of a pano

          resize it ( not proportional) so you get a square

          apply Polar Coordinates under transform in PS

          you can also reverse the picture of Johnsons to get the equicrect
          again which will give you more clues

          http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/Johnson.jpg

          Willy

          On Mar 2, 2007, at 17:31, Fabio Bustamante wrote:

          > Recently Johnson & Johnson's Sundown sunblocker did something
          > similar to
          > Eurostar and used a couple panoramic images to illustrate a campain
          > with
          > the theme "life spins around the sun". Two beautiful images, one at
          > the
          > beach and the other at the park, remapped to that crazy projection
          > that
          > makes that "tiny globes", but with the sky in the center instead:
          >
          > http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/3051/sun1ie7lu3.jpg
          >
          > http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/8031/sun2dy5sm7.jpg
          >
          > However after a closer look it became clear that they were fake
          > panoramas. The shadows are impossibly placed. The beach scene is also
          > impossible, for it would take a small island to create a horizon
          > that is
          > a 360º beach.
          >
          > They are beautiful images though and I invite everyone to take a look!
          > Any ideas on how it was made? :-)
          >
          > All the best,
          >
          > Fabio.

        • RomualdV
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2007
            Le 2 mars 07 à 19:31, Fabio Bustamante a écrit :
            > crazy projection that
            > makes that "tiny globes", but with the sky in the center instead:
            >
            > http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/3051/sun1ie7lu3.jpg
            >
            > http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/8031/sun2dy5sm7.jpg
            >
            > However after a closer look it became clear that they were fake
            > panoramas. The shadows are impossibly placed. The beach scene is also
            > impossible, for it would take a small island to create a horizon
            > that is
            > a 360º beach.

            Here a 100 x 500 m island, remapped as ring-earth.
            The left is natural, on the right I stretched the sea for more impact.
            It is 12, the sun is at zenith, people are sitting on their shadow.
            Made from slides in year 2001.

            http://perso.orange.fr/panoramas.re/pht/twin.jpg

            Romuald