RE: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Speed up panotools - No masks

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
      I am using no compression 16bit.

      You are probably using 8bit with compression which should do wonders on
      making small footprints for the masks.

      Unfortunately, compression most of the time makes 16bit files larger.

      This is not a HUGE deal, it only takes me less than a dozen right clicks to
      delete all the masks.

      But it is a waste of space and possible to waste of time to create the masks
      and write the data to disk.

      Sacha Griffin
      Southern Digital Solutions LLC
      www.southern-digital.com
      www.seeit360.net
      www.ezphotosafe.com
      404-551-4275
      404-731-7798

      _____

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
        It was some time since I updated the code that creates the masks for
        layered Photoshop files. From what I remember many of the other imaging
        applications could not open the files if they did not have both the clip
        mask and image mask.
        Masks should only be necessary if feathering is used. They do compress
        very well. I had to use some hack to determine at the time of creating
        the image mask whether or not feathering was selected or not.

        With the new PTMender we will have many more options. The file size
        should be smaller.

        It will need to be investigated again. It is likely that there is a
        better way to implement the masking. At the time I was trying to not to
        add the image mask if they were not needed. But unfortunately they were
        needed by some imaging applications.

        And if you are creating PSB files they are coming from PTGui not
        PanoTools. PSB will not be an option included in PanoTools. Adobe's
        license agreement does not allow it be used in open source software.

        I have put a request into Adobe for an updated SDK several weeks ago. I
        have not heard back yet. I have not tried CS3 yet. I will investigate
        any improvements to the plug-ins first.

        Jim

        --
        Jim Watters

        jwatters @ photocreations . ca
        http://photocreations.ca
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
          On Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 17:29, Sacha Griffin wrote:

          > I am outputting psb

          Then apparently you use PTGui internal stitcher.

          > With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB
          >
          > Without its 600 MB

          I see. I wouldn't have thought that the difference is that large but
          who knows the internals of PSB format ;-)

          You should ask Joost directly - could well be he doesn't read here at
          the moment.

          best regards
          http://www.erik-krause.de/
        • Klaus Hilsenbeck
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 4, 2007
            Just want to repeat my question.
            Maybe it got lost somehow (no answer yet).
            Any advice appreciate.
            Klaus