Re: Speed up panotools - No masks

  • John Houghton
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin" <sachagriffin@...>
      wrote:

      > With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB
      > Without its 600 MB

      Sacha, Could it be that you're not be comparing like with like? I
      generated a PSB layered file with PTGui and got a 31.149MB file. In
      CS2 I opened and saved the file without any changes and got a 49.265MB
      file. I deleted the layer masks and saved again and the file size
      dropped to 48.887MB. I then output individual tiff files from PTGui and
      assembled the layered file manually with layer masks and saved the file
      at 49.223MB. After deleting the layer masks and saving again, the file
      size was 40.884MB.

      John
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
        I am using no compression 16bit.

        You are probably using 8bit with compression which should do wonders on
        making small footprints for the masks.

        Unfortunately, compression most of the time makes 16bit files larger.

        This is not a HUGE deal, it only takes me less than a dozen right clicks to
        delete all the masks.

        But it is a waste of space and possible to waste of time to create the masks
        and write the data to disk.

        Sacha Griffin
        Southern Digital Solutions LLC
        www.southern-digital.com
        www.seeit360.net
        www.ezphotosafe.com
        404-551-4275
        404-731-7798

        _____

        > With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB
        > Without its 600 MB

        Sacha, Could it be that you're not be comparing like with like? I
        generated a PSB layered file with PTGui and got a 31.149MB file. In
        CS2 I opened and saved the file without any changes and got a 49.265MB
        file. I deleted the layer masks and saved again and the file size
        dropped to 48.887MB. I then output individual tiff files from PTGui and
        assembled the layered file manually with layer masks and saved the file
        at 49.223MB. After deleting the layer masks and saving again, the file
        size was 40.884MB.

        John

      • Jim Watters
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
          It was some time since I updated the code that creates the masks for
          layered Photoshop files. From what I remember many of the other imaging
          applications could not open the files if they did not have both the clip
          mask and image mask.
          Masks should only be necessary if feathering is used. They do compress
          very well. I had to use some hack to determine at the time of creating
          the image mask whether or not feathering was selected or not.

          With the new PTMender we will have many more options. The file size
          should be smaller.

          It will need to be investigated again. It is likely that there is a
          better way to implement the masking. At the time I was trying to not to
          add the image mask if they were not needed. But unfortunately they were
          needed by some imaging applications.

          And if you are creating PSB files they are coming from PTGui not
          PanoTools. PSB will not be an option included in PanoTools. Adobe's
          license agreement does not allow it be used in open source software.

          I have put a request into Adobe for an updated SDK several weeks ago. I
          have not heard back yet. I have not tried CS3 yet. I will investigate
          any improvements to the plug-ins first.

          Jim

          --
          Jim Watters

          jwatters @ photocreations . ca
          http://photocreations.ca
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
            On Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 17:29, Sacha Griffin wrote:

            > I am outputting psb

            Then apparently you use PTGui internal stitcher.

            > With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB
            >
            > Without its 600 MB

            I see. I wouldn't have thought that the difference is that large but
            who knows the internals of PSB format ;-)

            You should ask Joost directly - could well be he doesn't read here at
            the moment.

            best regards
            http://www.erik-krause.de/
          • Klaus Hilsenbeck
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 4, 2007
              Just want to repeat my question.
              Maybe it got lost somehow (no answer yet).
              Any advice appreciate.
              Klaus