Re: Nikon/Canon ring ...

  • JD Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1 5:27 PM
      On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:52:46 -0700, Andrew Crawford wrote:

      > If I understand correctly, you are unlikely to see an adapter that will
      > allow Nikon lenses to auto focus on Canon cameras, barring a major
      > development in making motor miniaturization. I believe Canon uses an
      > electronic connection between the lens and body to drive a motor in the
      > lens, while Nikon uses a gear system to focus their lenses from a motor
      > in the body.

      Actually, very few Nikon lenses still use this in-body drive system;
      most have their own focus motors which are addressed electronically.
      Only a few currently produced lenses do, the widely regarded 50mm f1.8
      and the 10.5mm fisheye among them. Their newest consumer camera
      completely lacks the body drive. Lenses where focus isn't a priority
      (such as this one, with its huge depth of field), often omit the motor
      to save space and price.

      JD
    • tflyfish2002
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1 9:00 PM
        If you search ebay, or my post a few days ago you will see that there
        is a adapter that does give focus confirmation, it works well with my
        1Ds and the 10.5. I guess you might not need it if you lock the focus
        ring in place, but it is very easy to move it when taking the photo's.

        Bazzer
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dmgalpha" <dmgerman@...> wrote:

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Crawford <yahoo@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Alex wrote:
        > > > I bought one from fotodiox.com and it's great! Used mostly with a
        > > > Micro-Nikkor
        > > > on my 400D for extremely sharp closeups of small items.
        > > > No focus confirmation though. Apparently if you search eBay
        there are
        > > > versions of the adapter which have attached a small contact
        assembly,
        > > > and some
        > > > electronics, whereby the AF indicator displays when proper focus is
        > > > achieved.
        > > > To my knowledge there are no adapters allowing AF as such with
        Nikkor