NASCAR panorama

  • jasonwalp
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2007
      A friend just sent me this article about a photographer shooting
      panoramas at the NASCAR race at Daytona:

      http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070223/FREE/70216011/1065/FREE

      Thought this would be the perfect group to share it with.

      Jason Walp
      www.djason.net
    • Aaron Spence
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2007
        Very cool, thanks for the link. It's done so well it looks fake in
        the web resolution versions. By that I mean, my mind says it's not
        possible to shoot 40 cars going 200mph in a single shot, get them all
        razor sharp with a motion blurred background, so it looks fake :)

        Aaron
        http://pano.com.au/blog
      • Robert C. Fisher
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2007
          It is interesting, it works like a scanner but in reverse. The
          picture taking element doesn't move but the cars do. Cool idea.

          You could do this with a digital scanning back and a little bit of
          custom software.

          On Mar 1, 2007, at 3:24 PM, jasonwalp wrote:

          > A friend just sent me this article about a photographer shooting
          > panoramas at the NASCAR race at Daytona:
          >
          > http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070223/FREE/
          > 70216011/1065/FREE
          >
          > Thought this would be the perfect group to share it with.
          >
          > Jason Walp
          > www.djason.net

          Cheers
          Robert C. Fisher
          VR Photography/Cinematography
        • Roger D. Williams
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2007
            On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 08:24:01 +0900, jasonwalp <jasonwalp@...> wrote:

            > A friend just sent me this article about a photographer shooting
            > panoramas at the NASCAR race at Daytona:
            >
            > http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070223/FREE/70216011/1065/FREE
            >
            > Thought this would be the perfect group to share it with.

            Thanks for the link, Jason. Don't think there is much doubt that
            his poster qualifies as a panorama!

            His setup uses the same principle as my MF panorama camera, which
            rotates...

            Roger

            --
            Work: www.adex-japan.com
            Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2, 2007
              Very interesting!
              I looked on Datavision/Rick Graves portfolio, and the images I saw there look weird, yet interesting but some of them look grotesque, like a nightmare. I am talking about the one's with people inside... very deformed. Also most of his images have some vertical stripes in them...
              Anyone has any ideea about how he managed to create this? My head is filled with technical questions now.... ;))

              Best regards,
              Andrei Zdetovetchi

              the panoblogus - http://www.csvd.ro/panoblog/

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 2, 2007
                On 1 Mar 2007, at 23:24, jasonwalp wrote:

                > A friend just sent me this article about a photographer shooting
                > panoramas at the NASCAR race at Daytona:
                >
                > http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070223/FREE/
                > 70216011/1065/FREE
                >
                > Thought this would be the perfect group to share it with.

                Interesting stuff!

                Not quite as innovative or unique as it's made out to be in the
                article, though. But that's partly just journalism.

                Slitscan photography is a well-understood technique used by a
                surprisingly large number of photographers - I personally know two
                (and know of a third) in the UK alone who have used similar
                electronically-controlled motor-driven medium format cameras... I'll
                admit that 66" per second is pretty unusual.

                Tim MacMillan (the timeslice guy) has a lot of images that are *very*
                similar to those on the Distavision site, but they were done in the
                Eighties and Nineties and aren't on the web anywhere. :-(
                <http://www.timeslicefilms.com/>

                You can see images which are a bit similar to Tim's by Andrew Davidhazy:
                http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/>

                Dominic Pote uses a similar system but to quite different effect:
                <http://dominicpote.co.uk/main.php>
                I'll give you three guesses who made his first integrated motorised
                camera for him...

                For a really comprehensive list of stuff have a look at <http://
                www.flong.com/writings/lists/list_slit_scan.html> which contains both
                moving film and video slitscan work.

                Other stuff:
                <http://www.gavaligai.com/main/sub/installation/PixelPresent/
                PixelPresent.html>

                Half a mile of train on fourteen feet of film:
                <http://www.invisiblephotography.com/image.htm>

                Last but definitely not least, after the 2006 PT meeting in Bath
                where we visited Tim MacMillan, Thomas Rauscher knocked up a Flash
                slitscan app which works with your webcam:
                <http://www.panotools.org/node/22>

                Ian
              • Roger D. Williams
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2, 2007
                  On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 18:42:06 +0900, Andrei Zdetovetchi <zdeto@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Very interesting!
                  > I looked on Datavision/Rick Graves portfolio, and the images I saw there
                  > look weird, yet interesting but some of them look grotesque, like a
                  > nightmare. I am talking about the one's with people inside... very
                  > deformed. Also most of his images have some vertical stripes in them...
                  > Anyone has any ideea about how he managed to create this? My head is
                  > filled with technical questions now.... ;))
                  > Best regards,
                  > Andrei Zdetovetchi
                  >
                  > the panoblogus - http://www.csvd.ro/panoblog/

                  Andrei, his camera is essentially a fixed slit past which the cars pass,
                  and a moto drives the film past the slit at a speed that matches the
                  passage of the cars in front of the slit. Any slight mismatch, which
                  would result in foreshortening or stretching of the car images could
                  presumably be easily corrected in PhotoShop.

                  Since people, and the various parts of their bodies, all pass the slit
                  at varying speeds, there is much more distortion in the resulting
                  images than there is with NASDAR cars, which all go past in a tight
                  bunch at about the same speed.

                  The same effect can be seen in Seiko photo-finish picture of the finishes
                  of major sporting events, like Carl Luis's breaking of the 100m 10sec
                  barrier (which I personally witnessed here in Tokyo).

                  Roger

                  --
                  Work: www.adex-japan.com
                  Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                • Flemming V. Larsen
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 2, 2007
                    The European Indoor Championships is going on right how in in Birmingham -
                    you just have to find a sport channel showing it to see similar cameras in
                    action.
                    Or go to your local horse-race web-page, like this
                    http://www.skivetrav.com/m%E5l_foto.htm
                  • d9616
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 2, 2007
                      Recently went to FOCUS on imaging exhibition at the NEC in Birmingham
                      (UK) and saw this 360 camera by Spheron

                      http://www.teamworkphoto.com/spheron.html

                      My guess is that the NASCAR photos were taken with something similar
                      with the 360 revolution matched to the average laptime of the cars,
                      thus rendering the complete oval blurred whilst recording the cars as
                      sharp.

                      Just my 2p worth

                      Dave H

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

                      > On 1 Mar 2007, at 23:24, jasonwalp wrote:
                      >
                      > > A friend just sent me this article about a photographer shooting
                      > > panoramas at the NASCAR race at Daytona:
                      > >
                      > > http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070223/FREE/
                      > > 70216011/1065/FREE
                      > >
                      > > Thought this would be the perfect group to share it with.
                      >
                      > Interesting stuff!
                      >
                      > Not quite as innovative or unique as it's made out to be in the
                      > article, though. But that's partly just journalism.
                      >
                      > Slitscan photography is a well-understood technique used by a
                      > surprisingly large number of photographers - I personally know two
                      > (and know of a third) in the UK alone who have used similar
                      > electronically-controlled motor-driven medium format cameras...
                      I'll
                      > admit that 66" per second is pretty unusual.
                      >
                      > Tim MacMillan (the timeslice guy) has a lot of images that are
                      *very*
                      > similar to those on the Distavision site, but they were done in
                      the
                      > Eighties and Nineties and aren't on the web anywhere. :-(
                      > <http://www.timeslicefilms.com/>
                      >
                      > You can see images which are a bit similar to Tim's by Andrew
                      Davidhazy:
                      > http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/>
                      >
                      > Dominic Pote uses a similar system but to quite different effect:
                      > <http://dominicpote.co.uk/main.php>
                      > I'll give you three guesses who made his first integrated
                      motorised
                      > camera for him...
                      >

                      > For a really comprehensive list of stuff have a look at <http://
                      > www.flong.com/writings/lists/list_slit_scan.html> which contains
                      both
                      > moving film and video slitscan work.
                      >
                      > Other stuff:
                      > <http://www.gavaligai.com/main/sub/installation/PixelPresent/
                      > PixelPresent.html>
                      >
                      > Half a mile of train on fourteen feet of film:
                      > <http://www.invisiblephotography.com/image.htm>
                      >

                      > Last but definitely not least, after the 2006 PT meeting in Bath
                      > where we visited Tim MacMillan, Thomas Rauscher knocked up a Flash
                      > slitscan app which works with your webcam:
                      > <http://www.panotools.org/node/22>
                      >
                      > Ian

                    • Ian Wood
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 2, 2007
                        It's a static camera with moving film.

                        If it were rotating it would be the ground would be clear and the
                        cars would either be long blurs (if travelling in the same direction
                        as the camera) or very short blobs (if travelling against the camera).

                        But it could be done with a Spheron or other scanning camera if you
                        turned the rotation motor off - might not be enough control over
                        speed, though.

                        Ian

                        On 2 Mar 2007, at 14:58, d9616 wrote:

                        > Recently went to FOCUS on imaging exhibition at the NEC in Birmingham
                        > (UK) and saw this 360 camera by Spheron
                        >
                        > http://www.teamworkphoto.com/spheron.html
                        >
                        > My guess is that the NASCAR photos were taken with something similar
                        > with the 360 revolution matched to the average laptime of the cars,
                        > thus rendering the complete oval blurred whilst recording the cars as
                        > sharp.
                        >
                        > Just my 2p worth
                        >
                        > Dave H
                      • Flemming V. Larsen
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 2, 2007
                          With my old Spinshot rotating camera for film I could fasten the camera and
                          let the handle roll to have it worl like at "finish line slit-camera".
                          Wouldn't it be possible to do the same with the Spheron - just remember to
                          rewind the cable before you take the next shot ;-)

                          My link in the former mail didn't work because the use special danish
                          charecters in the file name - didn't knew it was possible at all!!
                          http://www.skivetrav.com/m%c3%a5l_foto.htm

                          But here you also find a collectin of fish line photos:
                          http://www.onthemarktiming.com/results%202005/Big%20Red%2005/Big_Red_Invitational.htm

                          - Flemming