RE: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Speed up panotools - No masks

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
      I am outputting psb

      With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB

      Without its 600 MB

      Sacha Griffin
      Southern Digital Solutions LLC
      www.southern-digital.com
      www.seeit360.net
      www.ezphotosafe.com
      404-551-4275
      404-731-7798

      _____

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
        > CS3 creates the masks it self.
        > There is no need to have them in the layer saved from PTGui.
        >
        > Hans

        Hans,
        seems that I did'nt get things right.
        To make it clearer for me, please advise me:
        which is the adequate PTGui output-format (or setting) to work with
        the new CS3 autoblend-tool ?
        Thank you,
        Klaus
      • John Houghton
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin" <sachagriffin@...>
          wrote:

          > With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB
          > Without its 600 MB

          Sacha, Could it be that you're not be comparing like with like? I
          generated a PSB layered file with PTGui and got a 31.149MB file. In
          CS2 I opened and saved the file without any changes and got a 49.265MB
          file. I deleted the layer masks and saved again and the file size
          dropped to 48.887MB. I then output individual tiff files from PTGui and
          assembled the layered file manually with layer masks and saved the file
          at 49.223MB. After deleting the layer masks and saving again, the file
          size was 40.884MB.

          John
        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
            I am using no compression 16bit.

            You are probably using 8bit with compression which should do wonders on
            making small footprints for the masks.

            Unfortunately, compression most of the time makes 16bit files larger.

            This is not a HUGE deal, it only takes me less than a dozen right clicks to
            delete all the masks.

            But it is a waste of space and possible to waste of time to create the masks
            and write the data to disk.

            Sacha Griffin
            Southern Digital Solutions LLC
            www.southern-digital.com
            www.seeit360.net
            www.ezphotosafe.com
            404-551-4275
            404-731-7798

            _____

            > With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB
            > Without its 600 MB

            Sacha, Could it be that you're not be comparing like with like? I
            generated a PSB layered file with PTGui and got a 31.149MB file. In
            CS2 I opened and saved the file without any changes and got a 49.265MB
            file. I deleted the layer masks and saved again and the file size
            dropped to 48.887MB. I then output individual tiff files from PTGui and
            assembled the layered file manually with layer masks and saved the file
            at 49.223MB. After deleting the layer masks and saving again, the file
            size was 40.884MB.

            John

          • Jim Watters
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
              It was some time since I updated the code that creates the masks for
              layered Photoshop files. From what I remember many of the other imaging
              applications could not open the files if they did not have both the clip
              mask and image mask.
              Masks should only be necessary if feathering is used. They do compress
              very well. I had to use some hack to determine at the time of creating
              the image mask whether or not feathering was selected or not.

              With the new PTMender we will have many more options. The file size
              should be smaller.

              It will need to be investigated again. It is likely that there is a
              better way to implement the masking. At the time I was trying to not to
              add the image mask if they were not needed. But unfortunately they were
              needed by some imaging applications.

              And if you are creating PSB files they are coming from PTGui not
              PanoTools. PSB will not be an option included in PanoTools. Adobe's
              license agreement does not allow it be used in open source software.

              I have put a request into Adobe for an updated SDK several weeks ago. I
              have not heard back yet. I have not tried CS3 yet. I will investigate
              any improvements to the plug-ins first.

              Jim

              --
              Jim Watters

              jwatters @ photocreations . ca
              http://photocreations.ca
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
                On Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 17:29, Sacha Griffin wrote:

                > I am outputting psb

                Then apparently you use PTGui internal stitcher.

                > With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB
                >
                > Without its 600 MB

                I see. I wouldn't have thought that the difference is that large but
                who knows the internals of PSB format ;-)

                You should ask Joost directly - could well be he doesn't read here at
                the moment.

                best regards
                http://www.erik-krause.de/
              • Klaus Hilsenbeck
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 4, 2007
                  Just want to repeat my question.
                  Maybe it got lost somehow (no answer yet).
                  Any advice appreciate.
                  Klaus