Re: Speed up panotools - No masks

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
      On Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 22:15, Hans Nyberg wrote:

      > CS3 creates the masks it self.
      > There is no need to have them in the layer saved from PTGui.

      You mean CS3 needs the clipping masks only and not the layer masks?
      This was the case for all other photoshop versions, too (except they
      didn't blend, of course).

      best regards
      http://www.erik-krause.de/
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
        I am outputting psb

        With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB

        Without its 600 MB

        Sacha Griffin
        Southern Digital Solutions LLC
        www.southern-digital.com
        www.seeit360.net
        www.ezphotosafe.com
        404-551-4275
        404-731-7798

        _____

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
          > CS3 creates the masks it self.
          > There is no need to have them in the layer saved from PTGui.
          >
          > Hans

          Hans,
          seems that I did'nt get things right.
          To make it clearer for me, please advise me:
          which is the adequate PTGui output-format (or setting) to work with
          the new CS3 autoblend-tool ?
          Thank you,
          Klaus
        • John Houghton
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin" <sachagriffin@...>
            wrote:

            > With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB
            > Without its 600 MB

            Sacha, Could it be that you're not be comparing like with like? I
            generated a PSB layered file with PTGui and got a 31.149MB file. In
            CS2 I opened and saved the file without any changes and got a 49.265MB
            file. I deleted the layer masks and saved again and the file size
            dropped to 48.887MB. I then output individual tiff files from PTGui and
            assembled the layered file manually with layer masks and saved the file
            at 49.223MB. After deleting the layer masks and saving again, the file
            size was 40.884MB.

            John
          • Sacha Griffin
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
              I am using no compression 16bit.

              You are probably using 8bit with compression which should do wonders on
              making small footprints for the masks.

              Unfortunately, compression most of the time makes 16bit files larger.

              This is not a HUGE deal, it only takes me less than a dozen right clicks to
              delete all the masks.

              But it is a waste of space and possible to waste of time to create the masks
              and write the data to disk.

              Sacha Griffin
              Southern Digital Solutions LLC
              www.southern-digital.com
              www.seeit360.net
              www.ezphotosafe.com
              404-551-4275
              404-731-7798

              _____

              > With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB
              > Without its 600 MB

              Sacha, Could it be that you're not be comparing like with like? I
              generated a PSB layered file with PTGui and got a 31.149MB file. In
              CS2 I opened and saved the file without any changes and got a 49.265MB
              file. I deleted the layer masks and saved again and the file size
              dropped to 48.887MB. I then output individual tiff files from PTGui and
              assembled the layered file manually with layer masks and saved the file
              at 49.223MB. After deleting the layer masks and saving again, the file
              size was 40.884MB.

              John

            • Jim Watters
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
                It was some time since I updated the code that creates the masks for
                layered Photoshop files. From what I remember many of the other imaging
                applications could not open the files if they did not have both the clip
                mask and image mask.
                Masks should only be necessary if feathering is used. They do compress
                very well. I had to use some hack to determine at the time of creating
                the image mask whether or not feathering was selected or not.

                With the new PTMender we will have many more options. The file size
                should be smaller.

                It will need to be investigated again. It is likely that there is a
                better way to implement the masking. At the time I was trying to not to
                add the image mask if they were not needed. But unfortunately they were
                needed by some imaging applications.

                And if you are creating PSB files they are coming from PTGui not
                PanoTools. PSB will not be an option included in PanoTools. Adobe's
                license agreement does not allow it be used in open source software.

                I have put a request into Adobe for an updated SDK several weeks ago. I
                have not heard back yet. I have not tried CS3 yet. I will investigate
                any improvements to the plug-ins first.

                Jim

                --
                Jim Watters

                jwatters @ photocreations . ca
                http://photocreations.ca
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
                  On Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 17:29, Sacha Griffin wrote:

                  > I am outputting psb

                  Then apparently you use PTGui internal stitcher.

                  > With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB
                  >
                  > Without its 600 MB

                  I see. I wouldn't have thought that the difference is that large but
                  who knows the internals of PSB format ;-)

                  You should ask Joost directly - could well be he doesn't read here at
                  the moment.

                  best regards
                  http://www.erik-krause.de/
                • Klaus Hilsenbeck
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 4, 2007
                    Just want to repeat my question.
                    Maybe it got lost somehow (no answer yet).
                    Any advice appreciate.
                    Klaus