Re: Speed up panotools - No masks

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007

      > Why should CS3 need no masks? It still needs to know where an image
      > ends.

      CS3 creates the masks it self.
      There is no need to have them in the layer saved from PTGui.

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
        On Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 22:15, Hans Nyberg wrote:

        > CS3 creates the masks it self.
        > There is no need to have them in the layer saved from PTGui.

        You mean CS3 needs the clipping masks only and not the layer masks?
        This was the case for all other photoshop versions, too (except they
        didn't blend, of course).

        best regards
        http://www.erik-krause.de/
      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
          I am outputting psb

          With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB

          Without its 600 MB

          Sacha Griffin
          Southern Digital Solutions LLC
          www.southern-digital.com
          www.seeit360.net
          www.ezphotosafe.com
          404-551-4275
          404-731-7798

          _____

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
            > CS3 creates the masks it self.
            > There is no need to have them in the layer saved from PTGui.
            >
            > Hans

            Hans,
            seems that I did'nt get things right.
            To make it clearer for me, please advise me:
            which is the adequate PTGui output-format (or setting) to work with
            the new CS3 autoblend-tool ?
            Thank you,
            Klaus
          • John Houghton
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin" <sachagriffin@...>
              wrote:

              > With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB
              > Without its 600 MB

              Sacha, Could it be that you're not be comparing like with like? I
              generated a PSB layered file with PTGui and got a 31.149MB file. In
              CS2 I opened and saved the file without any changes and got a 49.265MB
              file. I deleted the layer masks and saved again and the file size
              dropped to 48.887MB. I then output individual tiff files from PTGui and
              assembled the layered file manually with layer masks and saved the file
              at 49.223MB. After deleting the layer masks and saving again, the file
              size was 40.884MB.

              John
            • Sacha Griffin
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
                I am using no compression 16bit.

                You are probably using 8bit with compression which should do wonders on
                making small footprints for the masks.

                Unfortunately, compression most of the time makes 16bit files larger.

                This is not a HUGE deal, it only takes me less than a dozen right clicks to
                delete all the masks.

                But it is a waste of space and possible to waste of time to create the masks
                and write the data to disk.

                Sacha Griffin
                Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                www.southern-digital.com
                www.seeit360.net
                www.ezphotosafe.com
                404-551-4275
                404-731-7798

                _____

                > With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB
                > Without its 600 MB

                Sacha, Could it be that you're not be comparing like with like? I
                generated a PSB layered file with PTGui and got a 31.149MB file. In
                CS2 I opened and saved the file without any changes and got a 49.265MB
                file. I deleted the layer masks and saved again and the file size
                dropped to 48.887MB. I then output individual tiff files from PTGui and
                assembled the layered file manually with layer masks and saved the file
                at 49.223MB. After deleting the layer masks and saving again, the file
                size was 40.884MB.

                John

              • Jim Watters
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
                  It was some time since I updated the code that creates the masks for
                  layered Photoshop files. From what I remember many of the other imaging
                  applications could not open the files if they did not have both the clip
                  mask and image mask.
                  Masks should only be necessary if feathering is used. They do compress
                  very well. I had to use some hack to determine at the time of creating
                  the image mask whether or not feathering was selected or not.

                  With the new PTMender we will have many more options. The file size
                  should be smaller.

                  It will need to be investigated again. It is likely that there is a
                  better way to implement the masking. At the time I was trying to not to
                  add the image mask if they were not needed. But unfortunately they were
                  needed by some imaging applications.

                  And if you are creating PSB files they are coming from PTGui not
                  PanoTools. PSB will not be an option included in PanoTools. Adobe's
                  license agreement does not allow it be used in open source software.

                  I have put a request into Adobe for an updated SDK several weeks ago. I
                  have not heard back yet. I have not tried CS3 yet. I will investigate
                  any improvements to the plug-ins first.

                  Jim

                  --
                  Jim Watters

                  jwatters @ photocreations . ca
                  http://photocreations.ca
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
                    On Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 17:29, Sacha Griffin wrote:

                    > I am outputting psb

                    Then apparently you use PTGui internal stitcher.

                    > With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB
                    >
                    > Without its 600 MB

                    I see. I wouldn't have thought that the difference is that large but
                    who knows the internals of PSB format ;-)

                    You should ask Joost directly - could well be he doesn't read here at
                    the moment.

                    best regards
                    http://www.erik-krause.de/
                  • Klaus Hilsenbeck
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 4, 2007
                      Just want to repeat my question.
                      Maybe it got lost somehow (no answer yet).
                      Any advice appreciate.
                      Klaus