Re: Speed up panotools - No masks

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
      On Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 15:09, Sacha Griffin wrote:

      > With cs3 masks aren't needed.
      > Output individual layers still creates masks.

      I don't understand fully. Which format do you output? TIFFs simply
      contain alpha channels which have to serve as a mask. PSDs contain
      both a clipping mask and a layer mask. The clipping mask is the limit
      of the single layer image and the layer mask can contain a feathered
      seam.

      If you use panotools for stitching you can output Photoshop without
      feather ("PSD_nomask") in which case the clipping mask and the layer
      mask are identical. No additional calculation step needed (but I
      don't know whether it is performed).

      Why should CS3 need no masks? It still needs to know where an image
      ends.

      best regards

      http://www.erik-krause.de/
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
        That explains it nicely.

        Sacha Griffin
        Southern Digital Solutions LLC
        www.southern-digital.com
        www.seeit360.net
        www.ezphotosafe.com
        404-551-4275
        404-731-7798

        _____

        On Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 15:09, Sacha Griffin wrote:

        > With cs3 masks aren't needed.
        > Output individual layers still creates masks.

        I don't understand fully. Which format do you output? TIFFs simply
        contain alpha channels which have to serve as a mask. PSDs contain
        both a clipping mask and a layer mask. The clipping mask is the limit
        of the single layer image and the layer mask can contain a feathered
        seam.

        If you use panotools for stitching you can output Photoshop without
        feather ("PSD_nomask") in which case the clipping mask and the layer
        mask are identical. No additional calculation step needed (but I
        don't know whether it is performed).

        Why should CS3 need no masks? It still needs to know where an image
        ends.

        best regards

        http://www.erik- <http://www.erik-krause.de/> krause.de/

      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007

          > Why should CS3 need no masks? It still needs to know where an image
          > ends.

          CS3 creates the masks it self.
          There is no need to have them in the layer saved from PTGui.

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
            On Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 22:15, Hans Nyberg wrote:

            > CS3 creates the masks it self.
            > There is no need to have them in the layer saved from PTGui.

            You mean CS3 needs the clipping masks only and not the layer masks?
            This was the case for all other photoshop versions, too (except they
            didn't blend, of course).

            best regards
            http://www.erik-krause.de/
          • Sacha Griffin
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
              I am outputting psb

              With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB

              Without its 600 MB

              Sacha Griffin
              Southern Digital Solutions LLC
              www.southern-digital.com
              www.seeit360.net
              www.ezphotosafe.com
              404-551-4275
              404-731-7798

              _____

              On Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 15:09, Sacha Griffin wrote:

              > With cs3 masks aren't needed.
              > Output individual layers still creates masks.

              I don't understand fully. Which format do you output? TIFFs simply
              contain alpha channels which have to serve as a mask. PSDs contain
              both a clipping mask and a layer mask. The clipping mask is the limit
              of the single layer image and the layer mask can contain a feathered
              seam.

              If you use panotools for stitching you can output Photoshop without
              feather ("PSD_nomask") in which case the clipping mask and the layer
              mask are identical. No additional calculation step needed (but I
              don't know whether it is performed).

              Why should CS3 need no masks? It still needs to know where an image
              ends.

              best regards

              http://www.erik- <http://www.erik-krause.de/> krause.de/

            • Klaus Hilsenbeck
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
                > CS3 creates the masks it self.
                > There is no need to have them in the layer saved from PTGui.
                >
                > Hans

                Hans,
                seems that I did'nt get things right.
                To make it clearer for me, please advise me:
                which is the adequate PTGui output-format (or setting) to work with
                the new CS3 autoblend-tool ?
                Thank you,
                Klaus
              • John Houghton
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin" <sachagriffin@...>
                  wrote:

                  > With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB
                  > Without its 600 MB

                  Sacha, Could it be that you're not be comparing like with like? I
                  generated a PSB layered file with PTGui and got a 31.149MB file. In
                  CS2 I opened and saved the file without any changes and got a 49.265MB
                  file. I deleted the layer masks and saved again and the file size
                  dropped to 48.887MB. I then output individual tiff files from PTGui and
                  assembled the layered file manually with layer masks and saved the file
                  at 49.223MB. After deleting the layer masks and saving again, the file
                  size was 40.884MB.

                  John
                • Sacha Griffin
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
                    I am using no compression 16bit.

                    You are probably using 8bit with compression which should do wonders on
                    making small footprints for the masks.

                    Unfortunately, compression most of the time makes 16bit files larger.

                    This is not a HUGE deal, it only takes me less than a dozen right clicks to
                    delete all the masks.

                    But it is a waste of space and possible to waste of time to create the masks
                    and write the data to disk.

                    Sacha Griffin
                    Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                    www.southern-digital.com
                    www.seeit360.net
                    www.ezphotosafe.com
                    404-551-4275
                    404-731-7798

                    _____

                    > With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB
                    > Without its 600 MB

                    Sacha, Could it be that you're not be comparing like with like? I
                    generated a PSB layered file with PTGui and got a 31.149MB file. In
                    CS2 I opened and saved the file without any changes and got a 49.265MB
                    file. I deleted the layer masks and saved again and the file size
                    dropped to 48.887MB. I then output individual tiff files from PTGui and
                    assembled the layered file manually with layer masks and saved the file
                    at 49.223MB. After deleting the layer masks and saving again, the file
                    size was 40.884MB.

                    John

                  • Jim Watters
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
                      It was some time since I updated the code that creates the masks for
                      layered Photoshop files. From what I remember many of the other imaging
                      applications could not open the files if they did not have both the clip
                      mask and image mask.
                      Masks should only be necessary if feathering is used. They do compress
                      very well. I had to use some hack to determine at the time of creating
                      the image mask whether or not feathering was selected or not.

                      With the new PTMender we will have many more options. The file size
                      should be smaller.

                      It will need to be investigated again. It is likely that there is a
                      better way to implement the masking. At the time I was trying to not to
                      add the image mask if they were not needed. But unfortunately they were
                      needed by some imaging applications.

                      And if you are creating PSB files they are coming from PTGui not
                      PanoTools. PSB will not be an option included in PanoTools. Adobe's
                      license agreement does not allow it be used in open source software.

                      I have put a request into Adobe for an updated SDK several weeks ago. I
                      have not heard back yet. I have not tried CS3 yet. I will investigate
                      any improvements to the plug-ins first.

                      Jim

                      --
                      Jim Watters

                      jwatters @ photocreations . ca
                      http://photocreations.ca
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
                        On Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 17:29, Sacha Griffin wrote:

                        > I am outputting psb

                        Then apparently you use PTGui internal stitcher.

                        > With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB
                        >
                        > Without its 600 MB

                        I see. I wouldn't have thought that the difference is that large but
                        who knows the internals of PSB format ;-)

                        You should ask Joost directly - could well be he doesn't read here at
                        the moment.

                        best regards
                        http://www.erik-krause.de/
                      • Klaus Hilsenbeck
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 4, 2007
                          Just want to repeat my question.
                          Maybe it got lost somehow (no answer yet).
                          Any advice appreciate.
                          Klaus