Speed up panotools - No masks

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
      With cs3 masks aren't needed.
      Output individual layers still creates masks.
      Is there a way to skip this step?

      Sacha Griffin
      Southern Digital Solutions LLC
      www.southern-digital.com
      www.seeit360.net
      www.ezphotosafe.com
      404-551-4275
      404-731-7798
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
        On Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 15:09, Sacha Griffin wrote:

        > With cs3 masks aren't needed.
        > Output individual layers still creates masks.

        I don't understand fully. Which format do you output? TIFFs simply
        contain alpha channels which have to serve as a mask. PSDs contain
        both a clipping mask and a layer mask. The clipping mask is the limit
        of the single layer image and the layer mask can contain a feathered
        seam.

        If you use panotools for stitching you can output Photoshop without
        feather ("PSD_nomask") in which case the clipping mask and the layer
        mask are identical. No additional calculation step needed (but I
        don't know whether it is performed).

        Why should CS3 need no masks? It still needs to know where an image
        ends.

        best regards

        http://www.erik-krause.de/
      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
          That explains it nicely.

          _____

          On Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 15:09, Sacha Griffin wrote:

          > With cs3 masks aren't needed.
          > Output individual layers still creates masks.

          I don't understand fully. Which format do you output? TIFFs simply
          contain alpha channels which have to serve as a mask. PSDs contain
          both a clipping mask and a layer mask. The clipping mask is the limit
          of the single layer image and the layer mask can contain a feathered
          seam.

          If you use panotools for stitching you can output Photoshop without
          feather ("PSD_nomask") in which case the clipping mask and the layer
          mask are identical. No additional calculation step needed (but I
          don't know whether it is performed).

          Why should CS3 need no masks? It still needs to know where an image
          ends.

          best regards

          http://www.erik- <http://www.erik-krause.de/> krause.de/

        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007

            > Why should CS3 need no masks? It still needs to know where an image
            > ends.

            CS3 creates the masks it self.
            There is no need to have them in the layer saved from PTGui.

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
              On Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 22:15, Hans Nyberg wrote:

              > CS3 creates the masks it self.
              > There is no need to have them in the layer saved from PTGui.

              You mean CS3 needs the clipping masks only and not the layer masks?
              This was the case for all other photoshop versions, too (except they
              didn't blend, of course).

              best regards
              http://www.erik-krause.de/
            • Sacha Griffin
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
                I am outputting psb

                With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB

                Without its 600 MB

                Sacha Griffin
                Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                www.southern-digital.com
                www.seeit360.net
                www.ezphotosafe.com
                404-551-4275
                404-731-7798

                _____

                On Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 15:09, Sacha Griffin wrote:

                > With cs3 masks aren't needed.
                > Output individual layers still creates masks.

                I don't understand fully. Which format do you output? TIFFs simply
                contain alpha channels which have to serve as a mask. PSDs contain
                both a clipping mask and a layer mask. The clipping mask is the limit
                of the single layer image and the layer mask can contain a feathered
                seam.

                If you use panotools for stitching you can output Photoshop without
                feather ("PSD_nomask") in which case the clipping mask and the layer
                mask are identical. No additional calculation step needed (but I
                don't know whether it is performed).

                Why should CS3 need no masks? It still needs to know where an image
                ends.

                best regards

                http://www.erik- <http://www.erik-krause.de/> krause.de/

              • Klaus Hilsenbeck
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
                  > CS3 creates the masks it self.
                  > There is no need to have them in the layer saved from PTGui.
                  >
                  > Hans

                  Hans,
                  seems that I did'nt get things right.
                  To make it clearer for me, please advise me:
                  which is the adequate PTGui output-format (or setting) to work with
                  the new CS3 autoblend-tool ?
                  Thank you,
                  Klaus
                • John Houghton
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin" <sachagriffin@...>
                    wrote:

                    > With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB
                    > Without its 600 MB

                    Sacha, Could it be that you're not be comparing like with like? I
                    generated a PSB layered file with PTGui and got a 31.149MB file. In
                    CS2 I opened and saved the file without any changes and got a 49.265MB
                    file. I deleted the layer masks and saved again and the file size
                    dropped to 48.887MB. I then output individual tiff files from PTGui and
                    assembled the layered file manually with layer masks and saved the file
                    at 49.223MB. After deleting the layer masks and saving again, the file
                    size was 40.884MB.

                    John
                  • Sacha Griffin
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
                      I am using no compression 16bit.

                      You are probably using 8bit with compression which should do wonders on
                      making small footprints for the masks.

                      Unfortunately, compression most of the time makes 16bit files larger.

                      This is not a HUGE deal, it only takes me less than a dozen right clicks to
                      delete all the masks.

                      But it is a waste of space and possible to waste of time to create the masks
                      and write the data to disk.

                      Sacha Griffin
                      Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                      www.southern-digital.com
                      www.seeit360.net
                      www.ezphotosafe.com
                      404-551-4275
                      404-731-7798

                      _____

                      > With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB
                      > Without its 600 MB

                      Sacha, Could it be that you're not be comparing like with like? I
                      generated a PSB layered file with PTGui and got a 31.149MB file. In
                      CS2 I opened and saved the file without any changes and got a 49.265MB
                      file. I deleted the layer masks and saved again and the file size
                      dropped to 48.887MB. I then output individual tiff files from PTGui and
                      assembled the layered file manually with layer masks and saved the file
                      at 49.223MB. After deleting the layer masks and saving again, the file
                      size was 40.884MB.

                      John

                    • Jim Watters
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
                        It was some time since I updated the code that creates the masks for
                        layered Photoshop files. From what I remember many of the other imaging
                        applications could not open the files if they did not have both the clip
                        mask and image mask.
                        Masks should only be necessary if feathering is used. They do compress
                        very well. I had to use some hack to determine at the time of creating
                        the image mask whether or not feathering was selected or not.

                        With the new PTMender we will have many more options. The file size
                        should be smaller.

                        It will need to be investigated again. It is likely that there is a
                        better way to implement the masking. At the time I was trying to not to
                        add the image mask if they were not needed. But unfortunately they were
                        needed by some imaging applications.

                        And if you are creating PSB files they are coming from PTGui not
                        PanoTools. PSB will not be an option included in PanoTools. Adobe's
                        license agreement does not allow it be used in open source software.

                        I have put a request into Adobe for an updated SDK several weeks ago. I
                        have not heard back yet. I have not tried CS3 yet. I will investigate
                        any improvements to the plug-ins first.

                        Jim

                        --
                        Jim Watters

                        jwatters @ photocreations . ca
                        http://photocreations.ca
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
                          On Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 17:29, Sacha Griffin wrote:

                          > I am outputting psb

                          Then apparently you use PTGui internal stitcher.

                          > With masks that I don't need the file size is 2.3 GB
                          >
                          > Without its 600 MB

                          I see. I wouldn't have thought that the difference is that large but
                          who knows the internals of PSB format ;-)

                          You should ask Joost directly - could well be he doesn't read here at
                          the moment.

                          best regards
                          http://www.erik-krause.de/
                        • Klaus Hilsenbeck
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 4, 2007
                            Just want to repeat my question.
                            Maybe it got lost somehow (no answer yet).
                            Any advice appreciate.
                            Klaus