Call for Contributions: Aeasthetically Interesting Spherical Panoramas

  • dmgalpha
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2007
      As you might know I am interested in the creation of software to
      create panoramas. One of my current interests is in the creation of of
      flat representations of spherical panoramas.

      This year I am participating in the International Symposium on
      Computational Aesthetics in Graphics, Visualization, and Imaging
      http://innovis.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/cae2007/pmwiki.php Aesthetics, to
      happen in Banff, Canada.

      The Symposium is asking for Artistic Contributions
      http://innovis.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/cae2007/pmwiki.php/Main/CallForArtisticContributions

      I believe that we, as a group, can create a very interesting
      submission and I want to curate it (I believe Yuval might also be
      involved in its organization).

      My objective is to present 20 to 24 spherical panoramas in a flat
      representation and that are aesthetically interesting. It is an
      electronic exhibit, but if I get guaranteed space (and the artists
      agree) I'll print the panoramas and display them.

      I am asking for contributions for this submission.

      The subject of the panoramas is open.

      Artists can use any projection to present the sphere, but it has to be a
      complete sphere (360x180 degrees), and it has to be presented in a
      flat image. The artist will also submit a QTVR and a equirectangular
      of the equivalent sphere to give an idea of what the original scene
      is. The flat images will need to be of at least 1200 pixels in the
      largest dimension. (The rules are not strict: a very interesting
      partial panorama might be accepted).

      The artist retains all the rights. The symposium will have limited
      rights to display the works, and only during the symposium.

      The dates are approaching fast. I need to submit the proposal to the
      symposium committee by March 12. I therefore need to receive the
      submissions by March 7.

      I don't see this as a competition. I rather see it as an opportunity
      by those interested in the aesthetics of panoramas to showcase their
      work (and to add to their artistic resume).

      If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.

      dr. Daniel M. German
      Dept. of Computer Science
      University of Victoria
      VIctoria, BC, Canada.
    • erik leeman
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2007
        If my copyright is safe and secure I am certainly interested in
        contibuting!
        Please have a look at my site to see if you can find something useful
        http://www.erikleeman.com/QT/fullscreen-english.htm
        or
        http://flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/
        for the equirectangular versions.

        The original sizes are approximately 11150 x 5575 pixels.

        Thanks,

        erik leeman
      • dmgalpha
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

          > If my copyright is safe and secure I am certainly interested in
          > contibuting!
          > Please have a look at my site to see if you can find something useful
          > http://www.erikleeman.com/QT/fullscreen-english.htm
          > or
          > http://flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/
          > for the equirectangular versions.
          >
          > The original sizes are approximately 11150 x 5575 pixels.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > erik leeman

          I conversed today with the chair of the conference and assured me that
          the copyright issues are up to the artists. As I mentioned before, the
          copyright rests with the artists: there is no transfer of copyright at
          any point.

          I am leaning towards a web site that showcases the work and that can
          be made available to anybody who wants to explore it. I am open to
          suggestions.

          Erik, you have to determine what you want to submit for consideration,
          and call my attention to it. I am assembling a group of people who
          will help me go over the submissions and determine what to include in
          the final version.

          There will be also space available for displaying prints which I am
          willing to fund and print (no frames, though).

          Finally, by March 12 we need to have a proposal, not necessarily the
          final product. We will then have a final notification of acceptance
          (yes, there is the potential for the proposal not to be accepted).

          dmg