Re: Nikon/Canon ring ...

  • dmgalpha
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Crawford <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > Alex wrote:
      > > I bought one from fotodiox.com and it's great! Used mostly with a
      > > Micro-Nikkor
      > > on my 400D for extremely sharp closeups of small items.
      > > No focus confirmation though. Apparently if you search eBay there are
      > > versions of the adapter which have attached a small contact assembly,
      > > and some
      > > electronics, whereby the AF indicator displays when proper focus is
      > > achieved.
      > > To my knowledge there are no adapters allowing AF as such with Nikkor
      > > lenses on EOS bodies.
      > > Alex
      >
      > I second the recommendation for the fotodiox adapter. I am using one
      > with the Nikon 10.5mm on my Canon Rebel XT and, it is working well.
      >
      > If I understand correctly, you are unlikely to see an adapter that will
      > allow Nikon lenses to auto focus on Canon cameras, barring a major
      > development in making motor miniaturization. I believe Canon uses an
      > electronic connection between the lens and body to drive a motor in the
      > lens, while Nikon uses a gear system to focus their lenses from a motor
      > in the body.

      I believe the original poster was referring to focus confirmation,
      which these adapters do not give.

      There is a M42 adapter known as the dandelion that provides focus
      confirmation.

      In the case of the 10.5 this is not a problem. The lens focuses sharp
      from 1 would say 1m to infinity at approximately F8.

      Has anybody tried the manual focusing screens from Canon? They can be
      mounted on the series 1, 3, 5, and I have seen hacks to make them fit
      in a 20d.

      dmg
    • JD Smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
        On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:52:46 -0700, Andrew Crawford wrote:

        > If I understand correctly, you are unlikely to see an adapter that will
        > allow Nikon lenses to auto focus on Canon cameras, barring a major
        > development in making motor miniaturization. I believe Canon uses an
        > electronic connection between the lens and body to drive a motor in the
        > lens, while Nikon uses a gear system to focus their lenses from a motor
        > in the body.

        Actually, very few Nikon lenses still use this in-body drive system;
        most have their own focus motors which are addressed electronically.
        Only a few currently produced lenses do, the widely regarded 50mm f1.8
        and the 10.5mm fisheye among them. Their newest consumer camera
        completely lacks the body drive. Lenses where focus isn't a priority
        (such as this one, with its huge depth of field), often omit the motor
        to save space and price.

        JD
      • tflyfish2002
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
          If you search ebay, or my post a few days ago you will see that there
          is a adapter that does give focus confirmation, it works well with my
          1Ds and the 10.5. I guess you might not need it if you lock the focus
          ring in place, but it is very easy to move it when taking the photo's.

          Bazzer