Re: camera spinner mk3

  • Juergen Schrader
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 28, 2007
      From my own experience I would consider a drive that does about 1
      round per second. Better less.
      To get enough torque this should be at around 10-12V, which can
      easily be achieved by soldering 8 to 10 cells into a pack (or buy one
      from your local RC dealer).

      I have bought 2 drives for testing here (the 1:100 and 1:200):
      http://tinyurl.com/yps846

      The challenge now is to assemble it with a plate with 4 tappets at
      90° that would trigger a microswitch to fire the camera.

      I agree with Peter that a gear with a centered shaft has some
      advantages :)

      Cheers
      Jürgen

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Martin
      Hrdlicka" <martin.hrdlicka@...> wrote:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <mediavr@> wrote:
      > >
      > > "Martin Hrdlicka" wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hello Peter,
      > > > which version have you bought ?
      > > > http://docs-
      > > asia.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0306/0900766b80306517.pdf
      > > > I found the reseller here in Czech Republic.
      > > > I think about R.P.M and like to know what do you prefer.
      > > > Thank You
      > > >
      > > > Martin
      > > >

      > > it is not listed in that pdf I think but it is very like
      > > the one you see by searching "940D1001" in the pdf --
      > > the one I got is called the "Epic Geared Motor 100:1"
      > >

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <mediavr@> wrote:
      > >
      > > "Martin Hrdlicka" wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hello Peter,
      > > > which version have you bought ?
      > > > http://docs-
      > > asia.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0306/0900766b80306517.pdf
      > > > I found the reseller here in Czech Republic.
      > > > I think about R.P.M and like to know what do you prefer.
      > > > Thank You
      > > >
      > > > Martin
      > > >

      > > it is not listed in that pdf I think but it is very like
      > > the one you see by searching "940D1001" in the pdf --
      > > the one I got is called the "Epic Geared Motor 100:1"
      > >
      > Thank you. This is page with table below with ratios and voltage
      > referenced to rpm.
      >
      > http://www.panorama360.cz/motor/
      >
      > I can not imagine which rotation speed is usable for our pole pano
      > shooting.
      > The version 100:1 has more rovolutions peer minute than 516:1.
      > That is why I am a litlle bit confused..

    • Roger Berry
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 28, 2007
        Has anyone looked at the different battery operated barbeque rotisserie?
        This may be to slow but there's a lot of modules out there.
        http://www.sonofhibachionline.com/accessories.php

        Roger Berry
      • Carel
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
          I found two very well made gearhead motors with a center shaft at the Robot
          Store:
          http://tinyurl.com/2guvt8 188:1 ratio
          http://tinyurl.com/ytuqo6 90:1 ratio
          Their voltage range is 4.5v-24v, which is great for batteries and PWM speed
          controlling circuits.

          At the moment I am experimenting with the one that has a 90:1 ratio, which
          comes close to Peter Murphy's 100:1 motor. The motor seems to have no
          problem turning the 5D/10.5mm around, but I have to come up with a a way to
          take the downward and sideways stresses that are caused by the camera, off
          the motor's tiny (but high grade steel) spindle. Michel Thoby's solution of
          using a cheap electric screwdriver would take care of that, as the shaft is
          already built to take some abuse, but I cannot find any screwdriver that
          turns slow enough. The one I bought and disassembled still turns way too
          fast at 1volt, which is less than can be provided by one battery. I also
          prefer the superior quality of the Robot-store motors.

          I am curious how Peter Murphy and other gearheads have dealt with the
          "spindle-stress".

          Carel Struycken

        • Jim Watters
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
            Carel wrote:
            > I have to come up with a a way to take the downward and sideways
            > stresses that are caused by the camera, off the motor's tiny (but
            > high grade steel) spindle.
            >
            > I am curious how Peter Murphy and other gearheads have dealt with the
            > "spindle-stress".
            >
            > Carel Struycken

            Instead of putting the camera on the no-parallax-point put it on the
            center of gravity. If the center of gravity is too far from the npp
            then you could try counter balancing the camera as long as it does not
            interfere with the view from the lens. When the camera is up a 5m pole
            the nearest object is likely at least 5m away. Parallax error will not
            be a big issue. Eliminating Camera shake or pole wabbel

            I salvaged a bunch of motors and gears from equipment that my work was
            sending away to be recycled. I am going to try putting a gear on the
            axis and the motor off center.

            --
            Jim Watters

            Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
            jwatters @ photocreations . ca
            http://photocreations.ca
          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 6, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

              > I found two very well made gearhead motors with a center shaft at
              the Robot
              > Store:
              > http://tinyurl.com/2guvt8 188:1 ratio
              > http://tinyurl.com/ytuqo6 90:1 ratio
              > Their voltage range is 4.5v-24v, which is great for batteries and
              PWM speed
              > controlling circuits.

              They look like nice motors .. and cheap too. The similar one I bought
              and have been assembling had that spindle stress issue too -- more
              like bearing stress. I fixed a collar around the shaft where it came
              out of the motor to support it some but it was still not enough with
              a 5D. Like you say, it needs some engineering to take the stress off
              the motor .. bearings in a cylinder, with some sort of shaft to
              transmit the torque from the motor ... that sort of thing.

              So I went back to my original more heavy duty motor, which has a
              slightly larger nadir profile, not being epicyclic.

              At 1 rev in 2 sec the wobble of a non-centre of gravity setup is not
              too bad (if the spindle stress issue is not wrecking the motor). At 1
              rev in 1 sec it is a major issue. Since I have been using the former
              speed lately for action sequences (= 6 shots at 3fps)
              it is not a problem really. It is very handy to have the lower
              parallax results -- often I use a monopod+motorized had at eyelevel
              where a centre of gravity approach would mean too much parallax

              Peter
            • panovrx
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 6, 2007

                often I use a monopod+motorized system at eyelevel
                > where a centre of gravity approach would mean too much parallax

                like this one from today
                http://www.mediavr.com/jesus.htm

                this is actually a little below eye level -- I am crouching at the base
                of the pole (an adapted Rode boom pole), wrapped around it
                .. it was quite poor light with hectic action
                1/2000th f4 7shots 10.5mm/5D 2seconds rotation

                Peter
              • Carel Struycken
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 6, 2007
                  <quote author='panovrx'>
                  .....snip
                  Like you say, it needs some engineering to take the stress off
                  the motor .. bearings in a cylinder, with some sort of shaft to
                  transmit the torque from the motor ... that sort of thing.
                  .....snip

                  Peter

                  </quote>

                  Hi Peter,

                  That is encouraging feedback. I did not know if I was being overly
                  cautious, but it just did not feel right having the 5D pull on that
                  spindle, even with the bearing I had added to take off some of the
                  downward pressure. I think (at least on paper) I have the solution.
                  There will be a 3/8" rod, with a thread at the top half to standardize
                  whatever gets screwed in there. The unthreaded half will for the most
                  part be inside a bronze sleave bearing, which will relieve the stress
                  on the spindle of the sideways pulling of the camera. Then there will
                  be a "thrust" bearing sitting on top of the bushing, which will take
                  the weight of the camera off the spindle and transfer it to the
                  housing in which the bushing is seated.
                  A thrust bearing is the kind of bearing they use on a "lazy susan", in
                  this instance a miniature one.
                  A *very* rough sketch is here: www.sphericalpanoramas.com/motor.html
                  I have a heavy duty bench drill, but I could not get an accurately
                  enough centered hole in the rod for the spindle. I think it needs to
                  be done with a mill. This will now all have to wait for a month, when
                  I come back from the trip to Europe.

                  Carel
                • dalileis
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 6, 2007
                    Hi, Peter!

                    The gadget certainly looks nice. But in the pano
                    http://www.mediavr.com/citytosurf2006.htm there is a lot of banding in
                    the sky. I experience similar problems sometimes with D70 + Sigma 8mm,
                    but I reckon this is easily avoidable with 5D and 10.5? Or am I
                    missing some fact here? Otherwise lovely looking pano, especially
                    under the conditions. By the way, I remember learning VR from your
                    articles, thanks for those.

                    On the side note...

                    Who woulda ever thought Jook was in such a terrific shape? Must have
                    trained for this like there's no tomorrow.

                    ;)

                    > Here is another configuration of my camera spinner gadget
                    > http://www.mediavr.com/cameraspinner3.jpg
                    >
                    > this has the advantage over previous versions of having a smaller nadir
                    > visual profile -- also looks less visually conspicuous
                    >
                    > inside the tube are 3AA batteries and a 9V battery and relay for the
                    > Zap-shot radio release --- which plugs in at the bottom. Or I can plug
                    > in a mechanical switch. By pulling out the top I can change batteries
                    > quickly
                    >
                    > This is shot with the camera in a no-parallax position. Which means it
                    > is off-centre in terms of centre of gravity. So it wobbles a bit as it
                    > spins. But I have decided that is not so bad as having parallax issues -
                    > I just need to build up my camera-holding muscles some :-)
                    >
                    > Here is a pano I did with it yesterday -- 10.5mm on 5D -- 4 shots mainly
                    > http://www.mediavr.com/citytosurf2006.htm at 3fps
                    > 2500th of a second at f4 approx at 320ASA
                    > these direct sun/crowd shots need careful shadow watching -- so that
                    > you arent yourself shadowing some unretouchable area or standing on
                    > someone's shadow
                    >
                    > Peter Murphy
                    > http://www.mediavr.com/blog

                  • John Houghton
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 6, 2007
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dalileis" <qtvrbiro@...> wrote:

                      > there is a lot of banding in the sky. I experience similar problems
                      > sometimes with D70 + Sigma 8mm, but I reckon this is easily
                      > avoidable with 5D and 10.5? Or am I missing some fact here?

                      The banding has nothing to do with the camera and lens. It's a
                      workflow problem. The banding can easily arise when using image
                      adjustment tools such as levels or curves in 8 bit mode or by applying
                      too much jpeg compression.

                      John
                    • dalileis
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 7, 2007
                        I was also thinking along the lines of resolution being a factor. For
                        example, if you compress the pano with the resolution of 10000 x 5000
                        px to jpeg, quality 60 % or so, and apply the same jpeg compression to
                        the pano with the resolution of 6000 x 3000 px, the pano that had the
                        higher (true, sensor dependent, not Photoshoped, artificial, with made
                        up pixels) resolution from the start may avoid banding, while the
                        other lower-res one may not.

                        Is this so?

                        Since I know that the combo 5D + 10.5 does not offer specially
                        high-res output (when compared with D200 + 10.5 for exemple) I was
                        wondering if it the banding had to do with this or was mainly the
                        question of workflow preferences, thus easily avoidable. It probably
                        is completely avoidable, 5D + 10.5 is a superb combo, so no worries
                        there, I don't think. Would have liked if there were some more pixels
                        per inch from these two, however.

                        Dalileis

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...>