Re: [PanoToolsNG] Nikon/Canon ring ...

  • Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
      Andrew Crawford-2 wrote:

      > Alex wrote:
      >> I bought one from fotodiox.com and it's great!
      > I second the recommendation for the fotodiox adapter.

      I third it :-) I have been using one for almost a year now with no problem
      at all.

      zbooy

    • dmgalpha
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Crawford <yahoo@...> wrote:

        > Alex wrote:
        > > I bought one from fotodiox.com and it's great! Used mostly with a
        > > Micro-Nikkor
        > > on my 400D for extremely sharp closeups of small items.
        > > No focus confirmation though. Apparently if you search eBay there are
        > > versions of the adapter which have attached a small contact assembly,
        > > and some
        > > electronics, whereby the AF indicator displays when proper focus is
        > > achieved.
        > > To my knowledge there are no adapters allowing AF as such with Nikkor
        > > lenses on EOS bodies.
        > > Alex
        >
        > I second the recommendation for the fotodiox adapter. I am using one
        > with the Nikon 10.5mm on my Canon Rebel XT and, it is working well.
        >
        > If I understand correctly, you are unlikely to see an adapter that will
        > allow Nikon lenses to auto focus on Canon cameras, barring a major
        > development in making motor miniaturization. I believe Canon uses an
        > electronic connection between the lens and body to drive a motor in the
        > lens, while Nikon uses a gear system to focus their lenses from a motor
        > in the body.

        I believe the original poster was referring to focus confirmation,
        which these adapters do not give.

        There is a M42 adapter known as the dandelion that provides focus
        confirmation.

        In the case of the 10.5 this is not a problem. The lens focuses sharp
        from 1 would say 1m to infinity at approximately F8.

        Has anybody tried the manual focusing screens from Canon? They can be
        mounted on the series 1, 3, 5, and I have seen hacks to make them fit
        in a 20d.

        dmg
      • JD Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
          On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:52:46 -0700, Andrew Crawford wrote:

          > If I understand correctly, you are unlikely to see an adapter that will
          > allow Nikon lenses to auto focus on Canon cameras, barring a major
          > development in making motor miniaturization. I believe Canon uses an
          > electronic connection between the lens and body to drive a motor in the
          > lens, while Nikon uses a gear system to focus their lenses from a motor
          > in the body.

          Actually, very few Nikon lenses still use this in-body drive system;
          most have their own focus motors which are addressed electronically.
          Only a few currently produced lenses do, the widely regarded 50mm f1.8
          and the 10.5mm fisheye among them. Their newest consumer camera
          completely lacks the body drive. Lenses where focus isn't a priority
          (such as this one, with its huge depth of field), often omit the motor
          to save space and price.

          JD
        • tflyfish2002
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
            If you search ebay, or my post a few days ago you will see that there
            is a adapter that does give focus confirmation, it works well with my
            1Ds and the 10.5. I guess you might not need it if you lock the focus
            ring in place, but it is very easy to move it when taking the photo's.

            Bazzer