Re: Nikon/Canon ring ...

  • dmgalpha
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28 9:44 AM
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, stuart mcalister
      <strtmcalister@...> wrote:

      > Folks,
      >
      > If I really must invest in a Nikkor 10,5mm then I'll
      > need a mounting ring for my Canon 5D.
      >
      > Apparently they're available on the net. Has anyone
      > any experience with finding/buying one from a virtual
      > supplier ... any recommendations?
      >
      > Thanks for your time,
      >
      > Stuart

      Novoflex: works great, well built (I don't have a 5d, but it works
      well in a EOS 3 and ElanIIe).

      Adorama: No problems in years of buying from them.

      dmg
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 28 9:49 AM
        This is also true for the higher end novoflex.

        As has been said before.. Find out what your focus should be in several
        photographic tests, then either notate it or tape the whole sucker down with
        tape and forget about it.

        Sacha Griffin
        Southern Digital Solutions LLC
        www.southern-digital.com
        www.seeit360.net
        www.ezphotosafe.com
        404-551-4275
        404-731-7798

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 28 9:52 AM
          Alex wrote:
          > I bought one from fotodiox.com and it's great! Used mostly with a
          > Micro-Nikkor
          > on my 400D for extremely sharp closeups of small items.
          > No focus confirmation though. Apparently if you search eBay there are
          > versions of the adapter which have attached a small contact assembly,
          > and some
          > electronics, whereby the AF indicator displays when proper focus is
          > achieved.
          > To my knowledge there are no adapters allowing AF as such with Nikkor
          > lenses on EOS bodies.
          > Alex

          I second the recommendation for the fotodiox adapter. I am using one
          with the Nikon 10.5mm on my Canon Rebel XT and, it is working well.

          If I understand correctly, you are unlikely to see an adapter that will
          allow Nikon lenses to auto focus on Canon cameras, barring a major
          development in making motor miniaturization. I believe Canon uses an
          electronic connection between the lens and body to drive a motor in the
          lens, while Nikon uses a gear system to focus their lenses from a motor
          in the body.

          There was a recent discussion here about creating a little piece of
          metal to prop the aperture open to different typical settings. It might
          be worth looking for that thread.

          If you are braver about making modifications to your equipment, Michel
          Thoby created a tutorial for modifying the adapter to adjust the
          aperture by rotating the lens:

          http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Adaptateur_EOS_Nikon/Instal_a_manual-Stop_setting_on_the_Nik-EOS_adapter.html

          Andrew Crawford
        • Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 28 12:19 PM
            Andrew Crawford-2 wrote:

            > Alex wrote:
            >> I bought one from fotodiox.com and it's great!
            > I second the recommendation for the fotodiox adapter.

            I third it :-) I have been using one for almost a year now with no problem
            at all.

            zbooy

          • dmgalpha
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 28 10:45 PM
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Crawford <yahoo@...> wrote:

              > Alex wrote:
              > > I bought one from fotodiox.com and it's great! Used mostly with a
              > > Micro-Nikkor
              > > on my 400D for extremely sharp closeups of small items.
              > > No focus confirmation though. Apparently if you search eBay there are
              > > versions of the adapter which have attached a small contact assembly,
              > > and some
              > > electronics, whereby the AF indicator displays when proper focus is
              > > achieved.
              > > To my knowledge there are no adapters allowing AF as such with Nikkor
              > > lenses on EOS bodies.
              > > Alex
              >
              > I second the recommendation for the fotodiox adapter. I am using one
              > with the Nikon 10.5mm on my Canon Rebel XT and, it is working well.
              >
              > If I understand correctly, you are unlikely to see an adapter that will
              > allow Nikon lenses to auto focus on Canon cameras, barring a major
              > development in making motor miniaturization. I believe Canon uses an
              > electronic connection between the lens and body to drive a motor in the
              > lens, while Nikon uses a gear system to focus their lenses from a motor
              > in the body.

              I believe the original poster was referring to focus confirmation,
              which these adapters do not give.

              There is a M42 adapter known as the dandelion that provides focus
              confirmation.

              In the case of the 10.5 this is not a problem. The lens focuses sharp
              from 1 would say 1m to infinity at approximately F8.

              Has anybody tried the manual focusing screens from Canon? They can be
              mounted on the series 1, 3, 5, and I have seen hacks to make them fit
              in a 20d.

              dmg
            • JD Smith
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
                On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:52:46 -0700, Andrew Crawford wrote:

                > If I understand correctly, you are unlikely to see an adapter that will
                > allow Nikon lenses to auto focus on Canon cameras, barring a major
                > development in making motor miniaturization. I believe Canon uses an
                > electronic connection between the lens and body to drive a motor in the
                > lens, while Nikon uses a gear system to focus their lenses from a motor
                > in the body.

                Actually, very few Nikon lenses still use this in-body drive system;
                most have their own focus motors which are addressed electronically.
                Only a few currently produced lenses do, the widely regarded 50mm f1.8
                and the 10.5mm fisheye among them. Their newest consumer camera
                completely lacks the body drive. Lenses where focus isn't a priority
                (such as this one, with its huge depth of field), often omit the motor
                to save space and price.

                JD
              • tflyfish2002
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
                  If you search ebay, or my post a few days ago you will see that there
                  is a adapter that does give focus confirmation, it works well with my
                  1Ds and the 10.5. I guess you might not need it if you lock the focus
                  ring in place, but it is very easy to move it when taking the photo's.

                  Bazzer