Nikon/Canon ring ...

  • stuart mcalister
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
      Folks,

      If I really must invest in a Nikkor 10,5mm then I'll
      need a mounting ring for my Canon 5D.

      Apparently they're available on the net. Has anyone
      any experience with finding/buying one from a virtual
      supplier ... any recommendations?

      Thanks for your time,

      Stuart

    • Alex
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
        I bought one from fotodiox.com and it's great! Used mostly with a Micro-Nikkor
        on my 400D for extremely sharp closeups of small items.
        No focus confirmation though. Apparently if you search eBay there are
        versions of the adapter which have attached a small contact assembly, and some
        electronics, whereby the AF indicator displays when proper focus is achieved.
        To my knowledge there are no adapters allowing AF as such with Nikkor lenses on EOS bodies.
        Alex

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, stuart mcalister
          <strtmcalister@...> wrote:

          > Folks,
          >
          > If I really must invest in a Nikkor 10,5mm then I'll
          > need a mounting ring for my Canon 5D.
          >
          > Apparently they're available on the net. Has anyone
          > any experience with finding/buying one from a virtual
          > supplier ... any recommendations?
          >
          > Thanks for your time,
          >
          > Stuart

          Novoflex: works great, well built (I don't have a 5d, but it works
          well in a EOS 3 and ElanIIe).

          Adorama: No problems in years of buying from them.

          dmg
        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
            This is also true for the higher end novoflex.

            As has been said before.. Find out what your focus should be in several
            photographic tests, then either notate it or tape the whole sucker down with
            tape and forget about it.

            Sacha Griffin
            Southern Digital Solutions LLC
            www.southern-digital.com
            www.seeit360.net
            www.ezphotosafe.com
            404-551-4275
            404-731-7798

            _____

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
              Alex wrote:
              > I bought one from fotodiox.com and it's great! Used mostly with a
              > Micro-Nikkor
              > on my 400D for extremely sharp closeups of small items.
              > No focus confirmation though. Apparently if you search eBay there are
              > versions of the adapter which have attached a small contact assembly,
              > and some
              > electronics, whereby the AF indicator displays when proper focus is
              > achieved.
              > To my knowledge there are no adapters allowing AF as such with Nikkor
              > lenses on EOS bodies.
              > Alex

              I second the recommendation for the fotodiox adapter. I am using one
              with the Nikon 10.5mm on my Canon Rebel XT and, it is working well.

              If I understand correctly, you are unlikely to see an adapter that will
              allow Nikon lenses to auto focus on Canon cameras, barring a major
              development in making motor miniaturization. I believe Canon uses an
              electronic connection between the lens and body to drive a motor in the
              lens, while Nikon uses a gear system to focus their lenses from a motor
              in the body.

              There was a recent discussion here about creating a little piece of
              metal to prop the aperture open to different typical settings. It might
              be worth looking for that thread.

              If you are braver about making modifications to your equipment, Michel
              Thoby created a tutorial for modifying the adapter to adjust the
              aperture by rotating the lens:

              http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Adaptateur_EOS_Nikon/Instal_a_manual-Stop_setting_on_the_Nik-EOS_adapter.html

              Andrew Crawford
            • Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
                Andrew Crawford-2 wrote:

                > Alex wrote:
                >> I bought one from fotodiox.com and it's great!
                > I second the recommendation for the fotodiox adapter.

                I third it :-) I have been using one for almost a year now with no problem
                at all.

                zbooy

              • dmgalpha
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Crawford <yahoo@...> wrote:

                  > Alex wrote:
                  > > I bought one from fotodiox.com and it's great! Used mostly with a
                  > > Micro-Nikkor
                  > > on my 400D for extremely sharp closeups of small items.
                  > > No focus confirmation though. Apparently if you search eBay there are
                  > > versions of the adapter which have attached a small contact assembly,
                  > > and some
                  > > electronics, whereby the AF indicator displays when proper focus is
                  > > achieved.
                  > > To my knowledge there are no adapters allowing AF as such with Nikkor
                  > > lenses on EOS bodies.
                  > > Alex
                  >
                  > I second the recommendation for the fotodiox adapter. I am using one
                  > with the Nikon 10.5mm on my Canon Rebel XT and, it is working well.
                  >
                  > If I understand correctly, you are unlikely to see an adapter that will
                  > allow Nikon lenses to auto focus on Canon cameras, barring a major
                  > development in making motor miniaturization. I believe Canon uses an
                  > electronic connection between the lens and body to drive a motor in the
                  > lens, while Nikon uses a gear system to focus their lenses from a motor
                  > in the body.

                  I believe the original poster was referring to focus confirmation,
                  which these adapters do not give.

                  There is a M42 adapter known as the dandelion that provides focus
                  confirmation.

                  In the case of the 10.5 this is not a problem. The lens focuses sharp
                  from 1 would say 1m to infinity at approximately F8.

                  Has anybody tried the manual focusing screens from Canon? They can be
                  mounted on the series 1, 3, 5, and I have seen hacks to make them fit
                  in a 20d.

                  dmg
                • JD Smith
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
                    On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:52:46 -0700, Andrew Crawford wrote:

                    > If I understand correctly, you are unlikely to see an adapter that will
                    > allow Nikon lenses to auto focus on Canon cameras, barring a major
                    > development in making motor miniaturization. I believe Canon uses an
                    > electronic connection between the lens and body to drive a motor in the
                    > lens, while Nikon uses a gear system to focus their lenses from a motor
                    > in the body.

                    Actually, very few Nikon lenses still use this in-body drive system;
                    most have their own focus motors which are addressed electronically.
                    Only a few currently produced lenses do, the widely regarded 50mm f1.8
                    and the 10.5mm fisheye among them. Their newest consumer camera
                    completely lacks the body drive. Lenses where focus isn't a priority
                    (such as this one, with its huge depth of field), often omit the motor
                    to save space and price.

                    JD
                  • tflyfish2002
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
                      If you search ebay, or my post a few days ago you will see that there
                      is a adapter that does give focus confirmation, it works well with my
                      1Ds and the 10.5. I guess you might not need it if you lock the focus
                      ring in place, but it is very easy to move it when taking the photo's.

                      Bazzer