Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Beautiful Panoramas: Turkey Cinemascope

  • Yuval Levy
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 28, 2007
      Roger D. Williams wrote:
      > On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 19:02:51 +0900, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Beautiful Photography
      >> but not panoramic photography.
      >
      > Ah, Hans. I am interested to find that someone whom I respect so much
      > for the beauty of his panoramas has such a narrow definition of the
      > word "panorama."

      It's the author himself that calls these "cinemascope" and I agree with
      Hans.

      To me, "spherical panoramas" is 360x180

      "Panoramas" is 360x (anything), as intended by Robert Barker, the
      original panorama maker
      <http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-pan3.htm>
      <http://www.edvec.ed.ac.uk/html/projects/panorama/index.html>

      It is not the aspect ratio that counts - 1:1 aspect ratios such as
      <http://www.photopla.net/060826boston/planetmid/45c.png>
      are as much panoramas to me as 1:4 aspect ratios of the four 90HFOV
      cubefaces put side by side as in
      <http://www.photopla.net/060826boston/spiv1024/45c.jpg> (ignore the two
      rightmost cubefaces, though even as a 1:6 aspect ratio it is a viable
      panorama).

      anything with less than 360HFOV is something else. I like the word
      "cinescope" used by Nuri Bilge Ceylan.

      > I personally call stitched panoramas "spherical panoramas."

      panoramas can be stitched or not (slit cameras / one shot mirrors).
      Stitching is just one technique to produce panoramas.

      Yuv

      --
      Copyright (c) 2007 Yuval Levy
      Verbatim copying and distribution on other medium than YahooGroup
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 28, 2007
        On Tue 27-Feb-2007 at 07:37 -0000, dmgalpha wrote:

        > I envy those in London and NY City. They can experience exhibits that
        > never reach our cities.
        >
        > I strongly urge those in London to visit the exhibit of Nuri Bilge
        > Ceylan. His work is currently displayed at the National Theatre.
        >
        > http://www.nuribilgeceylan.com/

        I was in London today and had a look in. The pictures are beautiful
        and no disappointment.

        Some of them are heavily 'worked', but actually the ones I liked
        most _are_ the real paste-up jobs. A few are stitched, but there
        was no panotools involved, they are just carefully lined-up and
        retouched.

        > We, as panophotographers, can certainly learn from him.

        The other thing to learn is that hanging a picture four feet above the
        floor is just wrong.

        --
        Bruno