Explore Oman - preview of website

  • William Donelson
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 26, 2007
      Hello all -

      I've now got up a preliminary website for our: Explore Oman

      http://www.explore-oman.net

      Let me know what you think. This is all based on Fulvio Senore's version of PTviewer, with
      some extensions he put in for us (which we will share, of course).

      You can see all the panos we shot and processed, but were not chosen at -

      http://www.explore-oman.net/all.htm

      Cheers
      William
    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 26, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "William Donelson" <wd@...> wrote:

        > Hello all -
        >
        > I've now got up a preliminary website for our: Explore Oman
        >
        > http://www.explore-oman.net

        Something is very very wrong.
        The google ads flicker with a speed so fast that you can not even read them.
        I believe it must be your frame sniffer.
        Remember that google ads are iFrames.

        I checked both Safari and Firefox.

        Hans

        > Let me know what you think. This is all based on Fulvio Senore's version of PTviewer,
        with
        > some extensions he put in for us (which we will share, of course).
        >
        > You can see all the panos we shot and processed, but were not chosen at -
        >
        > http://www.explore-oman.net/all.htm
      • hmmsomethingelse
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 26, 2007
          > Something is very very wrong.
          > The google ads flicker with a speed so fast that you can not even
          read them.

          ditto
        • William Donelson
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 26, 2007
            Whoops. Don't know what was wrong, so I've removed the Google ads for now.

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "hmmsomethingelse" <hmmsomethingelse@...>
            wrote:

            > > Something is very very wrong.
            > > The google ads flicker with a speed so fast that you can not even
            > read them.
            >
            > ditto

          • Mark D. Fink
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 26, 2007
              Hi William,

              I'm seeing some definite banding in the sky, particularly in Blaid Seit,
              Mughsayl Beach, Mazara Al Luban, and Muscat Harbour & Palace. This is
              tru for both the Large and Medium panos. My system is set to 32 bit
              color using IE 6.0 on a WinXP Pro system.

              Mark

              www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>

              www.northernlight.net <http://www.northernlight.net/>

              I've now got up a preliminary website for our: Explore Oman

              http://www.explore- <http://www.explore-oman.net> oman.net

              Let me know what you think. This is all based on Fulvio Senore's version
              of PTviewer, with
              some extensions he put in for us (which we will share, of course).

              You can see all the panos we shot and processed, but were not chosen at
              -

              http://www.explore- <http://www.explore-oman.net/all.htm>
              oman.net/all.htm

              Cheers
              William

            • William Donelson
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 26, 2007
                Yes, there is some banding in the source pictures.

                It may be an artifact of scanning & film-noise-removal from the 220 format we use.

                I selected the "Sky" and then repeatedly blurred it. Perhaps this is an artifact of Photoshop
                CS2 ?

                William

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mark D. Fink" <markdfink@...> wrote:

                > Hi William,
                >

                > I'm seeing some definite banding in the sky, particularly in Blaid Seit,
                > Mughsayl Beach, Mazara Al Luban, and Muscat Harbour & Palace. This is
                > tru for both the Large and Medium panos. My system is set to 32 bit
                > color using IE 6.0 on a WinXP Pro system.
                >

                > Mark
                >
                > www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>
                >
                > www.northernlight.net <http://www.northernlight.net/>

              • Sacha Griffin
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 26, 2007
                  If you had blurred it, that would be the jpg compression kicking in.

                  To achieve the same affect without the banding, you'll need a jpg compressor
                  where you can control which areas get compressed.

                  Sacha Griffin
                  Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                  www.southern-digital.com
                  www.seeit360.net
                  www.ezphotosafe.com
                  404-551-4275
                  404-731-7798

                  _____

                  "Mark D. Fink" <markdfink@...> wrote:

                  > Hi William,
                  >

                  > I'm seeing some definite banding in the sky, particularly in Blaid Seit,
                  > Mughsayl Beach, Mazara Al Luban, and Muscat Harbour & Palace. This is
                  > tru for both the Large and Medium panos. My system is set to 32 bit
                  > color using IE 6.0 on a WinXP Pro system.
                  >

                  > Mark
                  >
                  > www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>
                  -vr.com/>

                  > www.northernlight.net <http://www.northern <http://www.northernlight.net/>
                  light.net/>

                • William Donelson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 27, 2007
                    Hmmm...

                    I used Fulvio's tools to split the very large panos up into slices, so his code does the Jpeg
                    compression (on a Windows XP SP2 PC)

                    William

                    > If you had blurred it, that would be the jpg compression kicking in.
                    >
                    > To achieve the same affect without the banding, you'll need a jpg compressor
                    > where you can control which areas get compressed.
                    >

                    > Sacha Griffin
                    > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                    > www.southern-digital.com
                    > www.seeit360.net
                    > www.ezphotosafe.com
                    > 404-551-4275
                    > 404-731-7798

                  • Andrew Nemeth
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 27, 2007
                      On 27 Feb 2007, at 18:18, "William Donelson" wrote:

                      > I've now got up a preliminary website for our: Explore Oman
                      >
                      > <http://www.explore-oman.net>
                      >
                      > Let me know what you think. [snip]

                      Have you thought of using a GoogleMaps interface for navigation? The
                      current map on your main page isn't very informative.

                      FWIW see how I use it on my site at (for example)
                      <http://4020.net/bmvr/>

                      1. Click on any thumbnail to view a panorama
                      2. Click on the GPS Location link under the QTVR
                      3. Explore the GoogleMaps interface - zoom out to see all the nodes,
                      click on a node to get a speech-bubble preview with thumbnail etc.

                      For my site I haven't used the GM interface up-front as I didn't want
                      to tie the site's navigation to Google, but I think it would work for
                      your project.

                      Just an idea - not a flame!

                      Regds,

                      Andrew N.
                      <http://nemeng.com>
                      Blue Mountains Australia
                    • William Donelson
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 27, 2007
                        That's a nice idea, but does not fit with our planned interface...

                        William