Fullscreen panoramas with Nikon FC-E9

  • Adrian Catana
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2007
      Hi all,

      This is my first post, I am new to panoramic
      photography, I am trying to decide on my
      first panoramic equipment and I want to know
      if a solution based on:

      Nikon FC-E9 + COOLPIX 5400/5700/8700/8800

      is good enought to generate panoramas that
      will be displayed in fullscreen on an average
      1024 x 768 monitor (I do not want to get
      super quality, just a decent fullscreen image).

      Does anybody have any fullscreen examples
      made with Nikon FC-E9 in combination with any
      coolpix camera that could help me to decide if this is
      the right solution for me?

      Thank you,
      Adrian Catana
    • hmmsomethingelse
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 26, 2007
        Just but barely, it all get a bit glassy.

        http://timhatch.com/projects/wwp-equipment/

        has lists of all the equipment used in the world wide panorama events
        so you can nose through and find the fc-e9 examples. Most have a full
        screen.

        http://www.bophoto.com click on the panorama bracket section and you
        can see him attatch the fc-e9 to a variety of cameras such as the
        canon g7. His panorama example page has a few fullscreens as well.

        Generally people reckon coolpix quality peaked with the fc-e8 and
        coolpix 5000 (or 8400) camera combination and the fc-e9 lens for newer
        cameras was a step back. Though if you put enough pixels through it
        and get the settings just right its ok.

        For the price of a hard to get 8400 coolpix and lens you might be able
        to get an old canon 350 and a peleng lens or something if you were
        lucky for just a little more which would give you much nicer panoramas.
      • conanthedestroya222
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 26, 2007
          Hi,

          It wasn't on your list but I have the CP 8400 (8mp) with the adapter
          and FC-E9 on the end. A fair amount of the panoramas I have on

          http://www.virtualkingston.ca/fullscreen.htm

          offer views in full screen. I'm personally not happy with them. I
          feel that there's not enough detail and look too soft to be of true
          full screen quality as seen elsewhere, even on a regular laptop
          screen.

          Most of the time, sharpening the 6000 X 3000 equirectangular image
          in Photoshop seems to make it look worse so settle for the softer
          look. The move seems to be towards larger monitors and I have a 20
          inch widescreen but my full screens look crap on it if the filesize
          is under 2mb. I haven't really seen any good quality fullscreens
          with the set up you were thinking of. 500 X 400 viewer is excellent
          though.

          Perhaps I'm starting to get too fussy about the quality but then you
          probably will when you see other peoples good work!

          It's all down to money but I'm going for the Nikon D80 with the
          Nikkor 10.5mm as that seems to be popular.

          Hope this helps

          Andrew