Transfer of ownership

  • Mark Fink
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 23, 2007
      Now that we have created the structure for a legal entity, (the
      Verein), to represent the PanoToolsNG list, we need to have a poll
      of the NG membership to officially transfer ownership to the Verein.
      As a refresher, the By Laws for the Verein can be found here -
      http://wiki.panotools.org/Panotools_Bylaws. This is the final step
      in securing the future of PanoToolsNG by placing it in the hands of
      an organization rather than one or two people. We don't want to go
      through last Fall's unpleasantness again.

      The day to day working of the PanoToolsNG list will continue without
      any changes. What will change is the tools at hand for the current
      moderator/owners as we work to maintain and protect this list. By
      voting Yes to the poll, you will give the Verein the ability to
      better protect the use of your emails, assuring that they are not
      hijacked by other entities.

      The poll will go up early next week. Please take the time to read
      over the By Laws and be sure to vote. If you have any questions on
      the meaning or intent behind the By Laws, we have an excellent list
      that spent several months constructing these By Laws. You can post
      your questions there by joining
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Panotools-List/.

      Sincerely,

      The Moderators
    • William Donelson
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 23, 2007
        Thanks.

        Here's a question: Can we also migrate to a better forum system? This one is terrible.

        William

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Fink" <markdfink@...> wrote:

        > Now that we have created the structure for a legal entity, (the
        > Verein), to represent the PanoToolsNG list, we need to have a poll
        > of the NG membership to officially transfer ownership to the Verein.
        > As a refresher, the By Laws for the Verein can be found here -
        > http://wiki.panotools.org/Panotools_Bylaws. This is the final step
        > in securing the future of PanoToolsNG by placing it in the hands of
        > an organization rather than one or two people. We don't want to go
        > through last Fall's unpleasantness again.
        >
        > The day to day working of the PanoToolsNG list will continue without
        > any changes. What will change is the tools at hand for the current
        > moderator/owners as we work to maintain and protect this list. By
        > voting Yes to the poll, you will give the Verein the ability to
        > better protect the use of your emails, assuring that they are not
        > hijacked by other entities.
        >
        > The poll will go up early next week. Please take the time to read
        > over the By Laws and be sure to vote. If you have any questions on
        > the meaning or intent behind the By Laws, we have an excellent list
        > that spent several months constructing these By Laws. You can post
        > your questions there by joining
        > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Panotools-List/.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        >
        > The Moderators

      • Mark D. Fink
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 23, 2007
          William,

          Perfectly valid question. I would suggest posting that to the PanoTools
          -List group for further discussion.

          Thanks,

          Mark

          www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>

          www.northernlight.net <http://www.northernlight.net/>

          --- In PanoToolsNG@ <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 23, 2007
            On Friday, February 23, 2007 at 22:56, William Donelson wrote:

            > Here's a question: Can we also migrate to a better forum system? This one is terrible.

            This is no forum, it's a mailing list. You can use a mail reader to
            to participate - which can be as convenient as you want if you put a
            little effort in configuring your favourite reader or choose an
            appropriate one.

            If you don't want to you can use an NNTP (usenet) reader which often
            gives you better threaded view and better filtering possibilities
            than a mail reader. Just point it to news.panotools.org (you'd have
            to configure it to post per mail since the NNTP server currently is
            read only). Or you use threaded view on nabble:
            http://www.nabble.com/PanoToolsNG-f15658.html

            We where through the discussion whether to put this list on a web
            forum last year and the conclusion was not to do it. Several regular
            contributors (me included) don't like web forums and probably won't
            participate much there.

            This discussion is off topic here (on PanotoolsNG) BTW. Hence this
            answer is cross posted to Panotools-List (where it is on topic).
            Please join and discuss there:

            best regards
            http://www.erik-krause.de/
          • William Donelson
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 24, 2007
              Erik

              This Yahoo thing is a pain, even if you use a human to organize it for you.

              How about a real forum, like those provided by vBulletin or phpBB ?

              Thanks
              William