Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: strange artifact

  • listmail@mab3d.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 22, 2007
      On Feb 21, 2007, at 12:49 AM, greg downing wrote:

      >>> Anyone ever get an artifact like this?
      >>> http://www.gregdowning.com/sf_artifact.jpg
      >> I'm guessing you have fallen victim to this:
      >> http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00IvZy<http://
      >> photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00IvZy>
      >
      > I was shooting from corona heights park in SF. There are no cell or
      > other
      > radio towers on that peak. I shot at 160 ISO so it shouldn't be too
      > noisy. I
      > also shot some images that afternoon w/ a 20mm lens and these
      > images do not
      > have the strange artifact.

      It is odd, but the second reply in that thread I linked to did say
      "other people have reported this with the 5D and IS lenses." No idea
      where those other people are saying this, and searching DPReview or
      other forums is an exercise in frustration trying to filter the FUD
      from the actual content. I can also imagine that you had IS "off"
      when you were shooting, especially if you were using a PR HD head or
      something similar. As for RF or other radiation interference, I must
      admit that I've personally shot photos (and panos) *inside* particle
      accelerators with no ill effects, but then I wasn't using a 5D or an
      IS lens.

      -Mark