Twin 5D/10.5 Nikkor

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 6, 2007
      Ive put together another 5D/10.5mm outfit -- mainly for stereo
      panoramas (there are some advantages/disadvantages for twin cameras
      for stereo panoramas -- motion subjects are easier, lighting can be
      more consistent, for example but there isnt the possibility for
      instance of arbitrarily varying the disparity after the shooting --
      for multiview generation eg. - as with some single camera methods).

      --- but also for regular stereo photography and 360 time lapse.

      Sync between two Canon5Ds seems good
      I think for most 360 timelapse subjects I wont need SLR Shepherd
      http://www.berezin.com/3d/slr_shepherd.htm

      For timelapse I made a timer which fires pulses to both cameras
      simultaneously at 0.4 sec intervals. I could just have used the
      continuous mode of both cameras but I thought they might get out of
      sync after a bit.

      Ive built a prototype camera rig which positions the lenses as close
      as possible
      http://www.mediavr.com/twinrig1.jpg --- on a pole the parallax will
      be acceptable for video purposes I think
      -- here is a test frame
      http://www.mediavr.com/twintest1.jpg
      The lenses still need a bit more trimming to remove the vignetting
      artefacts.

      Cropped maximum vertical coverage is about 113 degrees.

      Peter Murphy
      http://www.mediavr.com/blog
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 4, 2007
        Here is a a short timelapse sequence with my twin 5D/10.5mm Nikkor rig
        http://www.mediavr.com/ital1.htm
        (Shockwave, 8meg)
        You can see that it is possible to have pretty invisible overlap
        zones using the very periphery of the 10.5mm coverage
        (this is about f8) -- I use a Photoshop selection to brighten the
        edges prior to stitching.

        Parallax errors are pretty obvious for detail closer than 3m so it is
        important to orient the camera assembly so the overlap scene zones
        have no
        elements close to the camera(s).

        I made a timer that fires both cameras together at about 2.5fps. Plus
        I have adapted a regular Canon release with time lapse functions to
        fire both cameras too - the Canon release wont do faster than 1fps
        though. At 2.5 fps and Medium res - High JPG quality, the cameras
        will stay in sync for about 140 frames. I will have to try other
        size, quality settings to see if I can extend that sync capability
        for the 2.5 fps setting.

        Peter
        http://www.mediavr.com/blog

        > Ive put together another 5D/10.5mm outfit -- mainly for stereo
        > panoramas (there are some advantages/disadvantages for twin cameras
        > for stereo panoramas -- motion subjects are easier, lighting can be
        > more consistent, for example but there isnt the possibility for
        > instance of arbitrarily varying the disparity after the shooting --
        > for multiview generation eg. - as with some single camera methods).
        >
        > --- but also for regular stereo photography and 360 time lapse.
        >
        > Sync between two Canon5Ds seems good
        > I think for most 360 timelapse subjects I wont need SLR Shepherd
        > http://www.berezin.com/3d/slr_shepherd.htm
        >
        > For timelapse I made a timer which fires pulses to both cameras
        > simultaneously at 0.4 sec intervals. I could just have used the
        > continuous mode of both cameras but I thought they might get out of
        > sync after a bit.
        >
        > Ive built a prototype camera rig which positions the lenses as
        close
        > as possible
        > http://www.mediavr.com/twinrig1.jpg --- on a pole the parallax will
        > be acceptable for video purposes I think
        > -- here is a test frame
        > http://www.mediavr.com/twintest1.jpg
        > The lenses still need a bit more trimming to remove the vignetting
        > artefacts.
        >
        > Cropped maximum vertical coverage is about 113 degrees.
        >
        > Peter Murphy
        > http://www.mediavr.com/blog

      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 4, 2007
          Neat, but it'd be the cats meow if you could author this in devalvr or
          flashpanoramas so we can see the corrected perspective.

          Sacha Griffin
          Southern Digital Solutions LLC
          www.southern-digital.com
          www.seeit360.net
          www.ezphotosafe.com
          404-551-4275
          404-731-7798

          _____

          Here is a a short timelapse sequence with my twin 5D/10.5mm Nikkor rig
          http://www.mediavr <http://www.mediavr.com/ital1.htm> com/ital1.htm

          http://www.mediavr <http://www.mediavr.com/blog> com/blog

          "panovrx" <mediavr@...> wrote:

          > Ive put together another 5D/10.5mm outfit -- mainly for stereo
          > panoramas (there are some advantages/disadvantages for twin cameras
          > for stereo panoramas -- motion subjects are easier, lighting can be
          > more consistent, for example but there isnt the possibility for
          > instance of arbitrarily varying the disparity after the shooting --
          > for multiview generation eg. - as with some single camera methods).
          >
          > --- but also for regular stereo photography and 360 time lapse.
          >
          > Sync between two Canon5Ds seems good
          > I think for most 360 timelapse subjects I wont need SLR Shepherd
          > http://www.berezin <http://www.berezin.com/3d/slr_shepherd.htm>
          com/3d/slr_shepherd.htm

          > For timelapse I made a timer which fires pulses to both cameras
          > simultaneously at 0.4 sec intervals. I could just have used the
          > continuous mode of both cameras but I thought they might get out of
          > sync after a bit.
          >
          > Ive built a prototype camera rig which positions the lenses as
          close
          > as possible
          > http://www.mediavr <http://www.mediavr.com/twinrig1.jpg> com/twinrig1.jpg
          --- on a pole the parallax will
          > be acceptable for video purposes I think
          > -- here is a test frame
          > http://www.mediavr <http://www.mediavr.com/twintest1.jpg>
          com/twintest1.jpg
          > The lenses still need a bit more trimming to remove the vignetting
          > artefacts.
          >
          > Cropped maximum vertical coverage is about 113 degrees.
          >
          > Peter Murphy
          > http://www.mediavr <http://www.mediavr.com/blog> com/blog

        • Pat Swovelin
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 4, 2007
            panovrx wrote:
            > Here is a a short timelapse sequence with my twin 5D/10.5mm Nikkor rig
            > http://www.mediavr.com/ital1.htm
            > (Shockwave, 8meg)

            *Great* stuff, Peter. I see it as a cylindrical pano that's opened up
            as a wide flat pano, is that how it's supposed to be viewed (vs. as a
            cylindrical or spherical pano)? What's the shooting time duration (is
            it 140 frames over 2.5/sec)? What's the playback speed?

            Pat Swovelin
            Cool Guy @ Large
          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 4, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin" <sachagriffin@...>
              wrote:

              > Neat, but it'd be the cats meow if you could author this in devalvr or
              > flashpanoramas so we can see the corrected perspective.

              I wish there was a 3d accelerated video pano viewer. Web3d things like
              DX Studio or BSContact could do it but they are not ideal in various
              ways -- the problem is simpler if you just want to deal with
              cylindrical video panos -- which most are. So you can just wrap your
              video texture to a cylinder.

              Peter

              > Here is a a short timelapse sequence with my twin 5D/10.5mm Nikkor rig
              > http://www.mediavr <http://www.mediavr.com/ital1.htm> com/ital1.htm
              > (Shockwave, 8meg)
              > You can see that it is possible to have pretty invisible overlap
              > zones using the very periphery of the 10.5mm coverage
              > (this is about f8)
            • Guillaume Fulchiron
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 5, 2007
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:

                > panovrx wrote:
                > > Here is a a short timelapse sequence with my twin 5D/10.5mm Nikkor rig
                > > http://www.mediavr.com/ital1.htm
                > > (Shockwave, 8meg)
                >
                > *Great* stuff, Peter. I see it as a cylindrical pano that's opened up
                > as a wide flat pano, is that how it's supposed to be viewed (vs. as a
                > cylindrical or spherical pano)? What's the shooting time duration (is
                > it 140 frames over 2.5/sec)? What's the playback speed?

                As I understand Peter, the Canon 5D is able to shoot continuously @
                2.5 fps until 140 frames in high jpeg quality. For me it's a 56
                seconds duration shoot. Heh, am I a good calculator ? ;-)

                I'd like to watch the pano in a more interactive way.
                See D. Gliksman experimental spriteoramas :
                http://www.la-grange-numerique.com/spriteoramas/index.html

                G.
              • panovrx
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 5, 2007
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Guillaume Fulchiron"
                  <guillaume.fulchiron@...> wrote:

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > panovrx wrote:
                  > > > Here is a a short timelapse sequence with my twin 5D/10.5mm
                  Nikkor rig
                  > > > http://www.mediavr.com/ital1.htm
                  > > > (Shockwave, 8meg)
                  > >
                  > > As I understand Peter, the Canon 5D is able to shoot continuously
                  @
                  > 2.5 fps until 140 frames in high jpeg quality. For me it's a 56
                  > seconds duration shoot. Heh, am I a good calculator ? ;-)

                  It is actually 60 shots at 2.5fps = 24 seconds of filming

                  140 shots is how long my two Canon 5Ds stay in sync (fire at the same
                  moment) when shooting continuously at 2.5fps

                  A single Canon 5D will fire continuously at 3 fps normally forever
                  (until the card fills up) ...it is the sync issue which is
                  problematic for 2 shot time lapse movies (or stereo)

                  I made it in Shockwave just as a simple way to make it loop - it is
                  meant to look uncorrected -- I think seeing the whole crowd in a
                  single view is interesting in time lapse mode

                  Peter

                  Peter
                • Bernhard Vogl
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 5, 2007
                    > I think seeing the whole crowd in a
                    > single view is interesting in time lapse mode

                    It is - definitely!

                    I think i haven't read about how you accomplished batch stitching. Did you (re-) write stitching scripts with an automated method?

                    Best regards
                    Bernhard
                  • Luca Vascon
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 5, 2007
                      :-)
                      It is the same secret I'd like to know...
                      I thought a "print together" with openoffice could work but...
                      ...I'm not able to!!!

                      >> single view is interesting in time lapse mode
                      >
                      > It is - definitely!
                      >
                      > I think i haven't read about how you accomplished batch stitching. Did you
                      > (re-) write stitching scripts with an automated method?
                      >
                      > Best regards
                      > Bernhard

                    • panovrx
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 5, 2007
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Bernhard Vogl" <bvogl@...> wrote:

                        > I think i haven't read about how you accomplished batch stitching.
                        Did you (re-) write stitching scripts with an automated method?

                        > Best regards
                        > Bernhard

                        Yes ... For stitching I used a roundabout method with PTGui batch
                        stitcher. ie. rename the images of a sequence 001.jpg, 002.jpg
                        etc ... create a folder structure with
                        folders "frontcameraimages" "backcameraimages" "templates" "output",
                        stitch one pair, save as a PTGui project file (*.pts), duplicate with
                        incrementing file names, and image reference a few hundred times and
                        save in the "templates" folder. Put the images in the appropriate
                        folders. Stitch with batch stitcher using as many pts files as necessary

                        It was not straightforward with PTGui, or PTools Optimizer to calibrate
                        such slightly overlapping extreme periphery images. It is necessary to
                        keep the known lens factors as fixed values, and elimate dodgy control
                        points carefully, I think.
                        Peter
                      • Sacha Griffin
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 5, 2007
                          Remember the waveland 360 video panorama?

                          It was a cylinder, but.. did the viewer support 360x90? You'll have to ask
                          fiero.. or make a swf and try it against the script.

                          Sacha Griffin
                          www.southern-digital.com
                          www.seeit360.net
                          www.ezphotosafe.com
                          404-551-4275
                          404-731-7798

                          _____

                          <http://www.mediavr.com/ital1.htm> com/ital1.htm> com/ital1.htm
                          > (Shockwave, 8meg)
                          > You can see that it is possible to have pretty invisible overlap
                          > zones using the very periphery of the 10.5mm coverage
                          > (this is about f8)

                        • Pat Swovelin
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 5, 2007
                            panovrx wrote:
                            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Guillaume Fulchiron"
                            > <guillaume.fulchiron@...> wrote:
                            >> --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@> wrote:
                            > Nikkor rig
                            >>> As I understand Peter, the Canon 5D is able to shoot continuously
                            > @
                            >> 2.5 fps until 140 frames in high jpeg quality. For me it's a 56
                            >> seconds duration shoot. Heh, am I a good calculator ? ;-)
                            >>
                            > It is actually 60 shots at 2.5fps = 24 seconds of filming
                            >
                            > 140 shots is how long my two Canon 5Ds stay in sync (fire at the same
                            > moment) when shooting continuously at 2.5fps
                            >
                            > A single Canon 5D will fire continuously at 3 fps normally forever
                            > (until the card fills up) ...it is the sync issue which is
                            > problematic for 2 shot time lapse movies (or stereo)

                            Because you're controlling the cameras why do they go out of sync?

                            > I made it in Shockwave just as a simple way to make it loop - it is
                            > meant to look uncorrected -- I think seeing the whole crowd in a
                            > single view is interesting in time lapse mode

                            Especially when you start following individual people to see what they
                            do during the course of the move. I especially like the guy who steps
                            out on the balcony and beams up...

                            > Peter

                            Pat Swovelin
                            Cool Guy @ Large
                          • Ian Wood
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 5, 2007
                              On 5 Jun 2007, at 22:38, Pat Swovelin wrote:

                              > Because you're controlling the cameras why do they go out of sync?

                              Because for this the shutter buttons are just held down...

                              Ian
                            • panovrx
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 5, 2007
                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

                                > On 5 Jun 2007, at 22:38, Pat Swovelin wrote:
                                >
                                > > Because you're controlling the cameras why do they go out of sync?
                                >
                                > Because for this the shutter buttons are just held down...
                                >
                                > Ian

                                re twinned 5D time lapse ...
                                no ... the cameras are set to single shot mode and they are fired
                                via linked cables with a simple contact timer I made at 2.5fps ..

                                if you link the cable release sockets of two 5D cameras with joined
                                releases then if you press the shutter button on one, the other will
                                fire too ... in excellent sync. But if you set both cameras to
                                continuous and hold down the shutter on one, both will start to fire
                                off bursts at 3fps and they will get out of sync quickly (like in 20 or
                                30 frames maybe) as one camera fails to keep up with its writing to the
                                other

                                so by having an external timer and setting both cameras to single shot
                                mode and setting the time interval to 2.5fps you are giving both
                                cameras a bit of breathing space for writing and hopefully they will
                                stay synced better ... which they do .. but not forever ... at Med
                                resolution/High quality jpg/2.5 fps anyway

                                Peter
                              • Pat Swovelin
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 5, 2007
                                  panovrx wrote:
                                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> On 5 Jun 2007, at 22:38, Pat Swovelin wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >>> Because you're controlling the cameras why do they go out of sync?
                                  >> Because for this the shutter buttons are just held down...
                                  >>
                                  >> Ian
                                  >>

                                  > re twinned 5D time lapse ...
                                  > no ... the cameras are set to single shot mode and they are fired
                                  > via linked cables with a simple contact timer I made at 2.5fps ..
                                  >
                                  > if you link the cable release sockets of two 5D cameras with joined
                                  > releases then if you press the shutter button on one, the other will
                                  > fire too ... in excellent sync. But if you set both cameras to
                                  > continuous and hold down the shutter on one, both will start to fire
                                  > off bursts at 3fps and they will get out of sync quickly (like in 20 or
                                  > 30 frames maybe) as one camera fails to keep up with its writing to the
                                  > other
                                  >
                                  > so by having an external timer and setting both cameras to single shot
                                  > mode and setting the time interval to 2.5fps you are giving both
                                  > cameras a bit of breathing space for writing and hopefully they will
                                  > stay synced better ... which they do .. but not forever ... at Med
                                  > resolution/High quality jpg/2.5 fps anyway

                                  So the main problem with staying in sync is the write speed of the
                                  cameras? If that's the case is it possible to have them leashed to a
                                  notebook and write directly to that? Then the write speed would be high
                                  enough to allow you to shoot until you're blue in the face. Or by doing
                                  that do you introduce an whole new set of problems?

                                  Just for the record I'm NOT suggesting you do that (I'm not trying to be
                                  a smart ass) I'm only asking if it's technically possible.

                                  > Peter

                                  Pat Swovelin
                                  Cool Guy @ Large
                                • Ian Wood
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 6, 2007
                                    >> re twinned 5D time lapse ...
                                    >> no ... the cameras are set to single shot mode and they are fired
                                    >> via linked cables with a simple contact timer I made at 2.5fps ..

                                    My mistake. Presumably they would stay in sync longer if you slowed
                                    down the fps a bit further?

                                    > So the main problem with staying in sync is the write speed of the
                                    > cameras? If that's the case is it possible to have them leashed to a
                                    > notebook and write directly to that? Then the write speed would be
                                    > high
                                    > enough to allow you to shoot until you're blue in the face.

                                    Even cameras with a FW400 connection are much slower at writing over
                                    a tethered link than they are at writing to card.
                                    Believe me, shooting tethered with a 5D and RAW files or large JPEG
                                    can be a painfully slow experience...

                                    Ian

                                    P.S. In case I haven't already said it - great stuff, Peter!
                                  • panovrx
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 17, 2007
                                      > panovrx wrote:
                                      > > Here is a a short timelapse sequence with my twin 5D/10.5mm Nikkor
                                      rig
                                      > > http://www.mediavr.com/ital1.htm
                                      > > (Shockwave, 8meg)

                                      this is at 2.5 fps

                                      Timelapse fans might be interested in this new timelapse snippet
                                      showing what crowd action looks like at 1 fps -- shot with a single
                                      5D/10.5mm with the Canon intervalometer release
                                      -- cropped to about 140 degree wide - equirectangular

                                      http://www.mediavr.com/dalai.htm
                                      (Shockwave 7 meg)

                                      Peter
                                    • panovrx
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007

                                        > Here is a a short timelapse sequence with my twin 5D/10.5mm Nikkor rig
                                        > http://www.mediavr.com/ital1.htm

                                        > I made a timer that fires both cameras together at about 2.5fps. Plus
                                        > I have adapted a regular Canon release with time lapse functions to
                                        > fire both cameras too - the Canon release wont do faster than 1fps
                                        > though. At 2.5 fps and Medium res - High JPG quality, the cameras
                                        > will stay in sync for about 140 frames. I will have to try other
                                        > size, quality settings to see if I can extend that sync capability
                                        > for the 2.5 fps setting.

                                        Some more experimenting shows that when fired at 2.5fps two 5Ds will
                                        stay in very close sync for at least 400 frames when the quality
                                        setting is reduced to Medium resolution, Low quality Jpeg

                                        I think that if I got a faster pair of CF cards they would stay in sync
                                        indefinitely even at the Medium res, High quality setting. It was
                                        surprise to me to learn btw that the size of card has such a big
                                        inverse influence on Write speed cf:
                                        http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8198
                                        I think I will have to get a couple of ExtremeIV 2 gig. Much faster
                                        than my 4 gig Extreme III cards.

                                        Peter
                                        http://www.mediavr.com/blog