Re: OT: Monitor color calibration

  • dmgalpha
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2007
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:

      > There are reasons that make it impossible to calibrate 2 different
      > monitors to match eath other:
      > - backlight color temperature
      > - monitor gamma and DR
      > - phosphor layer on CRTs
      > - fitness/age of your monitor
      > etc

      True, it is impossible to calibrate two different monitors to be
      identical. But in practical terms it works. What you need is to two
      video cards, so they are driven independently.

      I have a G5 with 3 different displays (a Cinerama 23", a Dell 23" lcd,
      and a Sony 410 CRT). They are all good displays. The Cinerama works
      best in general but the CRT has better detail in shadows.

      When I move images from one to the other they look reasonably identical.

      But Bernhard makes a great point: you don't want a calibrated monitor
      to prepare images that are going to be viewed by the masses. What you
      need is to two fairly common and uncalibrated displays, so you see the
      images the way they are going to be viewed.

      And just to add to the equation... some Web browsers do not support
      ICC profiles. Firefox is one of them, so the last thing you want to do
      is prepare images with a profile such as AdobeRGB.

      For my own site (http://silvernegative.com) I use Generic RGB. I seems
      to work fairly well.

      dmg
      http://turingmachine.org