HDR with moving subjects.

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
      Flash
      http://seeit360.net/panorama.php?id=290&ptype=fl
      Shockwave
      http://seeit360.net/panorama.php?id=290&ptype=sl
      Quicktime
      http://seeit360.net/panorama.php?id=290&ptype=ql

      This one was particularly challenging. Shot late afternoon in mixed light
      wide open at 2.8/100 to capture people sharp.

      I first stitched HDR photos. The result was not pleasing due to abundant
      moving artifacts.
      I then stitched the dark exposure and boosted it, found the differences
      between both and used that to create a mask to remove all the artifacts.

      The aperature is quite evident, and I probably should have used a higher iso
      to keep more of the scene in focus.

      What do y'all think?

      Sacha Griffin
      Southern Digital Solutions LLC
      www.southern-digital.com
      www.seeit360.net
      www.ezphotosafe.com
      404-551-4275
      404-731-7798
    • Pat Swovelin
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
        Sacha Griffin wrote:
        > Flash
        > http://seeit360.net/panorama.php?id=290&ptype=fl
        > Shockwave
        > http://seeit360.net/panorama.php?id=290&ptype=sl
        > Quicktime
        > http://seeit360.net/panorama.php?id=290&ptype=ql
        >

        > This one was particularly challenging. Shot late afternoon in mixed light
        > wide open at 2.8/100 to capture people sharp.
        >
        > I first stitched HDR photos. The result was not pleasing due to abundant
        > moving artifacts.
        > I then stitched the dark exposure and boosted it, found the differences
        > between both and used that to create a mask to remove all the artifacts.
        >
        > The aperature is quite evident, and I probably should have used a
        > higher iso
        > to keep more of the scene in focus.
        >
        > What do y'all think?

        In the QT version in FF2 (Win XP Pro) when I click on the Toggle
        Hot-Spot control the word "Controls" is replaced with "spinControl:VR"
        it stays there when I toggle back. The same thing happens with each of
        the other control buttons (even after reloading the page). The Toggle
        Autospin control is wanky. If you turn it off, move away, hover over
        it, move away and hover over it a 2nd time the pano starts to rotate
        again (even though the control is still disabled). And a couple of
        times when I had it disabled I hovered over the Exit Fullscreen control
        and the pano started to rotate to the right wildly.

        I think it hates me. =8^)

        Be that as it may the pano is great.

        > Sacha Griffin
        > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
        > www.southern-digital.com
        > www.seeit360.net
        > www.ezphotosafe.com
        > 404-551-4275
        > 404-731-7798

        Pat Swovelin
        Cool Guy @ Large
      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
          Hmm,

          I'm going to remove it eventually. It doesn't even show up on most
          computers these days anyway.

          There are no hotspots, and if you engage the autospin, its going to do
          that.. There's already a spin sprite.

          You're just a crazy button presser.

          I could add additional options for autospin, sound looping, hotspot disable
          to my cms, but that's way too much work/time.

          _____

          > This one was particularly challenging. Shot late afternoon in mixed light
          > wide open at 2.8/100 to capture people sharp.
          >
          > I first stitched HDR photos. The result was not pleasing due to abundant
          > moving artifacts.
          > I then stitched the dark exposure and boosted it, found the differences
          > between both and used that to create a mask to remove all the artifacts.
          >
          > The aperature is quite evident, and I probably should have used a
          > higher iso
          > to keep more of the scene in focus.
          >
          > What do y'all think?

          In the QT version in FF2 (Win XP Pro) when I click on the Toggle
          Hot-Spot control the word "Controls" is replaced with "spinControl:VR"
          it stays there when I toggle back. The same thing happens with each of
          the other control buttons (even after reloading the page). The Toggle
          Autospin control is wanky. If you turn it off, move away, hover over
          it, move away and hover over it a 2nd time the pano starts to rotate
          again (even though the control is still disabled). And a couple of
          times when I had it disabled I hovered over the Exit Fullscreen control
          and the pano started to rotate to the right wildly.

          I think it hates me. =8^)

          Be that as it may the pano is great.

          > Sacha Griffin
          > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
          > www.southern-digital.com
          > www.seeit360.net
          > www.ezphotosafe.com
          > 404-551-4275
          > 404-731-7798

          Pat Swovelin
          Cool Guy @ Large

        • Pat Swovelin
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
            Sacha Griffin wrote:
            > Hmm,
            >
            > I'm going to remove it eventually. It doesn't even show up on most
            > computers these days anyway.
            >
            > There are no hotspots, and if you engage the autospin, its going to do
            > that.. There's already a spin sprite.
            >
            > You're just a crazy button presser.

            No I'm not ... but they looked soooo inviting. =8^)

            > I could add additional options for autospin, sound looping, hotspot
            > disable
            > to my cms, but that's way too much work/time.

            I normally don't fiddle with control buttons but I happed to this time
            and thought you might not know about it. But, as usual, you're
            waaaaaaay ahead of me.

            Pat Swovelin
            Cool Guy @ Large
          • Carel
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
              Sacha Griffin wrote:

              > The aperature is quite evident, and I probably should have used a higher
              > iso
              > to keep more of the scene in focus.
              >
              > What do y'all think?
              >
              > Sacha Griffin

              I dont see the focus as a problem. Everything up close is sharp. Only in the
              distance is a very natural drop in sharpness. Not annoying at all.

              I have tried the new Photomatix "ghost removal" (there are two settings,
              labeled: "normal" and "zealous") but got some huge blotchy artifacts. In
              FDRTools one uses "Separation" to remove ghosts. It works interactively so
              you have a instant feedback of what you are changing. FDRTools has been most
              effective for me in removing ghosts. With the "separation" method of
              assembling the HDR, you may force the inclusion of some areas that are too
              noisy (too dark) or too light, so I often have to make two HDRs/tonemapped
              LDRs. This probably still work faster than you method though and involvevs
              less manual masking.

              Carel
            • Sacha Griffin
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
                Thanks. This is exactly how it was done, but I just used photoshop.

                I only need to tweak the masking slightly, manually. The mask was blurred
                and then curved to remove any gradiation, and then blurred again slightly.
                By doing this on the mask with an adjustment, I could tell exactly what
                settings started to create a bad or good one.

                Overall it was quite fast except that the beta photoshop crashed on me about
                4 times.

                I dont see the focus as a problem. Everything up close is sharp. Only in the
                distance is a very natural drop in sharpness. Not annoying at all.

                I have tried the new Photomatix "ghost removal" (there are two settings,
                labeled: "normal" and "zealous") but got some huge blotchy artifacts. In
                FDRTools one uses "Separation" to remove ghosts. It works interactively so
                you have a instant feedback of what you are changing. FDRTools has been most
                effective for me in removing ghosts. With the "separation" method of
                assembling the HDR, you may force the inclusion of some areas that are too
                noisy (too dark) or too light, so I often have to make two HDRs/tonemapped
                LDRs. This probably still work faster than you method though and involvevs
                less manual masking.

                Carel

              • udedomenico
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 4, 2007
                  Sacha,

                  Could you explain in details the mechanism you have used?

                  I find it extremely interesting because I am interested in shooting
                  pics in a moving enviroment...

                  How did you blurred mask and which criteria did you use to curve it?

                  Thanks

                  U.

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin"