hfov for sigma 8mm and nikon d70s

  • maston67
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2007
      Hi

      Does any body konw the exact hfov value (to enter in lens setting
      section of ptgui) for sigma 8mm (F3.5) and nikon d70s (shooting 4
      shots portrait)

      thanks

      Masten
    • John Houghton
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "maston67" <masten7@...> wrote:

        > Does any body konw the exact hfov value (to enter in lens setting
        > section of ptgui) for sigma 8mm (F3.5) and nikon d70s (shooting 4
        > shots portrait)

        The hfov depends on the size of the crop circle that you happen to
        assign. You can initialise the hfov to 180 degrees and then refine it
        by including that parameter for optimization.

        John
      • maston67
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2007
          Hi John

          'You can initialise the hfov to 180 degrees and then refine it
          by including that parameter for optimization.'

          Yeah, I understand that, that's what I normally do. When I set the
          control points it pulls the fov to the best value for that
          particular stitch

          What Im thinking of here is trying to get a reasonable stitch
          without setting control points. And for that I would need
          the 'industry' 'hfov' specification that would be the same for every
          stitch, but it doesnt seem to be available anywhere

          thanks

          Masten

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "maston67" <masten7@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Does any body konw the exact hfov value (to enter in lens
          setting
          > > section of ptgui) for sigma 8mm (F3.5) and nikon d70s (shooting
          4
          > > shots portrait)
          >
          > The hfov depends on the size of the crop circle that you happen to
          > assign. You can initialise the hfov to 180 degrees and then
          refine it
          > by including that parameter for optimization.
          >
          > John

        • John Houghton
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "maston67" <masten7@...> wrote:

            > What Im thinking of here is trying to get a reasonable stitch
            > without setting control points.

            Masten, You will no doubt be calibrating the system to produce a
            template, in which case the hfov will be evaluated as part of the
            process. With care, this should give you the best hfov value for your
            particular purposes.

            John
          • dmgalpha
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007

              > What Im thinking of here is trying to get a reasonable stitch
              > without setting control points. And for that I would need
              > the 'industry' 'hfov' specification that would be the same for every
              > stitch, but it doesnt seem to be available anywhere
              >
              > thanks
              >
              > Masten

              if you really want to make your stitches as automatic as possible then
              you need to calibrate your lens/camera.

              One of the main reasons to do this is to find how much displacement
              your sensor has from the optical centre of the lens. This is
              camera/lens dependent.

              Once you have found your calibration parameters make sure you always
              load your photos in the same orientation with respect to the sensor.

              dmg
              http://turingmachine.org