Re: Some advices for DevalVR users

  • dalileis
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007
      Hi, Fiero

      I used the parameter vramrequired according to your instructions and
      added the parameter: vramrequired=30, aiming to offer hardware
      acceleration smoothness to all using graphic cards with 32 mb or less.
      This is the strongest DevalVR feature, I think.

      All of my panos use less than 30 mb vram, measured with 'Debug->Show
      info' method, at any zoom/FOV.

      The problem:

      Testing it on a Windows XP Pro SP2 machine and GeForce2MX/MX400 (32
      MB) it does not seem to be working correctly. Tested it with 6
      different panos in Explorer and Firefox. The DevalVR version installed
      is the latest one: 0.5.0.0.

      Regards,

      Dalileis

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "fierodeval" <fierodeval@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I write this message here because I think this is important for better
      > user experience with DevalVR pages.
      >
      > Latest versions of DevalVR optimize the VRAM (video memory) required
      > for hardware acceleration. You can see the VRAM used by the panorama
      > in real time if you select 'Debug->Show info' in context menu (right
      > button menu).
      >
      > VRAM used depends of the resolution of the image, the type of panorama
      > (cubic or equirect) and ZOOM value (FOV). Equirect panos are worse
      > than cubic for hardware acceleration, because equirect requires a lot
      > of memory to show zenit and nadir parts (top and bottom of the pano).
      > Cubic panoramas are more continuous in all directions. VRAM amount
      > used is bigger too with a bigger FOV and it's smaller with a smaller
      > FOV. For this reason, it's difficult to calculate the required amount
      > of VRAM automatically, to enable or disable hardware acceleration in a
      > viewer.
      >
      > I created a new parameter 'vramrequired' for DevalVR to specify the
      > exact amount of VRAM required for the displayed panorama.
      >
      > For example, this Andrei Bodrov's panorama
      > http://panorama.ebeling.ee/show/?id=39 requires 20MB of VRAM with
      > default FOV, and not more than 30MB of VRAM if FOV value is smaller
      > than 90. With a similar panorama, a photographer could limit the FOV
      > value to 90 and add the parameter: vramrequired=30 . Then a user with
      > a video card with only 32MB of VRAM could see this pano with hardware
      > acceleration, improving his experience.
      >
      > This parameter can increase the number of users that can see the
      > panorama with hardware acceleration, or it can be used by the author
      > to choose the quality of his images and the minimum requirements (for
      > hardware accel.)
      >
      > best regards
      > fiero

    • fierodeval
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2007
        Hi all,

        --- "Serge Maandag wrote:
        > I hope you can provide some hints to publishers on how to calculate the
        > amount of video RAM required.
        >
        > Serge.

        You can see it in 'Debug->Show info' function, this is the exact
        amount of RAM required (system RAM and Video RAM)

        --- "dalileis" wrote:
        > Testing it on a Windows XP Pro SP2 machine and GeForce2MX/MX400 (32
        > MB) it does not seem to be working correctly. Tested it with 6
        > different panos in Explorer and Firefox. The DevalVR version installed
        > is the latest one: 0.5.0.0.

        Maybe GeForce2MX/MX400 does not support some required features. Can
        you test again this computer? You can download this file
        http://www.devalvr.com/descargas/dps/playerDebug.zip , open any pano,
        close the player and send me the generated TXT file. Then, I can see
        what is the problem with this card.

        regards