Re: [PanoToolsNG] OT: Monitor color calibration

  • Carel
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
      Pat Swovelin-2 wrote:

      > Ingemar Bergmark wrote:
      >> Does anybody have experience with the Spyder2Pro for monitor color
      >> calibration (especially with a LCD flatpanel), or are there other
      >> solutions that will work as good?
      >
      > Yes, and it's great.
      >
      >> Regards,
      >> Ingemar Bergmark
      >> http://panoramas.bergmark.com
      >
      > Pat Swovelin
      > Cool Guy @ Large

      I have been happy with it. Recently I convinced a client in Europe who is
      very picky about color accuracy to buy the SpyderII, but he was not
      impressed because after calibration his two CRT monitors still looked very
      different, with noticably different color shifts. This still leaves us with
      the same problem of discussing colors accross the ocean and apparently
      looking at different color representations.

      carel

    • Robert C. Fisher
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
        I use the Monaco Optix, at the time I purchased it it was the only
        calibrater for LCDs available. Everyone else was just coming to
        market with theirs. It's simple to use and accurate. I have had an
        LCD monitor for 5 years, my first was a Viewsonics 15" very sharp but
        unusable until I profiled it with the Optix calibrator and my current
        is an Apple Cinema Display 23". Very good out of the box but awesome
        once profiled.

        On Feb 2, 2007, at 4:12 AM, Ingemar Bergmark wrote:

        > Does anybody have experience with the Spyder2Pro for monitor color
        > calibration (especially with a LCD flatpanel), or are there other
        > solutions that will work as good?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Ingemar Bergmark
        > http://panoramas.bergmark.com

        Cheers
        Robert C. Fisher
        VR Photography/Cinematography
      • Bernhard Vogl
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2007
          There are reasons that make it impossible to calibrate 2 different
          monitors to match eath other:
          - backlight color temperature
          - monitor gamma and DR
          - phosphor layer on CRTs
          - fitness/age of your monitor
          etc

          To add some personal words about the myth of 2 perfectly calibrated
          monitors. I have an Acer (LCD) and a Samsung (TFT) monitor side by side
          on my desk, and they are like day and night. One has daylight-alike WB
          and a steep gamma curve, the other one is tungsten-alike with a a very
          smooth gamma - like negative film. One won't show you yellow color casts
          in the sky, the other is missing deep shadows.
          I have tried to approximate both monitors using the ColorSpider, but
          this makes things only worse IMHO: besides loosing the advantage of each
          monitor, they'd never match anyway.
          I use both displays to accurately check visual appearance of my photos,
          so that everyone who will watch my panoramas will have roughly the same
          visual impression...

          Bernhard

          > I have been happy with it. Recently I convinced a client in Europe who is
          > very picky about color accuracy to buy the SpyderII, but he was not
          > impressed because after calibration his two CRT monitors still looked very
          > different, with noticably different color shifts. This still leaves us with
          > the same problem of discussing colors accross the ocean and apparently
          > looking at different color representations.

        • dmgalpha
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:

            > There are reasons that make it impossible to calibrate 2 different
            > monitors to match eath other:
            > - backlight color temperature
            > - monitor gamma and DR
            > - phosphor layer on CRTs
            > - fitness/age of your monitor
            > etc

            True, it is impossible to calibrate two different monitors to be
            identical. But in practical terms it works. What you need is to two
            video cards, so they are driven independently.

            I have a G5 with 3 different displays (a Cinerama 23", a Dell 23" lcd,
            and a Sony 410 CRT). They are all good displays. The Cinerama works
            best in general but the CRT has better detail in shadows.

            When I move images from one to the other they look reasonably identical.

            But Bernhard makes a great point: you don't want a calibrated monitor
            to prepare images that are going to be viewed by the masses. What you
            need is to two fairly common and uncalibrated displays, so you see the
            images the way they are going to be viewed.

            And just to add to the equation... some Web browsers do not support
            ICC profiles. Firefox is one of them, so the last thing you want to do
            is prepare images with a profile such as AdobeRGB.

            For my own site (http://silvernegative.com) I use Generic RGB. I seems
            to work fairly well.

            dmg
            http://turingmachine.org