Rectalinear Insertion Calculator.

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
      The ypr for the original position of rectilinear views extracted is not the
      same for the equirectalinear view.

      Is there a calculator somewhere to figure these out?

      In English.
      1. Load your panorama
      2. output a rectalinear file, say 100 fov Yaw 187.523 Pitch 12.4 roll 0.5
      3. Do some retouching.
      4. Load your rectilinear file back in panorama tools, and try to position it
      back to where it came from.
      5. Output a panorama layer.

      How do you do this without control points?

      Sacha Griffin
      Southern Digital Solutions LLC
      www.southern-digital.com
      www.seeit360.net
      www.ezphotosafe.com
      404-551-4275
      404-731-7798
    • Jim Watters
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
        Sacha Griffin wrote:
        > The ypr for the original position of rectilinear views extracted is not the
        > same for the equirectalinear view.
        >
        > Is there a calculator somewhere to figure these out?
        >
        > In English.
        > 1. Load your panorama
        > 2. output a rectalinear file, say 100 fov Yaw 187.523 Pitch 12.4 roll 0.5
        > 3. Do some retouching.
        > 4. Load your rectilinear file back in panorama tools, and try to position it
        > back to where it came from.
        > 5. Output a panorama layer.
        >
        > How do you do this without control points?

        Plenty of this is covered in the Wiki
        http://wiki.panotools.org/Extracting_and_inserting_rectilinear_Views

        PTEditor is a panorama viewer that will export and insert what is being
        viewed.
        If you know the ypr you want to work with then use the Photoshop plugins
        You can use FSPViewer to get the ypr of what you interested in.
        http://www.fsoft.it/panorama/FSPViewer.htm

        Fulvio, is it possible to a feature to FSPViewer so it can replace
        PTEditor. Copy the current view using hi quality transform. Remember
        that position of extraction and insert and image back in.

        --
        Jim Watters

        jwatters @ photocreations . ca
        http://photocreations.ca
      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
          PTEditor is slow, clumsy and 8bit.

          The adjust plugins do not work on large images unless you have a LOT of
          memory.

          Example, 8000x4000 1bit with 2 GB of memory.

          Which is why I'd like to use panorama tools, to do this the quick way.

          It only takes seconds to input the data and output a tif.

          I remember pteditor taking ages, that is if it didn't crash.

          _____

          http://www.fsoft. <http://www.fsoft.it/panorama/FSPViewer.htm>
          it/panorama/FSPViewer.htm

          Fulvio, is it possible to a feature to FSPViewer so it can replace
          PTEditor. Copy the current view using hi quality transform. Remember
          that position of extraction and insert and image back in.

          --
          Jim Watters

          jwatters @ photocreations . ca
          http://photocreatio <http://photocreations.ca> ns.ca

        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
            Nevermind, The wiki is good.

            But I wonder how you could do the numerical transform to the original
            position on the panorama without remembering what you transformed.

            As long as you right that down you should be ok.

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
              I apologize again. You do enter in the same ypr in the numerical transform
              as the extracted views ypr.

              It just seemed a little strange it should work out like that.

              <http://wiki.
[...]

              http://photocreatio <http://photocreatio <http://photocreations.ca> ns.ca>
              ns.ca

            • Fulvio Senore
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
                Jim Watters ha scritto:
                > Sacha Griffin wrote:
                >
                >> The ypr for the original position of rectilinear views extracted is not the
                >> same for the equirectalinear view.
                >>
                >> Is there a calculator somewhere to figure these out?
                >>
                >> In English.
                >> 1. Load your panorama
                >> 2. output a rectalinear file, say 100 fov Yaw 187.523 Pitch 12.4 roll 0.5
                >> 3. Do some retouching.
                >> 4. Load your rectilinear file back in panorama tools, and try to position it
                >> back to where it came from.
                >> 5. Output a panorama layer.
                >>
                >> How do you do this without control points?
                >>

                > Plenty of this is covered in the Wiki
                > http://wiki.panotools.org/Extracting_and_inserting_rectilinear_Views
                >
                > PTEditor is a panorama viewer that will export and insert what is being
                > viewed.
                > If you know the ypr you want to work with then use the Photoshop plugins
                > You can use FSPViewer to get the ypr of what you interested in.
                > http://www.fsoft.it/panorama/FSPViewer.htm
                >
                > Fulvio, is it possible to a feature to FSPViewer so it can replace
                > PTEditor. Copy the current view using hi quality transform. Remember
                > that position of extraction and insert and image back in.

                Yes, it would be possible, but it would require a lot of work. At the
                moment FSPViewer can only read images: with this features it would need
                to write them too.

                Fulvio Senore
              • dmgalpha
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin" <sachagriffin@...>
                  wrote:

                  > The ypr for the original position of rectilinear views extracted is
                  not the
                  > same for the equirectalinear view.
                  >
                  > Is there a calculator somewhere to figure these out?
                  >
                  > In English.
                  > 1. Load your panorama
                  > 2. output a rectalinear file, say 100 fov Yaw 187.523 Pitch 12.4
                  roll 0.5

                  Why rectilinear? Why don't you output equirectangular?

                  I would:

                  * Create an equirectangular of section needed
                  * Manipulate
                  * Shift back to its original location (with the proper offsets, this
                  might require some simple arithmetic calculations). It can be done
                  with a tiffset (and it you want to avoid using PTblender in next step,
                  then PTuncrop).
                  * Merge (via PTblender, or Photoshop).

                  No remapping is required.

                  dmg
                • Sacha Griffin
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
                    I assume you are referring to seam retouching. I am referring to retouching
                    anywhere.

                    It's quite impossible or at least very time consuming to retouch tiles,
                    bricks, lattices etc on a remapped equirectangular image.

                    Anyway, the correct panotools/ptgui/ptmac method is spelled out quite
                    clearly in the wiki and is much faster & simpler.

                    Thanks Erik.

                  • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
                      Hi Fulvio,
                      Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but otherwise a feature request from me
                      would be for a switch to allow you to start up FSPViewer from the
                      commandline straight into the seamless fullscreen view and optionally have
                      hotspots visible as well.

                      Other than that it has been a *great* offline viewer!
                      Thanks,

                      Darren.

                      )>> The ypr for the original position of rectilinear views extracted is
                      )>
                      )> Fulvio, is it possible to a feature to FSPViewer so it can replace
                      )> PTEditor. Copy the current view using hi quality transform. Remember
                      )> that position of extraction and insert and image back in.
                      )>
                      )>
                      )Yes, it would be possible, but it would require a lot of work.
                      )At the moment FSPViewer can only read images: with this
                      )features it would need to write them too.
                      )
                      )Fulvio Senore
                      )

                      23:39
                    • Fulvio Senore
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 3, 2007
                        Hi Darren,

                        somebody else has already asked for the first feature: I will see if I
                        can add it.

                        It is already possible to open a panorama with hotspots enabled with a
                        command line switch.

                        Fulvio Senore

                        PanoToolsNG.10.m8@... ha scritto:
                        > Hi Fulvio,
                        > Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but otherwise a feature request from me
                        > would be for a switch to allow you to start up FSPViewer from the
                        > commandline straight into the seamless fullscreen view and optionally have
                        > hotspots visible as well.
                        >
                        > Other than that it has been a *great* offline viewer!
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Darren.

                      • Bruno Postle
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 3, 2007
                          On Fri 02-Feb-2007 at 18:08 +0100, Fulvio Senore wrote:

                          > > Fulvio, is it possible to a feature to FSPViewer so it can replace
                          > > PTEditor. Copy the current view using hi quality transform. Remember
                          > > that position of extraction and insert and image back in.

                          > Yes, it would be possible, but it would require a lot of work. At the
                          > moment FSPViewer can only read images: with this features it would need
                          > to write them too.

                          Surely all it needs to be able to do is pass the current filename,
                          roll, pitch, yaw and fov to an external script.

                          This script can then manage extracting the image, passing it to an
                          editor and reinserting it into the panorama. All the viewer then
                          needs to do is reload.

                          --
                          Bruno