OT: Monitor color calibration

  • Ingemar Bergmark
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
      Does anybody have experience with the Spyder2Pro for monitor color
      calibration (especially with a LCD flatpanel), or are there other
      solutions that will work as good?

      Regards,
      Ingemar Bergmark
      http://panoramas.bergmark.com
    • Pat Swovelin
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
        Ingemar Bergmark wrote:
        > Does anybody have experience with the Spyder2Pro for monitor color
        > calibration (especially with a LCD flatpanel), or are there other
        > solutions that will work as good?

        Yes, and it's great.

        > Regards,
        > Ingemar Bergmark
        > http://panoramas.bergmark.com

        Pat Swovelin
        Cool Guy @ Large
      • Carel
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
          Pat Swovelin-2 wrote:

          > Ingemar Bergmark wrote:
          >> Does anybody have experience with the Spyder2Pro for monitor color
          >> calibration (especially with a LCD flatpanel), or are there other
          >> solutions that will work as good?
          >
          > Yes, and it's great.
          >
          >> Regards,
          >> Ingemar Bergmark
          >> http://panoramas.bergmark.com
          >
          > Pat Swovelin
          > Cool Guy @ Large

          I have been happy with it. Recently I convinced a client in Europe who is
          very picky about color accuracy to buy the SpyderII, but he was not
          impressed because after calibration his two CRT monitors still looked very
          different, with noticably different color shifts. This still leaves us with
          the same problem of discussing colors accross the ocean and apparently
          looking at different color representations.

          carel

        • Robert C. Fisher
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
            I use the Monaco Optix, at the time I purchased it it was the only
            calibrater for LCDs available. Everyone else was just coming to
            market with theirs. It's simple to use and accurate. I have had an
            LCD monitor for 5 years, my first was a Viewsonics 15" very sharp but
            unusable until I profiled it with the Optix calibrator and my current
            is an Apple Cinema Display 23". Very good out of the box but awesome
            once profiled.

            On Feb 2, 2007, at 4:12 AM, Ingemar Bergmark wrote:

            > Does anybody have experience with the Spyder2Pro for monitor color
            > calibration (especially with a LCD flatpanel), or are there other
            > solutions that will work as good?
            >
            > Regards,
            > Ingemar Bergmark
            > http://panoramas.bergmark.com

            Cheers
            Robert C. Fisher
            VR Photography/Cinematography
          • Bernhard Vogl
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2007
              There are reasons that make it impossible to calibrate 2 different
              monitors to match eath other:
              - backlight color temperature
              - monitor gamma and DR
              - phosphor layer on CRTs
              - fitness/age of your monitor
              etc

              To add some personal words about the myth of 2 perfectly calibrated
              monitors. I have an Acer (LCD) and a Samsung (TFT) monitor side by side
              on my desk, and they are like day and night. One has daylight-alike WB
              and a steep gamma curve, the other one is tungsten-alike with a a very
              smooth gamma - like negative film. One won't show you yellow color casts
              in the sky, the other is missing deep shadows.
              I have tried to approximate both monitors using the ColorSpider, but
              this makes things only worse IMHO: besides loosing the advantage of each
              monitor, they'd never match anyway.
              I use both displays to accurately check visual appearance of my photos,
              so that everyone who will watch my panoramas will have roughly the same
              visual impression...

              Bernhard

              > I have been happy with it. Recently I convinced a client in Europe who is
              > very picky about color accuracy to buy the SpyderII, but he was not
              > impressed because after calibration his two CRT monitors still looked very
              > different, with noticably different color shifts. This still leaves us with
              > the same problem of discussing colors accross the ocean and apparently
              > looking at different color representations.

            • dmgalpha
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3, 2007
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:

                > There are reasons that make it impossible to calibrate 2 different
                > monitors to match eath other:
                > - backlight color temperature
                > - monitor gamma and DR
                > - phosphor layer on CRTs
                > - fitness/age of your monitor
                > etc

                True, it is impossible to calibrate two different monitors to be
                identical. But in practical terms it works. What you need is to two
                video cards, so they are driven independently.

                I have a G5 with 3 different displays (a Cinerama 23", a Dell 23" lcd,
                and a Sony 410 CRT). They are all good displays. The Cinerama works
                best in general but the CRT has better detail in shadows.

                When I move images from one to the other they look reasonably identical.

                But Bernhard makes a great point: you don't want a calibrated monitor
                to prepare images that are going to be viewed by the masses. What you
                need is to two fairly common and uncalibrated displays, so you see the
                images the way they are going to be viewed.

                And just to add to the equation... some Web browsers do not support
                ICC profiles. Firefox is one of them, so the last thing you want to do
                is prepare images with a profile such as AdobeRGB.

                For my own site (http://silvernegative.com) I use Generic RGB. I seems
                to work fairly well.

                dmg
                http://turingmachine.org