Re: [PanoToolsNG] Another "my first" pole pano

  • Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1 3:11 PM
      Pat Swovelin-2 wrote:

      > you should, IMHO, shoot a pano from the fort to show how
      > massive the mound is. It's size and especially height are lost in your
      > pano because everything "falls away" from you in the pano whereas in a
      > shot from the fort you'd be able to see it in context with the fort and
      > be able to tell how large it really is.

      Well it was one of my first sphericals, a two-row done with an 11-18 zoom
      and my old KiWi-L. You can see it at
      http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-balkon/e
      Actually I have worked in this fort for a few years and this is the view
      from a balcony outside my room.

      >> BTW, I'm doing 120 deg rotations for just three images (the famous
      >> 5D/10.5
      >> combo).
      > You might want more coverage than that when you're doing pole panos to
      > make your stitching easier with a larger overlap.

      This would give me one more (possibly problematic) seam though :-(
      I wonder if using 3 or 4 images makes a difference in sharpness. Has anyone
      tested this?

      zbooy
    • Pat Swovelin
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1 3:43 PM
        Szymon "Zbooy" Madej wrote:

        > Pat Swovelin-2 wrote:
        >> you should, IMHO, shoot a pano from the fort to show how
        >> massive the mound is. It's size and especially height are lost in your
        >> pano because everything "falls away" from you in the pano whereas in a
        >> shot from the fort you'd be able to see it in context with the fort and
        >> be able to tell how large it really is.
        >>

        > Well it was one of my first sphericals, a two-row done with an 11-18 zoom
        > and my old KiWi-L. You can see it at
        > http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-balkon/e

        That puts it into context. Thanks. Are you one of the people inside?

        > Actually I have worked in this fort for a few years and this is the view
        > from a balcony outside my room.

        What do you mean "worked?" Are you a prisoner in the dungeon or what?
        Do you want me to send you a hacksaw so you can escape? =8^)

        >>> BTW, I'm doing 120 deg rotations for just three images (the famous
        >>> 5D/10.5
        >>> combo).
        >> You might want more coverage than that when you're doing pole panos to
        >> make your stitching easier with a larger overlap.
        >>

        > This would give me one more (possibly problematic) seam though :-(

        Most people I know shoot 6 around on a monopod if their normal is 4 on a
        tripod to give them better coverage especially if their pole has a
        tendency to sway or there's movement in the shot (e.g., people, cars,
        etc.)..

        > I wonder if using 3 or 4 images makes a difference in sharpness. Has
        > anyone
        > tested this?

        With respect to the number of images you shoot around (3 or 4) the
        sharpness isn't a factor of how many shots you used per se, rather it's
        a factor of the body/lens combination you used.

        > zbooy

        Pat Swovelin
        Cool Guy @ Large
      • Robert C. Fisher
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1 4:41 PM
          On Feb 1, 2007, at 3:11 PM, Szymon Zbooy Madej wrote:

          > Pat Swovelin-2 wrote:
          > >
          > > you should, IMHO, shoot a pano from the fort to show how
          > > massive the mound is. It's size and especially height are lost in
          > your
          > > pano because everything "falls away" from you in the pano whereas
          > in a
          > > shot from the fort you'd be able to see it in context with the
          > fort and
          > > be able to tell how large it really is.
          > >

          > Well it was one of my first sphericals, a two-row done with an
          > 11-18 zoom
          > and my old KiWi-L. You can see it at
          > http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-balkon/e
          > Actually I have worked in this fort for a few years and this is the
          > view
          > from a balcony outside my room.
          >
          > >> BTW, I'm doing 120 deg rotations for just three images (the famous
          > >> 5D/10.5
          > >> combo).
          > > You might want more coverage than that when you're doing pole
          > panos to
          > > make your stitching easier with a larger overlap.
          > >

          > This would give me one more (possibly problematic) seam though :-(
          > I wonder if using 3 or 4 images makes a difference in sharpness.
          > Has anyone
          > tested this?
          It would give you more overlap and you would be able to get rid of
          some of the Chromatic aberrations on the edge of the lens. You can
          also use the app you use to convert from raw to tiffs to eliminate
          the CA. Photoshop CS2's raw converter does this pretty well. I think
          DXO and some others do this as well.

          What size were the cube faces of your QTVR version? The image looks
          nice and sharp, some softness at the blends due to CA but it's not
          too bad.

          > zbooy
          > --

          Cheers
          Robert C. Fisher
          VR Photography/Cinematography
        • Roger D. Williams
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1 6:11 PM
            On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 23:13:20 +0900, Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
            <panoramy@...> wrote:

            > Hello everyone,
            >
            > As I have proudly joined the rank of pole-panoramists, here comes my
            > first
            > pole image:
            > http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-kosciuszki-pod-szczytem-maszt/e
            >
            > Delivery of Agnos pole from Italy to Poland took just 4 days but due to
            > very
            > windy weather I had to wait another week or so to make some use of it.
            > Balancing $3K of delicate equipment 6 meters above the ground still
            > gives me
            > lots of adrenaline :-)

            It's a very fine panorama and no-one would guess it was a first attempt!

            Two things: (1) the image seems VERY sensitive to slight mouse/cursor
            movements, whizzing around at great speed. (2) It seems to go in the
            opposite direction to normal. So the result was very suprising...
            instead of moving slowly to the left the image shot off to the right.
            Is this just me?

            Roger

            --
            Work: www.adex-japan.com
            Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1 7:20 PM
              Roger D. Williams wrote:
              > On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 23:13:20 +0900, Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
              > <panoramy@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Hello everyone,
              >>
              >> As I have proudly joined the rank of pole-panoramists, here comes my
              >> first
              >> pole image:
              >> http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-kosciuszki-pod-szczytem-maszt/e
              >>
              >> Delivery of Agnos pole from Italy to Poland took just 4 days but due to
              >> very
              >> windy weather I had to wait another week or so to make some use of it.
              >> Balancing $3K of delicate equipment 6 meters above the ground still
              >> gives me
              >> lots of adrenaline :-)
              >
              > It's a very fine panorama and no-one would guess it was a first attempt!
              >
              > Two things: (1) the image seems VERY sensitive to slight mouse/cursor
              > movements, whizzing around at great speed. (2) It seems to go in the
              > opposite direction to normal. So the result was very suprising...
              > instead of moving slowly to the left the image shot off to the right.
              > Is this just me?

              It's just you. I checked it in Opera (because that's what you use) and
              the DevalVR version works as expected.

              > Roger

              Pat Swovelin
              Cool Guy @ Large
            • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1 7:50 PM
                No problems here either.
                Some day I'm going to have to try out Opera's mail offering.

                Darren.

                )> <panoramy@... <mailto:panoramy%40zbooy.pl> > wrote:
                )>> Hello everyone,
                )>> As I have proudly joined the rank of pole-panoramists, here
                )comes my
                )>> first pole image:
                )http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-kosciuszki-pod-szczytem-maszt
                )>> /e
                )<http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-kosciuszki-pod-szczytem-masz
                )>> t/e>
                )> It's a very fine panorama and no-one would guess it was a
                )first attempt!
                )>
                )
                )It's just you. I checked it in Opera (because that's what you
                )use) and the DevalVR version works as expected.
                )
                )> Roger
                )
                )Pat Swovelin
                )Cool Guy @ Large
                )

                17:02
              • Roger D. Williams
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 1 8:30 PM
                  Thanks, Pat. Good to know. Puzzling, though... <frown>

                  Roger

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 1 9:20 PM
                    PanoToolsNG.10.m8@... wrote:
                    > No problems here either.
                    > Some day I'm going to have to try out Opera's mail offering.

                    Check out Thunderbird.

                    > Darren.

                    Pat Swovelin
                    Cool Guy @ Large
                  • Roger D. Williams
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 1 10:53 PM
                      On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 14:20:26 +0900, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...>
                      wrote:

                      > PanoToolsNG.10.m8@... wrote:
                      >> No problems here either.
                      >> Some day I'm going to have to try out Opera's mail offering.
                      >
                      > Check out Thunderbird.

                      No, I am afraid I am addicted to Opera's mail client. The browser
                      is almost not worth the trouble and I frequently have to use
                      Firefox, but it's the mail client that chains me to it. There is
                      nothing else as good. For me, anyway...

                      Roger

                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 2 1:44 AM
                        )wrote:
                        )
                        )> PanoToolsNG.10.m8@s...> wrote:
                        )>> No problems here either.
                        )>> Some day I'm going to have to try out Opera's mail offering.
                        )>
                        )> Check out Thunderbird.
                        )
                        )No, I am afraid I am addicted to Opera's mail client. The
                        )browser is almost not worth the trouble and I frequently have
                        )to use Firefox, but it's the mail client that chains me to it.
                        )There is nothing else as good. For me, anyway...
                        )
                        )Roger

                        That's funny.
                        I nearly use Opera exclusively for browsing.
                        (unfortunately, I'm often forced to get Opera to pretend I'm using a
                        different browser so those websites will serve me the information that I
                        want to view.)

                        Darren.

                        17:02
                      • Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 2 2:19 AM
                          Pat Swovelin-2 wrote:

                          > That puts it into context. Thanks. Are you one of the people inside?

                          Sure I am :-)
                          And I made one more pano inside yesterday afternoon, testing 5D/10.5 combo's
                          ability to shoot close-to-the-subject images. 3 around seems to be enough
                          for this kind of work. The resulting pano is right there at
                          http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/

                          >> Actually I have worked in this fort for a few years and this is the view
                          >> from a balcony outside my room.
                          >
                          > What do you mean "worked?" Are you a prisoner in the dungeon or what?
                          > Do you want me to send you a hacksaw so you can escape? =8^)

                          Thanks but now I can use my new pole and either slide down from my balcony
                          fireman-style or make a pole-vault straight to the mound :-)

                          Part of the fort has been for 15+ years adapted by the RMF FM radio station,
                          the biggest commercial one in Poland, and it's them that make me able to
                          afford my pano hobby.
                          And part of the dungeons were converted to a recording studio :-)

                          > With respect to the number of images you shoot around (3 or 4) the
                          > sharpness isn't a factor of how many shots you used per se, rather it's
                          > a factor of the body/lens combination you used.

                          Right.... unless the seam area comes from the lesser-quality area of both
                          images. Sharpness might suffer then.

                          zbooy

                        • Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 2 2:23 AM
                            Juergen Schrader wrote:

                            > Good Work, Szymon.
                            > (I've already been waiting for somone doing this in Poleland *g*).

                            *LOL*
                            Thanks, Juergen, but I have way to go yet to be able to make such stunning
                            images as your zeppelin one.

                            > I also enjoyed the ones from the Tatry. A place I always wanted to visit.
                            > Maybe next summer ...

                            Contact me if you do, we might meet there for a bit of pano shooting, beer
                            drinking or whatever :-)

                            zbooy

                          • Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 2 2:36 AM
                              > What size were the cube faces of your QTVR version? The image looks
                              > nice and sharp, some softness at the blends due to CA but it's not
                              > too bad.

                              AFAIR, the equirect was 6600x3300 px and the cube face size was ~1650 px
                              square.

                              The CA effects are most apparent in the nadir region as it's the area made
                              entirely of image circle peripherals.

                              zbooy

                            • Roger D. Williams
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 4 6:36 PM
                                On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 18:44:28 +0900, <PanoToolsNG.10.m8@...>
                                wrote:

> [...]

                                Ah, that may be the trick I should use. For a time I was telling the world
                                that Opera was Microsoft IE, but that didn't help very much, so I kind of
                                gave up on that feature. What do YOU pretend it to be?

                                Roger

                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 5 6:29 AM
                                  Here's another panorama I made yesterday:
                                  http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/bielany-wejscie-maszt/e
                                  Nothing special as the lighting was rather poor. This time I made 4 shots
                                  around though and was looking up at the camera to minimize parallax. I also
                                  used enblend 3.0 and only had to do a little nadir patching, the rest was
                                  just fine straight out of PTGui.

                                  zbooy