Re: Another "my first" pole pano

  • Juergen Schrader
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
      Good Work, Szymon.
      (I've already been waiting for somone doing this in Poleland *g*).

      I also enjoyed the ones from the Tatry. A place I always wanted to
      visit. Maybe next summer ...

      cu
      Jürgen
    • Pat Swovelin
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
        Szymon "Zbooy" Madej wrote:
        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > As I have proudly joined the rank of pole-panoramists, here comes my first
        > pole image:
        > http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-kosciuszki-pod-szczytem-maszt/e

        Great pano. What was the original intention for the mound, was it a
        lookout "tower" of some kind?

        > Delivery of Agnos pole from Italy to Poland took just 4 days but due
        > to very
        > windy weather I had to wait another week or so to make some use of it.
        > Balancing $3K of delicate equipment 6 meters above the ground still
        > gives me
        > lots of adrenaline :-)
        >
        > I've got a question for more experienced of you - how do you keep your
        > camera from swaying so much from side to side when pole-mounted?

        If you're looking up at the camera as you rotate the pole you'll be able
        to see that it's staying in place as you rotate it vs. if you're looking
        at the bubble level as you rotate it then look up and have to wait for
        the swaying to die down. Once it's initially leveled (on the bubble)
        it's quite easy to look at the camera and keep it in that 'location" in
        the air as you rotate it. Plus you're only rotating it a few degrees
        (90° at most and probably only 60°) so it shouldn't have a lot of
        lateral G-force (because the weight isn't centered over the pole, the
        lens is) on it as it rotates.

        > zbooy

        Pat Swovelin
        Cool Guy @ Large
      • Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
          Pat Swovelin-2 wrote:

          > What was the original intention for the mound, was it a
          > lookout "tower" of some kind?

          Yes, I know, I really should make English descriptions somewhat longer
          but... "so much to do, so little time" :-)
          Actually this 30+ metres high mound was built on a hill above Kraków in the
          1820s to commemorate Tadeusz Kosciuszko, a Polish (and American) freedom
          fighter. The fort that surrounds it is some 30 years younger; it was built
          by Austrians as a part of the Kraków Fortress.
          Here's the official site:
          http://www.kopieckosciuszki.pl/?x=historia_kopca&lang=en

          > Once it's initially leveled (on the bubble)
          > it's quite easy to look at the camera and keep it in that 'location" in
          > the air as you rotate it. Plus you're only rotating it a few degrees
          > (90° at most and probably only 60°) so it shouldn't have a lot of
          > lateral G-force (because the weight isn't centered over the pole, the
          > lens is) on it as it rotates.

          OK, I get it, thanks a lot. I just need to practice a bit more, hopefully
          over the weekend.
          BTW, I'm doing 120 deg rotations for just three images (the famous 5D/10.5
          combo).

          zbooy

        • Pat Swovelin
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
            Szymon "Zbooy" Madej wrote:

            > Pat Swovelin-2 wrote:
            >> What was the original intention for the mound, was it a
            >> lookout "tower" of some kind?
            >>

            > Yes, I know, I really should make English descriptions somewhat longer
            > but... "so much to do, so little time" :-)
            > Actually this 30+ metres high mound was built on a hill above Kraków
            > in the
            > 1820s to commemorate Tadeusz Kosciuszko, a Polish (and American) freedom
            > fighter. The fort that surrounds it is some 30 years younger; it was built
            > by Austrians as a part of the Kraków Fortress.
            > Here's the official site:
            > http://www.kopieckosciuszki.pl/?x=historia_kopca&lang=en

            Thanks. Boy, there's a lot of history on that page. After having seen
            that page you should, IMHO, shoot a pano from the fort to show how
            massive the mound is. It's size and especially height are lost in your
            pano because everything "falls away" from you in the pano whereas in a
            shot from the fort you'd be able to see it in context with the fort and
            be able to tell how large it really is.

            Or not... =8^)

            After having been to the site above I'd say you need to get them to link
            to your pano in favor of what they're using now. There's a night and
            day difference.

            >> Once it's initially leveled (on the bubble)
            >> it's quite easy to look at the camera and keep it in that 'location" in
            >> the air as you rotate it. Plus you're only rotating it a few degrees
            >> (90° at most and probably only 60°) so it shouldn't have a lot of
            >> lateral G-force (because the weight isn't centered over the pole, the
            >> lens is) on it as it rotates.
            >>

            > OK, I get it, thanks a lot. I just need to practice a bit more, hopefully
            > over the weekend.
            > BTW, I'm doing 120 deg rotations for just three images (the famous 5D/10.5
            > combo).

            You might want more coverage than that when you're doing pole panos to
            make your stitching easier with a larger overlap.

            > zbooy

            Pat Swovelin
            Cool Guy @ Large
          • Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
              Pat Swovelin-2 wrote:

              > you should, IMHO, shoot a pano from the fort to show how
              > massive the mound is. It's size and especially height are lost in your
              > pano because everything "falls away" from you in the pano whereas in a
              > shot from the fort you'd be able to see it in context with the fort and
              > be able to tell how large it really is.

              Well it was one of my first sphericals, a two-row done with an 11-18 zoom
              and my old KiWi-L. You can see it at
              http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-balkon/e
              Actually I have worked in this fort for a few years and this is the view
              from a balcony outside my room.

              >> BTW, I'm doing 120 deg rotations for just three images (the famous
              >> 5D/10.5
              >> combo).
              > You might want more coverage than that when you're doing pole panos to
              > make your stitching easier with a larger overlap.

              This would give me one more (possibly problematic) seam though :-(
              I wonder if using 3 or 4 images makes a difference in sharpness. Has anyone
              tested this?

              zbooy
            • Pat Swovelin
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                Szymon "Zbooy" Madej wrote:

                > Pat Swovelin-2 wrote:
                >> you should, IMHO, shoot a pano from the fort to show how
                >> massive the mound is. It's size and especially height are lost in your
                >> pano because everything "falls away" from you in the pano whereas in a
                >> shot from the fort you'd be able to see it in context with the fort and
                >> be able to tell how large it really is.
                >>

                > Well it was one of my first sphericals, a two-row done with an 11-18 zoom
                > and my old KiWi-L. You can see it at
                > http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-balkon/e

                That puts it into context. Thanks. Are you one of the people inside?

                > Actually I have worked in this fort for a few years and this is the view
                > from a balcony outside my room.

                What do you mean "worked?" Are you a prisoner in the dungeon or what?
                Do you want me to send you a hacksaw so you can escape? =8^)

                >>> BTW, I'm doing 120 deg rotations for just three images (the famous
                >>> 5D/10.5
                >>> combo).
                >> You might want more coverage than that when you're doing pole panos to
                >> make your stitching easier with a larger overlap.
                >>

                > This would give me one more (possibly problematic) seam though :-(

                Most people I know shoot 6 around on a monopod if their normal is 4 on a
                tripod to give them better coverage especially if their pole has a
                tendency to sway or there's movement in the shot (e.g., people, cars,
                etc.)..

                > I wonder if using 3 or 4 images makes a difference in sharpness. Has
                > anyone
                > tested this?

                With respect to the number of images you shoot around (3 or 4) the
                sharpness isn't a factor of how many shots you used per se, rather it's
                a factor of the body/lens combination you used.

                > zbooy

                Pat Swovelin
                Cool Guy @ Large
              • Robert C. Fisher
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                  On Feb 1, 2007, at 3:11 PM, Szymon Zbooy Madej wrote:

                  > Pat Swovelin-2 wrote:
                  > >
                  > > you should, IMHO, shoot a pano from the fort to show how
                  > > massive the mound is. It's size and especially height are lost in
                  > your
                  > > pano because everything "falls away" from you in the pano whereas
                  > in a
                  > > shot from the fort you'd be able to see it in context with the
                  > fort and
                  > > be able to tell how large it really is.
                  > >

                  > Well it was one of my first sphericals, a two-row done with an
                  > 11-18 zoom
                  > and my old KiWi-L. You can see it at
                  > http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-balkon/e
                  > Actually I have worked in this fort for a few years and this is the
                  > view
                  > from a balcony outside my room.
                  >
                  > >> BTW, I'm doing 120 deg rotations for just three images (the famous
                  > >> 5D/10.5
                  > >> combo).
                  > > You might want more coverage than that when you're doing pole
                  > panos to
                  > > make your stitching easier with a larger overlap.
                  > >

                  > This would give me one more (possibly problematic) seam though :-(
                  > I wonder if using 3 or 4 images makes a difference in sharpness.
                  > Has anyone
                  > tested this?
                  It would give you more overlap and you would be able to get rid of
                  some of the Chromatic aberrations on the edge of the lens. You can
                  also use the app you use to convert from raw to tiffs to eliminate
                  the CA. Photoshop CS2's raw converter does this pretty well. I think
                  DXO and some others do this as well.

                  What size were the cube faces of your QTVR version? The image looks
                  nice and sharp, some softness at the blends due to CA but it's not
                  too bad.

                  > zbooy
                  > --

                  Cheers
                  Robert C. Fisher
                  VR Photography/Cinematography
                • Roger D. Williams
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                    On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 23:13:20 +0900, Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
                    <panoramy@...> wrote:

                    > Hello everyone,
                    >
                    > As I have proudly joined the rank of pole-panoramists, here comes my
                    > first
                    > pole image:
                    > http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-kosciuszki-pod-szczytem-maszt/e
                    >
                    > Delivery of Agnos pole from Italy to Poland took just 4 days but due to
                    > very
                    > windy weather I had to wait another week or so to make some use of it.
                    > Balancing $3K of delicate equipment 6 meters above the ground still
                    > gives me
                    > lots of adrenaline :-)

                    It's a very fine panorama and no-one would guess it was a first attempt!

                    Two things: (1) the image seems VERY sensitive to slight mouse/cursor
                    movements, whizzing around at great speed. (2) It seems to go in the
                    opposite direction to normal. So the result was very suprising...
                    instead of moving slowly to the left the image shot off to the right.
                    Is this just me?

                    Roger

                    --
                    Work: www.adex-japan.com
                    Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                      Roger D. Williams wrote:
                      > On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 23:13:20 +0900, Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
                      > <panoramy@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Hello everyone,
                      >>
                      >> As I have proudly joined the rank of pole-panoramists, here comes my
                      >> first
                      >> pole image:
                      >> http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-kosciuszki-pod-szczytem-maszt/e
                      >>
                      >> Delivery of Agnos pole from Italy to Poland took just 4 days but due to
                      >> very
                      >> windy weather I had to wait another week or so to make some use of it.
                      >> Balancing $3K of delicate equipment 6 meters above the ground still
                      >> gives me
                      >> lots of adrenaline :-)
                      >
                      > It's a very fine panorama and no-one would guess it was a first attempt!
                      >
                      > Two things: (1) the image seems VERY sensitive to slight mouse/cursor
                      > movements, whizzing around at great speed. (2) It seems to go in the
                      > opposite direction to normal. So the result was very suprising...
                      > instead of moving slowly to the left the image shot off to the right.
                      > Is this just me?

                      It's just you. I checked it in Opera (because that's what you use) and
                      the DevalVR version works as expected.

                      > Roger

                      Pat Swovelin
                      Cool Guy @ Large
                    • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                        No problems here either.
                        Some day I'm going to have to try out Opera's mail offering.

                        Darren.

                        )> <panoramy@... <mailto:panoramy%40zbooy.pl> > wrote:
                        )>> Hello everyone,
                        )>> As I have proudly joined the rank of pole-panoramists, here
                        )comes my
                        )>> first pole image:
                        )http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-kosciuszki-pod-szczytem-maszt
                        )>> /e
                        )<http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-kosciuszki-pod-szczytem-masz
                        )>> t/e>
                        )> It's a very fine panorama and no-one would guess it was a
                        )first attempt!
                        )>
                        )
                        )It's just you. I checked it in Opera (because that's what you
                        )use) and the DevalVR version works as expected.
                        )
                        )> Roger
                        )
                        )Pat Swovelin
                        )Cool Guy @ Large
                        )

                        17:02
                      • Roger D. Williams
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                          Thanks, Pat. Good to know. Puzzling, though... <frown>

                          Roger

                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                            PanoToolsNG.10.m8@... wrote:
                            > No problems here either.
                            > Some day I'm going to have to try out Opera's mail offering.

                            Check out Thunderbird.

                            > Darren.

                            Pat Swovelin
                            Cool Guy @ Large
                          • Roger D. Williams
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                              On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 14:20:26 +0900, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...>
                              wrote:

                              > PanoToolsNG.10.m8@... wrote:
                              >> No problems here either.
                              >> Some day I'm going to have to try out Opera's mail offering.
                              >
                              > Check out Thunderbird.

                              No, I am afraid I am addicted to Opera's mail client. The browser
                              is almost not worth the trouble and I frequently have to use
                              Firefox, but it's the mail client that chains me to it. There is
                              nothing else as good. For me, anyway...

                              Roger

                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 2, 2007
                                )wrote:
                                )
                                )> PanoToolsNG.10.m8@s...> wrote:
                                )>> No problems here either.
                                )>> Some day I'm going to have to try out Opera's mail offering.
                                )>
                                )> Check out Thunderbird.
                                )
                                )No, I am afraid I am addicted to Opera's mail client. The
                                )browser is almost not worth the trouble and I frequently have
                                )to use Firefox, but it's the mail client that chains me to it.
                                )There is nothing else as good. For me, anyway...
                                )
                                )Roger

                                That's funny.
                                I nearly use Opera exclusively for browsing.
                                (unfortunately, I'm often forced to get Opera to pretend I'm using a
                                different browser so those websites will serve me the information that I
                                want to view.)

                                Darren.

                                17:02
                              • Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 2, 2007
                                  Pat Swovelin-2 wrote:

                                  > That puts it into context. Thanks. Are you one of the people inside?

                                  Sure I am :-)
                                  And I made one more pano inside yesterday afternoon, testing 5D/10.5 combo's
                                  ability to shoot close-to-the-subject images. 3 around seems to be enough
                                  for this kind of work. The resulting pano is right there at
                                  http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/

                                  >> Actually I have worked in this fort for a few years and this is the view
                                  >> from a balcony outside my room.
                                  >
                                  > What do you mean "worked?" Are you a prisoner in the dungeon or what?
                                  > Do you want me to send you a hacksaw so you can escape? =8^)

                                  Thanks but now I can use my new pole and either slide down from my balcony
                                  fireman-style or make a pole-vault straight to the mound :-)

                                  Part of the fort has been for 15+ years adapted by the RMF FM radio station,
                                  the biggest commercial one in Poland, and it's them that make me able to
                                  afford my pano hobby.
                                  And part of the dungeons were converted to a recording studio :-)

                                  > With respect to the number of images you shoot around (3 or 4) the
                                  > sharpness isn't a factor of how many shots you used per se, rather it's
                                  > a factor of the body/lens combination you used.

                                  Right.... unless the seam area comes from the lesser-quality area of both
                                  images. Sharpness might suffer then.

                                  zbooy

                                • Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 2, 2007
                                    Juergen Schrader wrote:

                                    > Good Work, Szymon.
                                    > (I've already been waiting for somone doing this in Poleland *g*).

                                    *LOL*
                                    Thanks, Juergen, but I have way to go yet to be able to make such stunning
                                    images as your zeppelin one.

                                    > I also enjoyed the ones from the Tatry. A place I always wanted to visit.
                                    > Maybe next summer ...

                                    Contact me if you do, we might meet there for a bit of pano shooting, beer
                                    drinking or whatever :-)

                                    zbooy

                                  • Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 2, 2007
                                      > What size were the cube faces of your QTVR version? The image looks
                                      > nice and sharp, some softness at the blends due to CA but it's not
                                      > too bad.

                                      AFAIR, the equirect was 6600x3300 px and the cube face size was ~1650 px
                                      square.

                                      The CA effects are most apparent in the nadir region as it's the area made
                                      entirely of image circle peripherals.

                                      zbooy

                                    • Roger D. Williams
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 4, 2007
                                        On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 18:44:28 +0900, <PanoToolsNG.10.m8@...>
                                        wrote:

> [...]

                                        Ah, that may be the trick I should use. For a time I was telling the world
                                        that Opera was Microsoft IE, but that didn't help very much, so I kind of
                                        gave up on that feature. What do YOU pretend it to be?

                                        Roger

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 5, 2007
                                          Here's another panorama I made yesterday:
                                          http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/bielany-wejscie-maszt/e
                                          Nothing special as the lighting was rather poor. This time I made 4 shots
                                          around though and was looking up at the camera to minimize parallax. I also
                                          used enblend 3.0 and only had to do a little nadir patching, the rest was
                                          just fine straight out of PTGui.

                                          zbooy